Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Squad trimming... who stays, who goes?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It's your call, you're the boss... cometh the hour, who do you sell (or at least try to), release, drive to their destination? who do you keep/force to stay and why? One major sale or two?

Do we need a re-build?
Can we afford a re-build?
Do we need a slight tweak?
Do we just need a striker?
Really?

Outs?

Davy, Duffy, Izzy, Ali, BIG Jurgs, ... White, Bissouma ?? Tau? Walton? Connolly (loan) ... Maupay? Andone???? Will anyone (seriously) take our dead wood?? (see Jurgs, especially Jurgs.

Bratty Ryan?

Ins?

Welbeck, new deal...?
Buffon?

Exciting times?

Could be a BIG or indeed large summer ahead.

Do we play it safe or do we look to transform things?

I just don't know! Oh the humanity.

Rock on.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Out: Duffy, Pröpper, Izzy, Andone, Locadia, Walton, Ali J, Biss, Tau

Loans out; Connolly, Zeqiri, Karbo

In (wish list obvs): Sessengnon, Maitland-Niles, Oxlade-Chamberlain, One of Edouard/ Abraham/ Toney :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Potter, Biss, White and Lamptey out. Promote from within and yet another clueless inexperienced nerd in as manager.

Exciting stuff :wink:

Being serious I'd like to see Ademola Lookman in the blue and white stripes next season. Who is going? No idea I won't try and second guess GP. Don't see us splashing what we need to to get the striker we all crave either.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yep, love this time of year, safe for yet another season, and all eagerly looking forward to the impending transfer window, wondering wo we will sell or release, and more importantly, who we will bring in.

Knowing Tony Bloom though, (not persoanlly you understand, but you know what l mean), he will probably rightly, err on the side of caution, and bid for players from overseas, or bargains from lower divisions.

One thing is for sure, l don't really anticipate any real marquee singings.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Congrats on your appointment Icy.

I’m right behind you*

*until poll #1

I am not thick enough to start an In/Out poll on myself :lolol:

I have a saucer of milk here waiting for you :wink:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
There's an excellent article in The Athletic today written by Oliver Kay, "Your club wants a clear-out – but can anyone really afford the ‘deadwood’?"

It explains how difficult it will be to get decent fees for unwanted players who have time remaining on their contracts.
https://theathletic.co.uk/2578200/2021/05/11/your-club-wants-a-clear-out-but-can-anyone-really-afford-the-deadwood/

A couple of clips.....

Offloading unwanted players is difficult at the best of times. During last summer’s market, at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, it was regarded as a nightmare by chairmen, chief executives, sporting directors, managers, players and, of course, agents. This summer threatens to be just as challenging in many areas.
Of course, there will be big deals at the top end of the market but the idea of clearing the decks, raising fortunes by selling unwanted players and easing the burden on the wage bill? It would be an understatement to suggest this will be easier said than done.

For all the desperation to clear the decks — and certainly this applies to supporters as much as it does to managers — is it really a viable option at a time when football is dealing with the financial challenges brought by pandemic? Reducing the wage bill is certainly a priority for many clubs but do we underestimate a player’s ability to put a disappointing campaign behind them and return for pre-season training in July with a clear head and a point to prove? Do we underestimate how much of management, in football as in any other industry, is meant to be about trying to get the best out of people?

Ali J, Andone, Propper, Duffy are going to generate far less than any of us think we may receive.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
There's an excellent article in The Athletic today written by Oliver Kay, "Your club wants a clear-out – but can anyone really afford the ‘deadwood’?"

It explains how difficult it will be to get decent fees for unwanted players who have time remaining on their contracts.
https://theathletic.co.uk/2578200/2021/05/11/your-club-wants-a-clear-out-but-can-anyone-really-afford-the-deadwood/

A couple of clips.....

Offloading unwanted players is difficult at the best of times. During last summer’s market, at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, it was regarded as a nightmare by chairmen, chief executives, sporting directors, managers, players and, of course, agents. This summer threatens to be just as challenging in many areas.
Of course, there will be big deals at the top end of the market but the idea of clearing the decks, raising fortunes by selling unwanted players and easing the burden on the wage bill? It would be an understatement to suggest this will be easier said than done.

For all the desperation to clear the decks — and certainly this applies to supporters as much as it does to managers — is it really a viable option at a time when football is dealing with the financial challenges brought by pandemic? Reducing the wage bill is certainly a priority for many clubs but do we underestimate a player’s ability to put a disappointing campaign behind them and return for pre-season training in July with a clear head and a point to prove? Do we underestimate how much of management, in football as in any other industry, is meant to be about trying to get the best out of people?

Ali J, Andone, Propper, Duffy are going to generate far less than any of us think we may receive.

Spot on I suspect ... sadly :(

Pah.

The end of long term contracts on ‘risky’ players is nigh. That has to be a good thing.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Club currently got 36-37 players who would expect to play first team football somewhere next season so if there's going to be any signings, somewhere around 15 players needs to go. It will likely - and hopefully - be a very active summer on the "outs" side while I think only two or three are coming in.

Out:
Maty Ryan
Christian Walton

Shane Duffy
Bernardo
Matt Clarke (dont think he is good enough, but might get the chance in pre-season)
Östigård / Van Hecke / Karbo / Roberts - no idea what will happen to these. One or two might stay, one or two might go on loan, one or two (not Karbo) might leave.

Jayson Molumby
Davy Pröpper
Yves Bissouma
Ali J
Jose Izquierdo

Percy Tau
Jurgen Locadia
Florin Andone
Viktor Gyökeres
One of Connolly / Zeqiri might go on loan.

And yes I'm ignoring all the Mlakars and Balutas and whatnot that are not even close to having a chance.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

A couple of clips.....

Yup. Like Potter said last summer, "buying players is very easy but its very hard to sell them."

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Out :

Ryan
Walton
Duffy
Bernardo
Pröpper
Băluţa
Izquierdo
Jahanbakhsh
Locadia
Gyökeres
Mlakar

Out (maybe) :

Andone
Tau
Burn

Out ( for high fees ) :

Bissouma
White

Try to keep :

Welbeck

Add to squad :

Khadra
Østigård
Clarke ( maybe )

New signings (4/5) :

GK - Safonov ?
Left sided defender
Striker
Striker ( Only if Welbeck goes )
Attacker/Winger

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Prediction:

- Biss will go to big club
- Connolly will go out on loan
- Tau will go to some random European club
- Ryan will join Arsenal
- Propper back to PSV
- Ali J will go out on loan somewhere - either Spain or Netherlands
- Andone will go back to Turkey
- Bernardo could go anywhere, but it won't be here

- Clarke will come back and join the team
- We will sign ONE big name player
- We will sign ONE quality Championship player
- We will sign SEVERAL young players that nobody has ever heard of

This looks reasonable, but we might surprise a few and spend big, or at least inline with previous seasons.

I've a feeling next season will be a tough one. Norwich and Watford both kept the majority of their premier league squads and will strengthen more over the summer.

For all the talk of the effect of Covid on our budget, our new 10 year sponsorship deal kicks in next season and the global property and gambling markets haven't been adversely hit by the pandemic, so it may be time for Tony to double down and get a march on the competition.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I am slightly mystified why some think Dan Burn is on the list of those on the way out? He has been a major part of this season and I would be very surprised if he was shipped out...

Because they haven't got a clue.

As Potter said, "Anyone who doesn't rate Dan Burn, doesn't understand football".
(or words to that effect)

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I am slightly mystified why some think Dan Burn is on the list of those on the way out? He has been a major part of this season and I would be very surprised if he was shipped out...

Spot on. And I’ve a feeling that Ali J will be given until Jan to prove himself.

Propper, Duffy, Molumby, Ryan, Bernardo, Andone, Locadia - will go if they haven’t gone already.

I thought this was going to Propper’s season

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Out :

Ryan
Walton
Duffy
Bernardo
Pröpper
Băluţa
Izquierdo
Jahanbakhsh
Locadia
Gyökeres
Mlakar

Out (maybe) :

Andone
Tau
Burn

Out ( for high fees ) :

Bissouma
White

Try to keep :

Welbeck

Add to squad :

Khadra
Østigård
Clarke ( maybe )

New signings (4/5) :

GK - Safonov ?
Left sided defender
Striker
Striker ( Only if Welbeck goes )
Attacker/Winger

I fear that there will be nothing like that amount of movement, especially if we are expecting some sort of payment for most of those on your 'out' list.

As for incomings, well, l very much doubt that we will be wanting to splash serious dosh for anybody. If however, any of our big players depart for large fees, then that could change.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Spot on. And I’ve a feeling that Ali J will be given until Jan to prove himself.

Propper, Duffy, Molumby, Ryan, Bernardo, Andone, Locadia - will go if they haven’t gone already.

I thought this was going to Propper’s season

If Ali J is to prove himself, then he has to play. What's the point in keeping him otherwise?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here