Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spurs v Gus Poyet Sunderland (hit the ceiling in 20th spot)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don't think Gus is built to manage a team in relegation difficulty, his style isn't to scrap and scrape every point, its far more designed for a promotion-chasing team / top-half team in the prem. Its getting the opportunity that will be difficult for him, but it wouldn't exactly surprise me to see Sunderland there in 2 or 3 years.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I don't think Gus is built to manage a team in relegation difficulty, his style isn't to scrap and scrape every point, its far more designed for a promotion-chasing team / top-half team in the prem. Its getting the opportunity that will be difficult for him, but it wouldn't exactly surprise me to see Sunderland there in 2 or 3 years.

He did alright saving us from the drop in his first season!

Carshaltonloyal

Jan 18, 2011
Makes me laugh watching Gus disappear into his snood,

Tarrico wearing seven layers of clothing freezing his bollocks off wishing he was somewhere else,

and that clown Oatway coaching five divisions too high. :lolol:

Let's face it,ex Brighton manager,ex Brighton coaches and ex Brighton players , always gonna end in relegation wasn't it .....

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

....But not under Poyet.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
He will do okay in the end. Was always going to be difficult for him inheriting that squad.

But he will still have more money to spend next season than we do, so they will go straight back up next year if they go down now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He will do okay in the end. Was always going to be difficult for him inheriting that squad.

But he will still have more money to spend next season than we do, so they will go straight back up next year if they go down now.

History would suggest that bouncing straight back is an exception though. I'm not convinced that Gus will even be managing them next season either. He better hope he is because he won't get a better gig as he has not made an iota of difference to their league position since he's been there, in fact they are further adrift than when he got there.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
History would suggest that bouncing straight back is an exception though. I'm not convinced that Gus will even be managing them next season either. He better hope he is because he won't get a better gig as he has not made an iota of difference to their league position since he's been there, in fact they are further adrift than when he got there.

This. I reckon he will struggle with the fact that he has failed to keep Sunderland in the Premier League. The whole reason he left us was so that he could manage there, why would he stick around back in the Championship.

I would still find it amusing if they went down and we somehow got promoted.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Hasn't Poyet now equalled PDC's run earlier in the season that led to him being kicked out?

It was interesting watching Poyet's post match interview last night. That smug grin he has was nowhere to be seen. Wonder why?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hasn't Poyet now equalled PDC's run earlier in the season that led to him being kicked out?

It was interesting watching Poyet's post match interview last night. That smug grin he has was nowhere to be seen. Wonder why?

Rabbit in the headlights

D

Deleted member 2719

He may have been found out earlier even than i would have guessed, i wonder if the chairman has seen a Poyet hissy fit yet.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Rabbit in the headlights

I like one post on that Sunderland forum: 'He's clutching at more straws than a scarecrow having a w*nk.

He hasn't a clue how to turn things around once they go behind-exactly the same as when he was here. His reputation is taking a battering now and might take a while to repair which is quite pleasing for many to see.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Not going to happen, but wold be hilarious. Interesting to hear the welcome he got at the Amex... Boos or polite clap? Same when Bridcutt's name was called.

I bear grudges........nothing is forgotten about last summer......as for Bridcutt, all would have been fine if he hadn't buggered us about so much.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I bear grudges........nothing is forgotten about last summer......as for Bridcutt, all would have been fine if he hadn't buggered us about so much.

I agree. I would boo Poyet... every fantastic moment he brought to the club was negated by his actions last summer.. unforgivable.

Bridcutt was my favourite player since BZ so would be really torn between a "welcome back" clap and stony silence (couldn't boo him though).

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
He gave us the best football I've ever seen from a Brighton team. He took us from relegation fodder to the cusp of the Premiership in two and a bit years. He won't be booed by me. Neither will I applaud him, as while he did wonderful things for our club he is no longer our manager. I wish he was, but it hasn't worked out like that so best to shake hands and move on. I'll be watching the football and I won't get involved in the circus.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Is he still banned from company premises?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In his defence the two cup runs have now left him in the position of having two extra games to make up in a short space of time. Is it any wonder some coaches regard the cups as an irritation rather than an attraction?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here