[Football] Spurs

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Screenshot_20180308-091551.png:lolol:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
From your massive interest in this matter, I'm trying to work out if your second team is Chelsea or West Ham?

What a strange and uneducated question. A few digs at Spurs and I am showing a massive interest.
For the record there are some PL clubs that I dislike for various reasons.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
So how didn't they turn up?

They went 1-0 up and had the better of the first half, or is this just a shit attempt at Banter?

Fancy being accused of banter on this site. Don’t you think spurs thought they had done the hard work in Italy and in going 1-0 up, then couldn’t respond to Juve’s comeback.

I can accept ( but don’t understand) that some Albion followers have 2nd and 3rd PL teams. I prefer to have a list of those I dislike and those that don’t bother me. Incidentally Chelsea and West Ham are on the same list as Spurs.

It’s only a bit of fun after all. Chill.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What do you think are his faults? I’m genuinely interested in the view of someone who obviously knows a lot more about him than I do.

My impression is that he’s put a very good squad together without spending anywhere near as much as most of the other big six clubs. Most importantly Spurs are a team with a clear style/strategy that works which is the sign of an effective manager in my opinion.

However, they do lack the quality required to actually win anything (not necessarily his fault though, that’s probably down to the budget) and, if I was being harsh on MP, I suppose I’d say that if he hadn’t been fortunate enough to inherit Kane through the youth system at the perfect time the team he’s put together might have only been half as good as they have been in the last three years.

Last night actually highlighted a couple of them:

He didn’t react at all to the situation, or the change of tactics by Juve’s manager - he doesn’t use subs - he said in his book (book being a talking point as well) he doesn’t believe in them - I think I read somewhere he has the lowest goals/assists from subs.

Seems to only have one way to play, which is great when it works, but when you go away to Liverpool playing the high line is suicide - or using last night again - just shut up shop.

Continually dismissing the domestic cups - Spurs are a club whose History is in the FA cup.

You mention the youth team, it’s a bit of a myth he’s used it at Spurs - Kane/Mason/Winks/KWP are the only ones he’s really used and Kane was already in the squad/team.

He’s got Very lucky with Kane - it is a bit AVB/Bale - the amount of games we have won just because of Kane is unreal - honestly the guys a beast - TV does not do him justice.

He does have a Klopp like habit of not being able to win big games - FA cup semis/last night/cup finals.

Sissoko.

If you put all those together at a club like Real he would be gone in 6 months.

Saying all that, I wouldn’t swap him for any other manager as they wouldn’t fit the Spurs plan and he is still learning and considering what he is up against getting top 4 three years in a row would be a great achievement.

I do like how Spursy has gone from losing at home against 10 men after being 3-0 up to losing to Juve in the CL - that shows how far the club has come.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Last night actually highlighted a couple of them:

He didn’t react at all to the situation, or the change of tactics by Juve’s manager - he doesn’t use subs - he said in his book (book being a talking point as well) he doesn’t believe in them - I think I read somewhere he has the lowest goals/assists from subs.

Seems to only have one way to play, which is great when it works, but when you go away to Liverpool playing the high line is suicide - or using last night again - just shut up shop.

Continually dismissing the domestic cups - Spurs are a club whose History is in the FA cup.

You mention the youth team, it’s a bit of a myth he’s used it at Spurs - Kane/Mason/Winks/KWP are the only ones he’s really used and Kane was already in the squad/team.

He’s got Very lucky with Kane - it is a bit AVB/Bale - the amount of games we have won just because of Kane is unreal - honestly the guys a beast - TV does not do him justice.

He does have a Klopp like habit of not being able to win big games - FA cup semis/last night/cup finals.

Sissoko.

If you put all those together at a club like Real he would be gone in 6 months.

Saying all that, I wouldn’t swap him for any other manager as they wouldn’t fit the Spurs plan and he is still learning and considering what he is up against getting top 4 three years in a row would be a great achievement.

I do like how Spursy has gone from losing at home against 10 men after being 3-0 up to losing to Juve in the CL - that shows how far the club has come.

for the record i hate spurs , but will always support domestic clubs in european competition , and lets be honest its healthy how well spurs are doing tbese days , right thats it my 30 seconds of humility are over :lolol:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Always find myself wanting the English team to beat Johnny Foreigner; however, last night, all I could think was, "maybe this will really undermine Spurs season & we could take full advantage of another London PL team".

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Had Kane's last minute header hit the post a quarter of an inch to the right the ball would have bounced in, rather than on the line and hoofed to safety.

The tie was decided by the tiniest of margins, but Juve are experts at finding a way to make finals.

Of course, the term "bottling it" is all relative. This Juventus side have an awful record of making finals then losing them.

Spurs got a ******* of a draw compared with Basel and Sevilla for the Manchester clubs.

I agree that there has been a "Spursy" brittleness about them in the past but I think they're over that now and I really wouldn't be surprised if they won the FA Cup this season. Beating Real Madrid, Dortmund, getting gutsy draws in Liverpool and Turin, beating Arsenal show they can handle big matches but there's no doubt the clock is ticking and Kyle Walker's success and wages at Man City will make several of them think twice about renewing their contracts.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Fancy being accused of banter on this site. Don’t you think spurs thought they had done the hard work in Italy and in going 1-0 up, then couldn’t respond to Juve’s comeback.

I can accept ( but don’t understand) that some Albion followers have 2nd and 3rd PL teams. I prefer to have a list of those I dislike and those that don’t bother me. Incidentally Chelsea and West Ham are on the same list as Spurs.

It’s only a bit of fun after all. Chill.

I can't stand Spurs fans, Just feels like you are trying to take the piss out one of the big boys because we are in the Premier League. Just seems odd because who really cares.

I thought it was a fairly decent effort and did more than turn up

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Chiellini basically summed it up:

Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini says he knew his team would beat Tottenham because Spurs "always miss something at the end".

The Italian giants came from behind to win 2-1 in the second leg of their last-16 Champions League tie at Wembley on Wednesday for a 4-3 aggregate win.

"It's the history of Tottenham," added the 33-year-old Italy international.

"We knew Tottenham have fantastic players and are an amazing side - but they concede many chances every game."

After a 2-2 draw in Italy, Son Heung-min put Spurs 3-2 ahead on aggregate before two goals in three second-half minutes - from Gonzalo Higuain and Paulo Dybala - took Juventus, runners-up in 2016-17, into the last eight.

Tottenham had late chances, including Harry Kane heading against the post in the 90th minute, but Chiellini excelled as Juve advanced.

"For us it is an amazing night," added the centre-back. "It was very difficult and we knew before this match and also before the first game. But we believed it and believed in the win.

"Tottenham have always created many chances to score - but they miss always something at the end.

"We believe in the history - we saw it yesterday between Paris and Real. The history is important, with experience it is important and we used our skill."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43325532

Spurs looked better over the two legs, but they simply lacked the bottle/experience to see it out after going 1-0 up last night. They crumbled in the space of a few minutes, and couldn't recover.

As an aside, the officials were awful. The standard in the knock out stages of the CL should be far better than that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here