Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SPOTY 2016 Betting

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Doubtless won't be a footballer again. Although we love the national sport, we hate just about everything about the national players of that sport.

el punal

The thing about Itoje is that he doesn't have a track record before 2016. Unless you follow rugby union you might not be aware of his impact. Apart from him Saracens were pretty much the same team / coach as previous seasons but he has been the X Factor for Saracens that has turned them from European contenders to being the best club side in the Northern Hemisphere.

In order to underline his brilliance he's done the same thing for England, and he's inspired the likes of Robshaw, Haskell and Kruis around him to up their game another level too, so he even has a "personality" to go with his ability.

I know how SPOTY works and I know he won't win, but he should definitely be in the list of contenders and he definitely deserves much wider recognition for his achievements, he is the complete role model for any youngster wanting to compete in sport at the highest level.

I agree with everything you've said. One of my highlights of this sporting year has been watching the three tests against Australia. Each match completely different to the others, and every one totally absorbing. Itoje has slotted in so well, and played so well, that had it not been for Haskell and Robshaw's heroics in defence he would surely have been Man of the Series.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
They go:

Anthony Joshua 5/1
Jamie Vardy 8/1
Gareth Bale 10/1
Jessica Ennis-Hill 10/1
Andy Murray 10/1
Katarina Johnson Thompson 16/1
Danny Willett 20/1
Mo Farah 20/1
Laura Trott 25/1
Chris Froome 33/1
Bradley Wiggins 33/1
Adam Peaty 33/1

66/1 bar

E/W 1/5 1-2-3

Any fancies ???
Vardy looks too a short price to me after England's euro flop.
I've had a punt on Peaty at bigger prices myself - probably still some juice in the double carpet if you can get on with FEARLESS Victor.
If Joshua was going to fight (and beat Fury) for the title he'd have been a shoo-in.

Mo Farah with the olympics to come is huge at 20/1 IMO.

Have to say I had no idea who Katarina Johnson Thompson, Laura Trott or Adam Peaty were until I googled them. Sad reflection of sport in this country or a sad reflection on the sport the BBC shows these days?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Have to say I had no idea who Katarina Johnson Thompson, Laura Trott or Adam Peaty were until I googled them. Sad reflection of sport in this country or a sad reflection on the sport the BBC shows these days?
Hmmm so its not a sad reflection of your ignorance to British sports stars.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Just done a tenner on Mo as i think 20-1 is big. A good chance to take as he surely has to be a shoe in with another 2 golds.

Danny Willet worries me a little but that is all.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Hmmm so its not a sad reflection of your ignorance to British sports stars.

How can they be stars? Granted I don't follow athletics but who does other than the olympics.

Thinking about it I have heard of the Trott girl. I seem to recall she did well at the last olympics. The other two ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How can they be stars? Granted I don't follow athletics but who does other than the olympics.

Thinking about it I have heard of the Trott girl. I seem to recall she did well at the last olympics. The other two ???
But 'stars' are defined by your ignorance.

Sure, I'm no wiki entry on the first 2 either.
But I know of them well enough that ones a world record holding swimmer.
I couldn't have told you over which distance, or pick him out of a line up.
While the other is Ennis' main rival, who long jumps, and somewhat unsurprisingly I could easily pick out.

Naturally I'm a huge fan of Laura Trott.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
But 'stars' are defined by your ignorance.

Sure, I'm no wiki entry on the first 2 either.
But I know of them well enough that ones a world record holding swimmer.
I couldn't have told you over which distance, or pick him out of a line up.
While the other is Ennis' main rival, who long jumps, and somewhat unsurprisingly I could easily pick out.

Naturally I'm a huge fan of Laura Trott.

So what you are saying is you've wanked over the two stoats but not the fella?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So what you are saying is you've wanked over the two stoats but not the fella?
It's sadly how society still consumes sport.

Although technically you're incorrect, LT is a fantastic cyclist irrespective worthy of the name 'star'.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

MF's two golds were only good enough for 4th place in 2012, the three he chased home are all likely to re-appose this year.
I only found who Peaty was when I looked at this market just before xmas when I took the double double carpet.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Maro Itoje has won in 2016 the European Player of the Year, the English Premiership, the European Cup, The Grand Slam, The Triple Crown and The Cook Cup.

Yet he is only 80-1 with SkyBet - not quoted anywhere else - which places him below such sporting luminaries as Johnny Peacock, Anthony Crolla, James Guy, David Weir, Dina Asher-Smith and Charlotte Dujardin.

These are great odds especially when you consider England's 4-test Autumn Series vs South Africa, Fiji, Argentina and Australia ends just 2 weeks before the vote.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If Peaty can win two golds then he should hit the frame, a repeat of the world champs when he won three he'd be fav in my book.

I hate to tell you this [MENTION=588]8ace[/MENTION] , but he will not be doing that. One of those three - his best event (50m breaststroke - World Champion and WR holder) - is NOT an Olympic event.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
MF's two golds were only good enough for 4th place in 2012, the three he chased home are all likely to re-appose this year.
I only found who Peaty was when I looked at this market just before xmas when I took the double double carpet.

That year 2012 was an amazingf year for uk sport.. if MF gets the 2 golds again and he is odds on too surely he has to win

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I cannot think of a more boring sport to watch than swimming.

[edit]

Hang on, yes I can. Basketball.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I cannot think of a more boring sport to watch than swimming.

[edit]

Hang on, yes I can. Basketball.

Was gonna say. Women's swimming is alright up to when the gun/ buzzer goes off

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here