[Albion] Squad Balance

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Looking at our existing squad and thinking ahead to the transfer window the squad seems to be a little unbalanced at the moment.

We have exceptional cover in all forward and wide positions, in fact more players than could even make the bench.

Given the incomings we look well covered in midfield as well.

However assuming we don’t get Colwill and if Lamptey really is no longer in RDZ plans we seem really light at the back.

We would need at least one RIght Back, one Left Back as cover for Pervis, one centre back to replace Colwill and probably another centre back for cover purposes.

Haven’t seen too many rumours regarding these positions beyond the Turkish right back and Colwill so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Final thought, how nice is it that we don’t even need to think about signing a striker!

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Milner is more of a full back than a CM these days so I guess he can fill in if need be.
Agree though, priority needs to be defence. Full back and GK assuming Lamptey and Sanchez leave.
Boey looks fantastic and Arsenal seem to have moved on. We have also been linked with the CB at Galatasary.
There's probably a very savvy free transfer option somewhere that can cover both FBs. Nobody is actually getting in ahead of Pervis so it's more about cover for the left side.
Colwill is the one for me. Get him in and I don't really care what else happens this summer.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Certainly need a centre back and a full back. If we could find a full back that could play either side that would be great or a centre back that could also play left back eg Colwill. Certainly two players as a minimum.
If we lose Caicedo then we will need a ball winning midfielder to replace him. We have others that could fill in but none than you could say were natural ball winners.
Goalkeeper wise, if we lose Sanchez which looks possible, then we would need a replacement.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Certainly need a centre back and a full back. If we could find a full back that could play either side that would be great or a centre back that could also play left back eg Colwill. Certainly two players as a minimum.
If we lose Caicedo then we will need a ball winning midfielder to replace him. We have others that could fill in but none than you could say were natural ball winners.
Goalkeeper wise, if we lose Sanchez which looks possible, then we would need a replacement.
Yup, agreed. Will only add that Milner can play both FB positions as well as midfield, but that's not to deny that we don't need at least one further FB.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We have two promising young defenders, a FB and a CB, both lefties, who are just back from successful loans for RDZ to run the rule over. Suspect a season too early for them yet.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We do need a DM to replace what Caicedo does in the midfield if he goes. We don’t need a box to box player just an all action midfielder who can protect the back 4 and get the ball back for us when we lose possession. In addition, we only need this proper DM against top sides, this formation did well enough against Wolves:
IMG_2693.jpeg

Roméo Lavia is the one for me but I did note a rumour that Stains turned down £50m for him of Mad Mr Toad in the winter window so perhaps he is already out of out reach.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We do need a DM to replace what Caicedo does in the midfield if he goes. We don’t need a box to box player just an all action midfielder who can protect the back 4 and get the ball back for us when we lose possession. In addition, we only need this proper DM against top sides, this formation did well enough against Wolves:
View attachment 162041

Roméo Lavia is the one for me but I did note a rumour that Stains turned down £50m for him of Mad Mr Toad in the winter window so perhaps he is already out of out reach.
Yes, I like Lavia too, but the rich guns are circling around him. Tony's algorithms will have identified an alternative.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Total football, no defenders, is the last stage of the RDZ revolution. My grandad would have loved it.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Walker-Peters at Saints can play both full back roles. Would be a decent signing if Saints need to sell. Don't think he's that old either
I think he’s an excellent option, would like that to be one we look at. Wouldn’t mind Livramento as well, I see they have set a £20m price tag. We could afford that!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
View attachment 162041

Mitoma ??? Not in the team

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports