Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sportsman Last Night

Jul 10, 2008
Turned up at about 7, hoping to get a pint before kick-off, but it was being closed! Stewards said it was absolutely packed in there and they couldn't let anyone else down the steps to go in, and even when people came out they still wouldn't let anyone in.
Haven't seen it that busy before, was it really that full inside? Had to make do with a cup of tea to quench my thirst, bad form.

:drink:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
probably would have taken until 7:45 to get served, done you a favour.

Turned up at about 7, hoping to get a pint before kick-off, but it was being closed! Stewards said it was absolutely packed in there and they couldn't let anyone else down the steps to go in, and even when people came out they still wouldn't let anyone in.
Haven't seen it that busy before, was it really that full inside? Had to make do with a cup of tea to quench my thirst, bad form.

:drink:

Not busy at all. I couldn't make it to The Evening Star so had to go into the Sportsman which I dislike immensely. Having got there early I know why I have stopped going in there. Poorly run, staff behind the bar who aren't very good, and poorly kept beer served badly in plastic 'glasses'.

I left at 7pm.

The reason the place looks packed is because some idiot designer decided that having 4 or 5 HUGE tables close to the bar and blocking the main walkways is the way forward. Total disaster! When people are seated around them there is a massive bottleneck of people trying to get to the bar or return to where they were sitting. All giving the impression that the place is packed when it isn't. Well done The Sportsman-even less Albion friendly than it used to be. I'll make more of an effort to get to The Evening Star in future.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I was in there from about 5:45 - it was never busy, so I am surprised they were doing the old one in - one out. They closed the pub on Saturday as well, with a lot of very irrate and wet Albion fans outside, with a lot of happy and dry Millwall fans inside!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There is a simple answer to this problem. If everybody assumes that they will not be admitted to The Sportsman and make alternative arangements for meeting up and having their beer. The Sportsman will lose trade and either have a rethink as to why this has happened or even just close until after the game.

As has been said it is not as if you are going to miss having decent beer or good service so why bother in the first place.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Sportsman is hopeless. Absolutely hopeless. Queues that are 10-deep, disinterested staff, beer served in plastic, no Sky Sports for the lunchtime match.

I go to The Nevill. Decent food, reasonably priced beer, no queues at the bar, Sky Sports on two TV's (with split signal so can show more than one event), pool tables, dartboard, plenty of seating, nice garden out the back for when the suns out, and all just a 5 minute drive from the parking spot in Patcham (10 minute walk to the ground).

Trés bien.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
place is a shit hole with shit beer and staff.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I go to The Nevill. Decent food, reasonably priced beer, no queues at the bar, Sky Sports on two TV's (with split signal so can show more than one event), pool tables, dartboard, plenty of seating, nice garden out the back for when the suns out, and all just a 5 minute drive from the parking spot in Patcham (10 minute walk to the ground).

Trés bien.

What is the name of the landlady there? One of my sons went out with a girl/woman and he said he thought that she had taken The Nevill with her new partner.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What is the name of the landlady there? One of my sons went out with a girl/woman and he said he thought that she had taken The Nevill with her new partner.

Dunno. I'm not overly familiar with the staff, as I never buy a round.
The place does seem to have had a bit of a tidy-up though, its not the decrepit dump I remember it being a few years ago.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
It's utter GASH in there, the service being the main point of GASHNESS.

Always go to town pre-match if I'm going to the game.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Dunno. I'm not overly familiar with the staff, as I never buy a round.
The place does seem to have had a bit of a tidy-up though, its not the decrepit dump I remember it being a few years ago.

debbie. nice eyes!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
debbie. nice eyes!

Shoulder-length, curly brown hair ? Quite short ?
She served me a nice bowl of cheesey chips last night, and was attentive and cheerful throughout my stay as I had a quiet pre-match read of The Times at the bar.

Lush

Mods' Pet
As a pre-match meeting venue, it's pretty much pot luck as to whether or not you'll get in quickly - or even at all - depending on how many away coaches have turned up and unloaded into The Sportsman.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yep my Derby mates were dropped off about 4.30 by the coaches yesterday and all piled in there!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
it was busy around 6.30 onwards but thats down to the total bunch of underage staff that work there fooking comical one lads spots were actually bursting over the chips as he delivered them to the table,guess that was the cheesy chip order,the place is a dive,i particulary enjoyed the pre match interview on sky by micky adams that was dubbed over by a brotherhood of man track.

The only highlight of the hour and a half i endured was the wee lass in the pink albion scarf absolutely slaughtering a whole table of derby fans who had made a ill advised comment to her, lol was superb! Why a woman would have a tape measure in her coat pocket though is beyond me lmao . :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here