Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Squad trimming... who stays, who goes?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
As I said above, there is no way that the club is going to clear out most of its strike force. Are we really going to start the season with an injury prone player in his 30s and a youngster who's never started a PL game (and hasn't played as a striker when he has come on).

Just consider what a new striker means. They can come from three places:
The Premier League
A lower English division
Abroad

Players from abroad we know generally take several months to get used to English football (Gross took to it instantly but he was an exception). Lower division is a bit of a gamble - sometimes they work (Watkins at Villa), sometimes they don't (Adams at Southampton) and if they're from the PL they're either a flop or out of our price range.

I really can't see us starting a new season with an untried strike force. I'm sure we will sign a striker but we're going to keep most of our existing players.

As per the comment on the post, this only happens if we get a big offer for Maupay and he leaves. I think it is unlikely and he would be one of the "new" ones (alongside the genuinely new one we definitely need to sign).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agreed.

There is no chance that Potter would be using him so frequently to "put him in the window". He is one of the best shooters and crossers in the club.
The problem is he is infinitely more effective as an impact sub than as a starter.
I have no problem with him staying on the books for another season.

Equally I don't see a problem with keeping Duffy as cover, if there aren't any offers.
We play 3 centre backs and have been shorthanded at times this season.
We won't need Duffy as cover, even if White goes. We'll have Ostigard and Clarke available.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've got a hunch we're going to buy some better players for bigger fees than we could have possibly imagined this summer. I fully understand the scale of the loss we made last year

Here's my line of logic

So who are we likely to buy from? There will be some big clubs in foreign leagues in dire straights. Upper mid table teams in Spain and Italy will be taking up front cash for good players to hold off creditors.
Sure there will be clubs in dire straits, but what you haven't noticed is that the recession hasn't reached players and agents - the club might be desperate to get X off the books, but if X is on £100K+ a week with two years left on his contract, he won't be going anywhere, regardless of how much the club would like him to go.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Sure there will be clubs in dire straits, but what you haven't noticed is that the recession hasn't reached players and agents - the club might be desperate to get X off the books, but if X is on £100K+ a week with two years left on his contract, he won't be going anywhere, regardless of how much the club would like him to go.

I suppose i'm talking about mid to high Italian and Spanish teams, who probably aren't paying those sort of wages.

Or if there is a player we want who is under the contract in your example (who would presumably be a very good player), then it's quite possible that we'll be in the market for a loan to buy whereby we pay the majority of wages and bung them £5m up front to stave off el taxman.

I'm predicting a massive flight of talent to the PL this summer

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Lower division is a bit of a gamble - sometimes they work (Watkins at Villa), sometimes they don't (Maupay at Brighton, Adams at Southampton) .

IMO of course.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Out no matter what: Ryan, Walton, Duffy, Propper, Locadia, Izquierdo

Out for a good fee: Bissouma or White, both only if its the fees are outrageous

Loaned out: Caicedo, Connolly, Karbownick, Alzate, Bernardo plus several youngsters.

In: new ST, (Welbeck new contract) LWB and CM

I don't think there will be as much change as people are proposing due to Covid financial impact and the fact no one really wants our cast off for the price we would want. Incomings will also be restricted but I do think we will go for quality over quantity so I think we will be pleasantly surprised at any incomings. I do wonder if we will see some business between Albion and USG.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I don't think there will be as much change as people are proposing due to Covid financial impact and the fact no one really wants our cast off for the price we would want. Incomings will also be restricted

Covid is going to have an impact. Depressing prices i guess but if Haaland or Kane go for £150m each for example then it will trickle down throughout the leagues.
But Albion have dozens and dozens of players on their books who need to find new clubs or a home (the loanees, out of contract, out of favour) and gaps (in the first team squad and u18s, u23s) and investments (they will continue to recruit players who won't initally or ever play for the club). There will be change . Lots of it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Everyone's determined that Jahanbakhsh is on his way out, despite him probably being the most used sub of the past few months. Thought he did fine against Wolves also. I think Potter might see use for him yet.

Burn and Jahanbakhsh must be the oddest wing-back combination of all time though.

Ali J is great as a sub when we're chasing a game, and can put in a wicked cross and has great technique. His qualities will be enhanced if we have a decent striker who is good in the air.
But, fine against Wolves? He just isn't up to it defensively, which is why when Lamptey and Veltman aren't available, Potter turns to White or Gross to fill in at RWB. He revealed his inadequacies defensively against Wolves on several occasions early on.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not aware we have taken it though. Wouldn’t rule out him ending up at Coventry.

Well we wouldn't have done yet, would we. There are decisions to be made when it's the right time. It's a tad premature, before our season has even ended, let alone the transfer window not even open yet.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Well we wouldn't have done yet, would we. There are decisions to be made when it's the right time. It's a tad premature, before our season has even ended, let alone the transfer window not even open yet.

Like we made decisions on our other under 23s already this season. Cashman and a few others already been released.

I expect if he stays it will be an extended contract opposed to taking an option.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ali J is great as a sub when we're chasing a game, and can put in a wicked cross and has great technique. His qualities will be enhanced if we have a decent striker who is good in the air.
But, fine against Wolves? He just isn't up to it defensively, which is why when Lamptey and Veltman aren't available, Potter turns to White or Gross to fill in at RWB. He revealed his inadequacies defensively against Wolves on several occasions early on.

I said fine - he was good going forward, but poor defensively - ie “fine” overall, 7/10. He isn’t a wingback and should only be used as one of the front 3 imo.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
As we have loads of centre backs and central midfielders, just about enough wingbacks and nowhere near enough strikers I’ll go for our typical policy.

Sign a centre back and central midfielder for the first team, some youth wing back and no striker. :moo:

FF1

Aug 28, 2019

Ali J did not play RWB against Wolves. He has never played as a RWB. We played a back 4 against Wolves. Burn was left and White was right. Ali J and Trossard played left and right midfield and slightly ahead of Bissouma and Gross. As a matter of fact, for about 10-15 minutes in the first half, they switched sides and Ali J was on the left and Trossard was on the right.

I am not saying that he is a great defender, which he is not. I just think he did defensively what was asked of him and at least as well as Trossard.

PS slightly off topic of who stays and who goes!!!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Like we made decisions on our other under 23s already this season. Cashman and a few others already been released.

I expect if he stays it will be an extended contract opposed to taking an option.
The difference is one is/was in the U23s, the other is a top established Championship CB who may well be in contention for a place in the squad, especially if White leaves.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Agreed.

There is no chance that Potter would be using him so frequently to "put him in the window". He is one of the best shooters and crossers in the club.
The problem is he is infinitely more effective as an impact sub than as a starter.
I have no problem with him staying on the books for another season.

Equally I don't see a problem with keeping Duffy as cover, if there aren't any offers.
We play 3 centre backs and have been shorthanded at times this season.

Don’t see it Circa£40 k a week to bench warm Shane will want game time at his age as well
AJ I’m happy for him to stay

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The difference is one is/was in the U23s, the other is a top established Championship CB who may well be in contention for a place in the squad, especially if White leaves.

I'd be surprised, but pleased if he stays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here