Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Spurs put 550 non-playing staff on furlough

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Pathetic.

Football clubs have the most ludicrous wages to turnover ratios of just about any business I've ever seen. So when you cut your variable costs (staff wages) who suffers the most? The lowest paid.

Made my blood boil that....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
550 people sounds like the stewards and catering staff numbers.

Security staff generally have other jobs as well. My nephew works for a security firm and is in great demand at present from supermarkets.
Catering staff may struggle but generally, are students etc earning extra whilst studying.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
How can a top flight footballer survive on less than 20k a week, it's alright us moaning about them all the time but they have to get by like the rest of us #thinkoftheplayers

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Really bad form . Just reduce salary of first team squad by around even 15%. Would probably cover the 550 other non playing staff . Harry Kane should discuss this with the other players and do the right thing .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Huge profits and £123m in the bank.

2219C706-CB89-4AA9-BDE1-EF5D58C2242F.png

I would imagine that Levy would love this season to be expunged from the records, so that they remain a CL club ... they made £98m in prize money from reaching the 2018/19 final.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Really bad form . Just reduce salary of first team squad by around even 15%. Would probably cover the 550 other non playing staff . Harry Kane should discuss this with the other players and do the right thing .

Reducing a players wage would be a breach of contract. If the players volunteered, that would be different .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
550 people sounds like the stewards and catering staff numbers.

Security staff generally have other jobs as well. My nephew works for a security firm and is in great demand at present from supermarkets.
Catering staff may struggle but generally, are students etc earning extra whilst studying.

The 550 are full time football, football admin, admin, retail and distribution staff. So dependent on Spuds.

On top of that they employ 160 match day staff on a temporary basis.

[Their accounts reveal the numbers].

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Where Barcelona players take a 70% wage cut to allow non playing staff remain on full pay!!!! Levy is shister who only wants to line his own pockets

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Pretty disgusting that Newcastle and Spurs are taking advantage of this scheme, while continuing to pay £50k+ per week to playing staff. I guess we'll see which other clubs have similarly low ethics over the next few days.

Are you shocked these are the first two clubs to do so

Take take take owners

Joe Lewis has a net worth of 4.6 billion

Daniel Levy over a billion as well.

Absolute disgrace they don’t agree to cover the 550 workers - no PL club should need to Furlough

PFA need to back clubs as well in cutting wages

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I wonder if celebrity television presenters are expected to make up the wages of all the backroom staff that have been furloughed. Make up, hairdressers, wardrobe etc etc.

If they are paid ridiculous wages why should they not?

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
As a spurs fan i find this disgusting... Another reason for me to continual going off everything about football other than the game.

I am so f ing angry at this. Abuse of a government scheme to help struggling businesses.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's not like most couldn't afford it. This will cause resentment otherwise

That makes no sense.

The richest man at the club sticks two fingers up at some of his employees and the resentment will land at the feet of other employees.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
So the next generation end up subsidising Spurs when they could either use their pile of cash or agree a cut in players wages. Sickening. EPL at its worst

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So are you saying players on 250k plus a week cannot afford a deduction in wages to pay the employees on cattle feed

No I'm saying a billionaire shouldn't be screwing over his loyal staff, so that other members of his staff should be pressured into bailing them out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here