Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Sports shops in Brighton and Hove

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I thought David Rose had 2 shops, 7 Dials and Western Rd Hove, maybe the Dials closed before the Hove shop you mentioned.

I think they moved from the Seven Dials store (where the Tin Drum is now?) to the Western Road, Hove store which was a lot smaller but packed with stock.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
My Dad bought me my first, and favourite, England shirt from swifts. The mid 70s Admiral one with blue and red stripe down the arms.
As was usual with him though, he never managed to get everything 100% right as he bought the white shorts to go with it but I loved it all the same.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
My Dad bought me my first, and favourite, England shirt from swifts. The mid 70s Admiral one with blue and red stripe down the arms.
As was usual with him though, he never managed to get everything 100% right as he bought the white shorts to go with it but I loved it all the same.

I had that shirt (and blue shorts too!) from Tony Buss sports in Lancing, another sports shop that has long since gone!

Here’s a brand new one for sale on eBay but might be a bit snug!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153082185390?hash=item23a468c6ae:g:I3AAAOSwtoVbOJEj

Jul 7, 2003
My first shin pads and gloves came from a small sports shop on the corner of High Street and Brighton Road in Worthing. Can't remember the name and it went a long time ago but it was also the place where I got by first Subbuteo teams from.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Anybody remember a shop called Clapshawe and Cleave back in the 1960s somewhere near the Clock Tower - or is it a figment of my imagination. Vaguely remember getting things like shin pads from there.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Anybody remember a shop called Clapshawe and Cleave back in the 1960s somewhere near the Clock Tower - or is it a figment of my imagination. Vaguely remember getting things like shin pads from there.

I may be wrong but I’m sure I remember seeing an advert for this shop in one of my old Albion programmes.

Edit- Google search for Clapshaw and Cleave shows pages from Albion programmes with the advert.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Lots of Love here for Swift Sports and rightly so. Let’s go for the nostalgia jugular with a piccie.

581F001C-51BF-4071-BDFB-218413F4B83B.jpeg

Right. Hootenanny time. Happy new year everybody.

:)

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove

I do vaguely remember them - yes. I’m sure they had a shop in Birmingham too.

3DD9998C-6863-478B-83A3-5BDABF02557C.jpeg

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Used to love a 1980s golf shop too. The one on Lewes Road was amazing (saved up my paper round money for some DDH x outs) and the smell of lambswool that hit you when entering the old Hollingbury Park pro shop in Hollingdean

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here