Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Squad trimming... who stays, who goes?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Last edited:

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006

Well said. Underrated player is DB.

Even if you don’t rate him as a first teamer, he’s a terrific squad option to have around and offers something different.

It seems that GP is a big fan anyway, so wouldn’t worry about him going anywhere.

I actually rate BDB as my "most improved player of the season" and his new wing-back role puts less pressure on his defensive frailty :)

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Sorry but multiple posts talking about the inevitability or (even) preference for Bissouma & White to leave. Just don’t agree in any way. Trim the squad yes - but don’t take a ****ing machete to it.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Sorry but multiple posts talking about the inevitability or (even) preference for Bissouma & White to leave. Just don’t agree in any way. Trim the squad yes - but don’t take a ****ing machete to it.

Yep, this. We should be looking to keep both of them if we want to improve, and at most sell one if the right bid comes along.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Well run Clubs in the past tended to sell one key player for big money. Before which they would have a replacement(s) in place already. This money would then be added to the war chest to help bring in better players.

I can see us doing this:

Sell Biss and have Caicedo/Moder/Alzate take his place. Use extra money to replenish other key areas such as LWB and Striker.
Sign up Ostigard to a new contract and then loan him to a top Championship side next season.

Next summer sell White and replace him with Ostigard, then the extra money brought in will add further quality to the squad.

Following summer sell Lamptey or Sanchez etc but have a replacement ready. And so forth.

If we sell more than one key player this window then that is a huge risk to our position in the league. You don't target top 10 selling off multiple key players in one window.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
So you are saying he is going to sign a new contract, despite knowing that mulitple clubs that could pay him lots more and win him more titles are eager to sign him?

No. I'm saying he's under contract, he's 24, he's had a fabulous season, he has many suitors AND he could be persuaded to give the Albion another year by signing a new record-breaking contract with all manner of break/release clauses built in to give comfort on both sides. He's that good. It's also the case that he will still be with Brighton unless the club's valuation is met - which, post-covid/ESL, is not a given.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No. I'm saying he's under contract, he's 24, he's had a fabulous season, he has many suitors AND he could be persuaded to give the Albion another year by signing a new record-breaking contract with all manner of break/release clauses built in to give comfort on both sides. He's that good. It's also the case that he will still be with Brighton unless the club's valuation is met - which, post-covid/ESL, is not a given.

I admire the optimism.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well run Clubs in the past tended to sell one key player for big money. Before which they would have a replacement(s) in place already. This money would then be added to the war chest to help bring in better players.

I can see us doing this:

Sell Biss and have Caicedo/Moder/Alzate take his place. Use extra money to replenish other key areas such as LWB and Striker.
Sign up Ostigard to a new contract and then loan him to a top Championship side next season.

Next summer sell White and replace him with Ostigard, then the extra money brought in will add further quality to the squad.

Following summer sell Lamptey or Sanchez etc but have a replacement ready. And so forth.

If we sell more than one key player this window then that is a huge risk to our position in the league. You don't target top 10 selling off multiple key players in one window.

This - well, mostly this. Usually one (big) sale per season would be the ideal, but this summer, if we get some eye-watering offers for White and Bissouma we do have back-up in place - and we have lost a lot of income through Covid.
Don't want to see either of them go until we've had another season to enjoy them, but if it happens, not a disaster.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

I would assume, would you not, that there’s already been discussions on an extension for Biss.

And what do you do if he’s not interested? Let him leave on a free next year? Hence why there’s a growing feeling he’ll be moving on this summer. And we shouldn’t fear that, it’s the sustainable model Tony wants us to have.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I would assume, would you not, that there’s already been discussions on an extension for Biss.

And what do you do if he’s not interested? Let him leave on a free next year? Hence why there’s a growing feeling he’ll be moving on this summer. And we shouldn’t fear that, it’s the sustainable model Tony wants us to have.
Why would he leave on a free next year? He's contracted until 2023.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The sooner people get used to the idea of Biss leaving this Summer the better for all our hearts.
He is off. Nailed on. More likely he is leaving than Duffy, Ali J or White IMHO.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Players with 6 months left on their deal can talk to other clubs, and then arrange to move on a free at the end of their contract.

Players with twelve months on their contract can't (although I know it goes on clandestinely). Still can't go on a free with twelve months left on their contract though.

Fact is, Bissouma is a Brighton player for the next two seasons, unless we say so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here