Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Spurs, Champions League

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
So why whine about it now? If you don't like foreigners in a team you will quite simply not like football, other than national sides. Liverpool won the European Cup with, I believe eight Scottish and Irish players in the 70's. What's your point?

Now now, you were just gently challenged for saying ‘English’ clubs when really they’re far from in terms of player, management and even owner nationalities. Who knows, they probably don’t even pay taxes here anymore. It’s nothing to do with not liking foreigners in the team, that’s your misinterpretation of the point he made. Which I agree with. Hence better to use more accurate label these days, i.e. League they represent rather than the Country (they don’t). IMO :)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Now now, you were just gently challenged for saying ‘English’ clubs when really they’re far from in terms of player, management and even owner nationalities. Who knows, they probably don’t even pay taxes here anymore. It’s nothing to do with not liking foreigners in the team, that’s your misinterpretation of the point he made. Which I agree with. Hence better to use more accurate label these days, i.e. League they represent rather than the Country (they don’t). IMO :)

I just pointed out Liverpool won the European Cup with 3 or 4 English players in the 70s, what is the difference?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Their naivety/youth, or the Ajax way, prevented them shutting up shop. With the tie almost won at HT, Ajax spent the entire second half attacking in large numbers. Leaving huge gaps for Moura and Rose to exploit.

Bang on.

I was literally AGOG at the number of players Ajax were still committing forward after half time. The tie was dead - it was won. And yet they were still loading up the box with 5-6 players at corners, and pouring forward leaving HUGE gaps at the back, when they were already as good as in the final.

It went beyond naivity. It was crass stupidity and appalling game management from the Ajax point of view. Time and time again, one smart pass coming out of the back had Spurs bearing down on their back 4 with no protection and half their team still stranded upfield. Sissoko was magnificent, at least 3 times he broke forward and megged the guy in front of him, opening it all up. I was amazed to see Rose subbed, he was excellent all night, although I guess it was Trippier going off and switching to a back 3 for the closing stages that made that call.

Full credit to Spurs, that was an amazing comeback. But Jesus, Ajax didn't so much leave the door open after half time, they practically waved them through. Liverpool would have utterly devoured Ajax in the Final. Still, great to see an all-english Final. Liverpool will likely have too much, I think Spurs are out on their feet now and just don't have the squad. But I've all but given up predicting the CL this season. Anything could happen.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Bang on.

I was literally AGOG at the number of players Ajax were still committing forward after half time. The tie was dead - it was won. And yet they were still loading up the box with 5-6 players at corners, and pouring forward leaving HUGE gaps at the back, when they were already as good as in the final.

It went beyond naivity. It was crass stupidity and appalling game management from the Ajax point of view. Time and time again, one smart pass coming out of the back had Spurs bearing down on their back 4 with no protection and half their team still stranded upfield. Sissoko was magnificent, at least 3 times he broke forward and megged the guy in front of him, opening it all up. I was amazed to see Rose subbed, he was excellent all night, although I guess it was Trippier going off and switching to a back 3 for the closing stages that made that call.

Full credit to Spurs, that was an amazing comeback. But Jesus, Ajax didn't so much leave the door open after half time, they practically waved them through. Liverpool would have utterly devoured Ajax in the Final. Still, great to see an all-english Final. Liverpool will likely have too much, I think Spurs are out on their feet now and just don't have the squad. But I've all but given up predicting the CL this season. Anything could happen.

Exactly. Well said.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I just pointed out Liverpool won the European Cup with 3 or 4 English players in the 70s, what is the difference?

You omitted I said English or even British, and besides, there were quite a few other predominantly ‘English’ clubs in Europe back then including the original Liverpool winners if you want to split hairs led by the late Tommy Smith, Emlyn Hughes plus Jimmy Case, Kevin Keegan, Phil Thompson, Phil Neal, David Johnson, Ray Clemance...all 1st 11 and all certified Englishmen! :)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Nope, just making considered responses and not having the same rush of blood that others appear to be having...:)

I guess you'll just have to retire from the filthy foreign English football leagues and just watch cricket or rugby union instead... oh hang on.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Bang on.

one of the stars of the Eredivise this season ......could do a job?????

.....https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdenasser_El_Khayati

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Liverpool will likely have too much, I think Spurs are out on their feet now and just don't have the squad.
Liverpool will be favourites, but no one should be out on their feet, they've got over 3 weeks until the game. Spurs can rest players on Sunday too, not something Liverpool can do.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Liverpool will be favourites, but no one should be out on their feet, they've got over 3 weeks until the game. Spurs can rest players on Sunday too, not something Liverpool can do.

But regardless of that, Spurs do not have the squad, the strength in depth, they've not made a signing in 18 months. Kane is racing to be fit and likely won't be. And they're not 25 points behind Liverpool by accident - they're just not on the same level.

Only a fool would write them off in a one-off game. But I give Spurs around 1 in 3 chance of turning them over at best. More likely 1 in 4.

Can't wait though.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A fair few of those are squad in fairness.

I took a look at the players who featured in the Liverpool v Barcelona match on Tuesday.

Liverpool- 5 English players
Barcelona- 4 Spanish players.

In their overall squads:

Liverpool- 10 English players
Barcelona- 5 Spanish players

Liverpool have as many English players in their squad as Juventus (10) and, wait for it...

The same number as Ajax....

Further to: All foreign players and management- as well as clubs- do pay taxes to HMRC under corporation and PAYE rules.

They are all *insert nation of origin* as each other but It's an international games these days.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
'They were dancing in the streets of Haywards Heath, last night'.

N17

Jun 21, 2011
That was fun. I'm sure Madrid is lovely in June.

We are the big underdogs which suits is fine.

Bring. It. On.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I took a look at the players who featured in the Liverpool v Barcelona match on Tuesday.

Liverpool- 5 English players
Barcelona- 4 Spanish players.

In their overall squads:

Liverpool- 10 English players
Barcelona- 5 Spanish players

Liverpool have as many English players in their squad as Juventus (10) and, wait for it...

The same number as Ajax....

Further to: All foreign players and management- as well as clubs- do pay taxes to HMRC under corporation and PAYE rules.

They are all *insert nation of origin* as each other but It's an international games these days.
Precisely why better to label PL, La Liga etc. What’s Arsenal and Chelsea’s count btw?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here