Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Sports Personality of the Year 2019

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If I ever bothered to vote (I haven't) then I'd go for Stokes. Its such a tired old show though, I very much doubt I'll be wasting my evening on it.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
It has to be Stokes. But I think Hamilton has a fair shout. Those two are head and shoulders above anyone else.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In which case it should be Owen Farrell: 5 Premier League titles, 3 European Cup titles, 2 Six Nations victories, 1 victorious Lions tour and a World Cup Final appearance.

Yes, he's a great player and he's won one more Premier League title than Maro, but I'd argue Maro would get into any side in the world, whereas I fancy Ireland would keep Jonny Sexton.

It's a matter of opinion of course, and both players are not just great sportsmen but they also have the 'personality' mentioned in the SPOTY title.

Despite this, Maro and Owen have yet to receive a single nomination between them EVER and yet Lucy Bronze got nominated on the back of a decent World Cup tournament in 2015 in which England didn't even make the final.

I'm all for sexual equality and both Dina Asher-Smith and Katarina Johnson-Thompson deserve their nominations but excluding two of England's rugby greats is a joke.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hamilton, a six time world champion is far more deserving than any of the others imo. I’m no cricket fan so excuse me if this is an ill informed comment but how often has Stokes been brilliant and world class this season? Hamilton is just about every time he goes racing.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
SPOTY seems past it's sell by date. Who watches it still? It's the word 'Personality' that messes it up now. Some **** on TalkSport said it should be Harry Kane. A man with less personality than my teacup!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
fullsizeoutput_570c.jpeg

It's a no-brainer.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Hamilton, a six time world champion is far more deserving than any of the others imo. I’m no cricket fan so excuse me if this is an ill informed comment but how often has Stokes been brilliant and world class this season? Hamilton is just about every time he goes racing.

I agree that Hamilton has been immense and is incredibly deserving. I would vote for him, but I think he will continue being great for a while yet and I'll get a chance to vote for him again when equals and breaks Schumacher's record number of wins. But Stokes essentially won England the world cup final in the cricket. It was an outstanding and incredible performance rarely seen before.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I can tell you are no cricket fan because if you were you'd know that Stokes' performance put him in an elite group of three with Hurst and Wilkinson as Englishmen that have had the game of their life in a World Cup Final.

But if that wasn't enough Stokes also single-handedly won us the 3rd test this Ashes series with his 76-run final wicket partnership with Jack Leach, of which Leach scored 1. For me that was the greatest Ashes test - on a par with Headingley '81, if not better.

I'd go as so far as to say I cannot imagine another England cricketer achieving such heroics in one single summer as Stokes managed in 2019, and if he doesn't win it you'd have to wonder whether any other cricketer ever will.

NB - I'm a massive Hamilton fan too.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I can tell you are no cricket fan because if you were you'd know that Stokes' performance put him in an elite group of three with Hurst and Wilkinson as Englishmen that have had the game of their life in a World Cup Final.

But if that wasn't enough Stokes also single-handedly won us the 3rd test this Ashes series with his 76-run final wicket partnership with Jack Leach, of which Leach scored 1. For me that was the greatest Ashes test - on a par with Headingley '81, if not better.

I'd go as so far as to say I cannot imagine another England cricketer achieving such heroics in one single summer as Stokes managed in 2019, and if he doesn't win it you'd have to wonder whether any other cricketer ever will.

NB - I'm a massive Hamilton fan too.

Although different types of games, I'd say this was better. Botham was under no pressure at Leeds when he hit that ton. He just enjoyed himself. The Aussie capitulation the following day was something to behold. But Stokes in this match, as well as the record chase, wins it for me.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Stokes, there is absolutely no question that needs to be ask for me, and I’m a Lewis Hamilton fan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here