Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Squad trimming... who stays, who goes?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Spot on. And I’ve a feeling that Ali J will be given until Jan to prove himself.

Propper, Duffy, Molumby, Ryan, Bernardo, Andone, Locadia - will go if they haven’t gone already.

I thought this was going to Propper’s season

Tried to ship Ali J last summer and I see no reason why they would stop trying with that.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I am slightly mystified why some think Dan Burn is on the list of those on the way out? He has been a major part of this season and I would be very surprised if he was shipped out...

Well said. Underrated player is DB.

Even if you don’t rate him as a first teamer, he’s a terrific squad option to have around and offers something different.

It seems that GP is a big fan anyway, so wouldn’t worry about him going anywhere.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
There's an excellent article in The Athletic today written by Oliver Kay, "Your club wants a clear-out – but can anyone really afford the ‘deadwood’?"

It explains how difficult it will be to get decent fees for unwanted players who have time remaining on their contracts.
https://theathletic.co.uk/2578200/2021/05/11/your-club-wants-a-clear-out-but-can-anyone-really-afford-the-deadwood/

A couple of clips.....

Offloading unwanted players is difficult at the best of times. During last summer’s market, at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, it was regarded as a nightmare by chairmen, chief executives, sporting directors, managers, players and, of course, agents. This summer threatens to be just as challenging in many areas.
Of course, there will be big deals at the top end of the market but the idea of clearing the decks, raising fortunes by selling unwanted players and easing the burden on the wage bill? It would be an understatement to suggest this will be easier said than done.

For all the desperation to clear the decks — and certainly this applies to supporters as much as it does to managers — is it really a viable option at a time when football is dealing with the financial challenges brought by pandemic? Reducing the wage bill is certainly a priority for many clubs but do we underestimate a player’s ability to put a disappointing campaign behind them and return for pre-season training in July with a clear head and a point to prove? Do we underestimate how much of management, in football as in any other industry, is meant to be about trying to get the best out of people?

Ali J, Andone, Propper, Duffy are going to generate far less than any of us think we may receive.

We should at least get a packet of hobnobs and a multipack of crisps for Ali J, but in all seriousness I agree that for the likes of Propper, Ryan, Duffy, Locadia etc I would be surprised if we got a fraction of what we paid for them. The biggest benefit will be the reduction in wages if many are offloaded.

The prize assets of Lamptey, Bissouma, and White should see us able to command decent fees but I seriously hope we can hold onto at least one of these three and sign Wellbeck on another year deal.

Even if we did sell two or all three of the above I would be surprised if we spent big in the summer as a) it's not really our style b) no guarantees of success (just look at Joelinton at Newcastle and c) we have large debts to get down, which for me is a priority to help keep us somewhat sustainable in the longer term.

Agree that Connolly would benefit from a loan as would Zeqiri, but would love to see Khadra progress into first team squad consideration next year. From what I have seen he looks like he could be quite a player.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We should at least get a packet of hobnobs and a multipack of crisps for Ali J, but in all seriousness I agree that for the likes of Propper, Ryan, Duffy, Locadia etc I would be surprised if we got a fraction of what we paid for them. The biggest benefit will be the reduction in wages if many are offloaded.

The prize assets of Lamptey, Bissouma, and White should see us able to command decent fees but I seriously hope we can hold onto at least one of these three and sign Wellbeck on another year deal.

Even if we did sell two or all three of the above I would be surprised if we spent big in the summer as a) it's not really our style b) no guarantees of success (just look at Joelinton at Newcastle and c) we have large debts to get down, which for me is a priority to help keep us somewhat sustainable in the longer term.

Agree that Connolly would benefit from a loan as would Zeqiri, but would love to see Khadra progress into first team squad consideration next year. From what I have seen he looks like he could be quite a player.

On the first point, we don't have to get what we paid for them as we have already amortized away a lot of the outlay already.

For instance, of the £17 million Jahanbakhsh fee we have just(!) £6.8 million left to put through the books as a loss.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
There's an excellent article in The Athletic today written by Oliver Kay, "Your club wants a clear-out – but can anyone really afford the ‘deadwood’?"

It explains how difficult it will be to get decent fees for unwanted players who have time remaining on their contracts.
https://theathletic.co.uk/2578200/2021/05/11/your-club-wants-a-clear-out-but-can-anyone-really-afford-the-deadwood/

A couple of clips.....

Offloading unwanted players is difficult at the best of times. During last summer’s market, at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, it was regarded as a nightmare by chairmen, chief executives, sporting directors, managers, players and, of course, agents. This summer threatens to be just as challenging in many areas.
Of course, there will be big deals at the top end of the market but the idea of clearing the decks, raising fortunes by selling unwanted players and easing the burden on the wage bill? It would be an understatement to suggest this will be easier said than done.

For all the desperation to clear the decks — and certainly this applies to supporters as much as it does to managers — is it really a viable option at a time when football is dealing with the financial challenges brought by pandemic? Reducing the wage bill is certainly a priority for many clubs but do we underestimate a player’s ability to put a disappointing campaign behind them and return for pre-season training in July with a clear head and a point to prove? Do we underestimate how much of management, in football as in any other industry, is meant to be about trying to get the best out of people?

Ali J, Andone, Propper, Duffy are going to generate far less than any of us think we may receive.

Excellent? If you say so. More a long statement of the bleedin' obvious, I thought.

There's no way we are going to be able to get any money for Ali J, because nobody will want to pay him the money he is getting here. Our best chance of cutting our losses is to loan him out and pay a big part of his wages.

twr93

Aug 2, 2019
London
Us much as I'm holding out hope I'm resigned to Bissouma going to a bigger club. We've not been a selling club of our major assets over recent years though so I think Bissouma will be the only major exit (White will stay).

Outs: Ryan, Bernardo, Clarke, Tau, Andone, Walton, Duffy, Ostigard

Loaned out: Karbownik, Caicedo, Zeqiri, Roberts

Ins: A more experienced backup to Sanchez, left sided defender, striker, 3/4 young players from abroad that we won't hear of for ages

Promoted to first team: Khadra

Given another year to fight for their place: Connolly, Ali J, Alzate, Propper, Izquierdo

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am slightly mystified why some think Dan Burn is on the list of those on the way out? He has been a major part of this season and I would be very surprised if he was shipped out...

Hence the idea that we can work out who GP will keep or get shot of is more difficult than getting an early season team sheet prediction right :smile:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We need to get rid of at least a dozen players. So many loans where players aren’t coming back alongside some signings (like Tau) which Potter clearly doesn’t fancy. There are plenty of Hughton signings that could possibly do very well at other clubs (Burnley?) but won’t get game time here.

Ryan
Duffy
Bernardo
Izquierdo
Locadia
Andone
Jahanbakhsh

Alongside the selling of the deadwood, I suspect one or two from Bissouma, White or Lamptey will be gone. We really can’t expect Tony to be funding £60m annual losses anymore.

What we don’t need to do however, is re-build. We already have 90% of the players we need. But I do think we have too many promising young players kicking their heels; they need to get EPL loans (like Arsenal & Chelsea do with the likes of Willcox, Maitland-Niles & Loftus-Cheeks) or be fighting for the Championship like White last season. Connolly, Zeqiri, Moder, Mac Allister and Alzate should be getting a lot more game time at their age, it worries me that they spend so much time benched.

That aside, in essence we just need a natural finisher from somewhere, a player who can finish like Maupay did in the Championship. Alongside that we’d need an experienced keeper and a left sided wing back player. I suspect we’ll promote one of our academy centre backs if White leaves.

My three would be:

1. Romero
2. Sessegnon
3. One of: Onuachu/Abraham/Toney/Edouard/Clarke-Harris

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Post pandemic transfer activity = almost zero (unless clubs are going to be mutually agreeing contract terminations).

Villa, Fulham, Chelsea and Everton went bonkers in summer 2020 signings at the height of the pandemic. Despite already making colossal accounting losses, bankrolled with cash doping from the opportunistic owners.

My summer 2021 prediction is that these clubs will spend big (fees and huge contracts to outgun all the opposition including the Brighton’s of this world):
Everton
Villa
ManC
ManU
Leicester (if they finish in the top 4)
Chelsea
Spurs

Despite missing out on a whole season of match-day income and hospitality, £100m’s found down the owners sofas.

Highlighting how hard it is for the likes of us to make an impact.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Villa, Fulham, Chelsea and Everton went bonkers in summer 2020 signings at the height of the pandemic. Despite already making colossal accounting losses, bankrolled with cash doping from the opportunistic owners.

My summer 2021 prediction is that these clubs will spend big (fees and huge contracts to outgun all the opposition including the Brighton’s of this world):
Everton
Villa
ManC
ManU
Leicester (if they finish in the top 4)
Chelsea
Spurs

Despite missing out on a whole season of match-day income and hospitality, £100m’s found down the owners sofas.

Highlighting how hard it is for the likes of us to make an impact.

We are on the verge of making an impact - especially when the ESL (toxic) 6 have had their wings clipped. Bloom may let Bissouma leave but they’ll ALL ****ing shake their heads when they find out what our price is to let the best ball-winning player in the EPL leave.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We are on the verge of making an impact - especially when the ESL (toxic) 6 have had their wings clipped. Bloom may let Bissouma leave but they’ll ALL ****ing shake their heads when they find out what our price is to let the best ball-winning player in the EPL leave.

I got the impression that the real punishment for the ESL 6 is/will be:
- Their CEO’s have been removed from EPL committees.
- They’ll have to sign up to never planning a secret breakaway ever again.

I’ve followed club finances and transfer activity for a long time.

Sadly nothing will change. I think people predicting a modest summer or the ESL 6 being brought in line, will be shocked this summer when Chelsea, Manc x 2, Spurs (and Everton) all go on huge spending sprees. Part of it eg Spurs to placate angry fans who hate the owners for allegedly holding the club back. There’s also an arrogance from the first 3 clubs that they can outgun rivals for Haaland, Sancho, et al.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Potter, Biss, White and Lamptey out. Promote from within and yet another clueless inexperienced nerd in as manager.

Exciting stuff :wink:

Being serious I'd like to see Ademola Lookman in the blue and white stripes next season. Who is going? No idea I won't try and second guess GP. Don't see us splashing what we need to to get the striker we all crave either.

Don’t say that.

If we don’t I think we may struggle......

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Potter clearly has to do something about the lack of goals in the team, not just with the "big striker" requirement but also from midfield and the wingers.

Once again a defender is joint second highest scorer for the Albion (Dunk 5 - level with Welbeck).

Dunk and Veltman between them have the same goal output as Bissouma, MacAllister, Lallana and Gross, i.e. 6 goals.

I am in a minority here but Lallana's 1 goal and 1 assist in 27 Prem appearances is not good enough.

I think we need to get more out of what we've got, but in order to do so we need Lamptey fit and we need a LWB like him - Sessegnon? I fancy the chaos they would create will give the Lallana's and MacAllister's more opportunity to provide goals and assists.

Izzy is out of of contract, on a high wage so must go. If PSV want Davy Propper then selling him for £7 or £8 mill makes sense before he turns 30 and enters his final 2 years. Tau only has one year left so I'd let him go back to Belgium for a few mill. I'd love to get Daniel James and I'd expect he'll struggle for game time if Man Utd sign Sancho.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here