Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sri Lanka v England, Galle, First Test ****Official Match thread****

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I've just seen England's over rate - 46 overs by tea time is appalling. The ICC should really be cracking down on this and fining teams heavily/suspending captains (or both). It won't matter in this game as it will be over in three days and there are no fans but if it's not stopped, fans are going to be very short changed.

It wasn't that long ago when teams regularly bowled more than 100 overs (in fewer hours of play), these delaying tactics really have to stop.

While I agree with your general point, there were a lot of problems with the sight screens this morning as I understand it

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've just seen England's over rate - 46 overs by tea time is appalling. The ICC should really be cracking down on this and fining teams heavily/suspending captains (or both). It won't matter in this game as it will be over in three days and there are no fans but if it's not stopped, fans are going to be very short changed.

It wasn't that long ago when teams regularly bowled more than 100 overs (in fewer hours of play), these delaying tactics really have to stop.

Several delays in the first session

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Several delays in the first session

But this is just the worst example, it's not a one-off. In the recent Sydney test, neither Australia nor India bowled the requisite number of overs on the second, third and fourth days. We're seeing in test matches all over the world and it's a problem that's getting worse.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Young [emoji106][emoji16]

Used to struggle at school during away Ashes series as I’d stay up all night listening to it under the bedsheets. For home series during the summer hols I’d always aim to get up 5 mins before play started and spend all day watching it.

Can’t best test cricket, still the best form of the game

My worst radio experience of cricket was when we got absolutely slaughtered by Greenidge and Haynes at Lords in 1984 (I think). Went into work with us ‘only needing to declare quickly and leave enough time to bowl them out’ or something and finally win after what seemed like a lifetime of batterings. Rush to the car after work for the journey, turn the radio on.....expectantly flick to the cricket and .........

.........in he comes, West Indies now 314-1 and closing in on victory.......

We’d set them something like 340 in less than 80 overs. Can’t lose [emoji23][emoji23] Greenidge brutalised the whole attack for a double century. Scoring at that rate in a test match back then was pretty much unheard of.

[emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

I'm also a big fan of Test cricket -- that and football are the sports that I waste/invest too much of my time on. My claim to fame is being present for all five days of the 2005 Oval test, and I still go there more or less every year.
That late 70s and 80s West Indies side was the best in my lifetime. I hope you've seen Fire in Babylon, if not, do.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm also a big fan of Test cricket -- that and football are the sports that I waste/invest too much of my time on. My claim to fame is being present for all five days of the 2005 Oval test, and I still go there more or less every year.
That late 70s and 80s West Indies side was the best in my lifetime. I hope you've seen Fire in Babylon, if not, do.

Thanks - indeed, great documentary. That team was genuinely terrifying with bat and ball - we were usually beaten before we started (that’s how I felt at the time anyway). Nadir for me was when Marshall batted with a broken wrist and still hit a four, then proceeded to skittle us with his arm in a cast.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But this is just the worst example, it's not a one-off. In the recent Sydney test, neither Australia nor India bowled the requisite number of overs on the second, third and fourth days. We're seeing in test matches all over the world and it's a problem that's getting worse.

Yeah it’s a bit depressing.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Root overturns his LBW dismissal by a hairs width on the bounce over the stumps.

These two are probably our best players of spin and even watching them try and play this is fairly painful :lolol:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Openers who play for England are a bit like strikers that join the Albion.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yeah it’s a bit depressing.

I've just looked up a test match at random - the first test of the 1966 Windies series.

It was over within three days (England lost by an innings) and there were 335 overs bowled - and those were six hour days. I see no reason why they can't complete 100 overs a day. The ICC really need to get a grip

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Anyone else finding bumble really bloody annoying on commentary? Talking about his boiler and putting things in the microwave...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Anyone else finding bumble really bloody annoying on commentary? Talking about his boiler and putting things in the microwave...

I don’t mind it........it’s the novelty of home-working and I can relate to a lot of it (hopping of Zoom calls to answer the door to the Amazon delivery guy, putting the bins out etc). It’s going to start to grate a bit if he does it day after day though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here