Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Spurs and the Y-word

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I wish they would stop singing the really slow version of “when the Spurs go marching in” :yawn:

PLEASE NOTE - This is the slow version of the Southampton song “ oh when the Saints go marching in “
Just saying, as this was discussed last week and some posters got confused with another Spurs song. :rolleyes:

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
I wish they would stop singing the really slow version of “when the Spurs go marching in” :yawn:

PLEASE NOTE - This is the slow version of the Southampton song “ oh when the Saints go marching in “
Just saying, as this was discussed last week and some posters got confused with another Spurs song. :rolleyes:

I bet they weren't singing it last night :lolol:

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I strongly suspect that those most offended are those who it's got nothing to do with anyway - but such is the way of the world - or of tolerant liberal England at least. I wonder how many people choosing to take offence are the same progressive, liberal, tolerant people who buy and admire rap music, which sometimes uses the word 'niggah' (in an ironical and self-deprecating way, of course). Hmmmm ........ maybe just a tad of double standards there?

I strongly suspect that you’ve invented a type of person that doesn’t exist. I think the main objections to the use of the word are Jewish groups.

With your comparison the difference is that the people using the n word are black people but the people using the y word are not necessarily Jewish. Also there may well be lots of black people who don’t like the use of the n word even by other black people.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i reckon the club make a fuss about it from time to time to appease the groups that are offended, while not taking serious measures because they know its something the fans own. for example they could start refusing entry or stopping games if its heard. they wont though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I strongly suspect that you’ve invented a type of person that doesn’t exist. I think the main objections to the use of the word are Jewish groups.

With your comparison the difference is that the people using the n word are black people but the people using the y word are not necessarily Jewish. Also there may well be lots of black people who don’t like the use of the n word even by other black people.
I strongly suspect my views do not sit easily with your 'it's OK for black people to use racist words about themselves, but not for other groups' narrative. It's a common view among some people these days, I'm afraid.
I certainly haven't 'invented' a 'type' of person - they exist a'plenty - although TBF they've been quieter than usual on this thread until now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m sure I read somewhere that Arsenal have always had as big a Jewish following as Spurs. A lot of East London Jews supported one or the other clubs in the days when the Boleyn Ground was a pretty unwelcoming place. Spurs fans sang this chant in response to abuse from rival supporters in much the same way Albion fans created responses to the homophobic stuff aimed our way. Neither is that relevant in the year 2022.

I lived in Edgware 1980-82. There were tons of Jewish people living there (East End diaspora, money earned). It was 50% Spuds and 50% Arsenal. The 'yid' thing was real even back then, 30 years ago, and there were jews of my acquaintance who were pleased at the appropriation. I suspect it was as has been said elsewhere, the equivalent of black people appropriating 'N*gga'. In the 80s away supporters regularly made 'gas' noises at Spurs, so it seemed to me at the time an appropriate bit of belligerence from the Spuds

I feel that it's not for me to make a judgement on this, however. Or even offer an opinion. If Jewish people are offended then it is offensive by definition. That said, if Spuds leadership (Levy is a jew) is offended they should say so, and not pussyfoot around, surely?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I bet they weren't singing it last night :lolol:

They were singing it as Stains hammered in the equalizer. Then for some reason they instantly stopped singing it. It was effing hilarious :lolol:

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I strongly suspect my views do not sit easily with your 'it's OK for black people to use racist words about themselves, but not for other groups' narrative. It's a common view among some people these days, I'm afraid.
I certainly haven't 'invented' a 'type' of person - they exist a'plenty - although TBF they've been quieter than usual on this thread until now.

That’s not quite what I said. I just made the point it’s not a straight comparison between black using the n word and Spurs fans using the y word.

My view is that as I am not directly affected by racism and as I don’t know nearly enough about the issues (especially about the history of Spurs fans using the y word), that I’m not in a position to hold a well informed view. Therefore, I would listen to the views of groups representing the relevant people, for example https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46768900

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That’s not quite what I said. I just made the point it’s not a straight comparison between black using the n word and Spurs fans using the y word.

My view is that as I am not directly affected by racism and as I don’t know nearly enough about the issues (especially about the history of Spurs fans using the y word), that I’m not in a position to hold a well informed view. Therefore, I would listen to the views of groups representing the relevant people, for example https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46768900

Mickael Antonio seemed to think it was. Pure whatabouterry, of course - but hey, that's OK, eh?

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Mickael Antonio seemed to think it was. Pure whatabouterry, of course - but hey, that's OK, eh?

I’m not sure what your point is. I’ve had a quick look for what Michail Antonio has said and all I can find is his comments about racism and Zouma, which don’t seem related to this debate.

My original point in response to you was that you seem to think the calls for Spurs fans to stop using the y word was coming from virtual signalling non-Jewish people. However plenty of Jewish organisations are behind the calls.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I thought the Spurs announcement was decent and sensitive; it appreciated why the chant started and went out of its way to praise those fans who began it in the 70s and 80s. And then it suggested that the chant had had its day now. They will gradually increase the pressure against it until it has gone, but they are not being heavy handed about it (yet).

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Here's a few from twitter disagreeing with you.

[tweet]1491720965939556353[/tweet]

[tweet]1491812220128354307[/tweet]

[tweet]1491779045272408068[/tweet]

It’s quite possible to be Jewish (if they really are) and be pig ignorant. I’d therefore expect a few to not realise it’s a highly derogatory word for Jew or even celebrate it. Which is ironic when it originates from High German dialect too.

Probably best not used in public, and certainly not by non Yiddish spurs fans.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I’ve asked my Jewish friends both in the States & here and they have all said similar that they view it as a very derogatory term / offensive .

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
When we played Spuds in the cup about 15 years ago, some young prick started shouting anti-Semitic abuse. I turned round to tell him to f**k off because I'm Jewish and as I did at least four other Brighton fans said the same at the exact same time. Really not bothered about young Jewish men calling themselves Yids, nor black men calling themselves Niggers, Pakistani youth calling themselves Pakis or homosexuals calling themselves queer. But I do object to people using them as insults aimed at them. I am also a dirty commie.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Never mind the Y word, can we ban words like 'spuds', 'wet sham', 'palarse', 'chelski' etc unless you really are only 6 years old.

Can we still say Smellhurst Park? :facepalm:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here