Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sports literature

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Simon Jordans book is an interesting read, Be careful what you wish for. :D

Did you think so?

I actually read it , despite being one of your lot whenever he's on shows like The Footballers Football Show he comes across very opinionated but puts his point across well so I gave it a punt.

And yes it started off well , a Ne'er do well at school creating a multi million pound phone industry and buying the club he loves - despite being you lot fair play to him.

The next 200 pages however turn into a "poor me,poor me" tale of woe followed by cheap digs at all Palaces rivals , it's like he's trying too hard to win over fans again.

Shame - he was capable of much better.

ANYWAYS

I'm not really here by Paul Lake was pretty good , and I echo A life too short : The Robert Enke story.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Agree with a lot of these -"Castel Di Sangro", Trescothick's book, the Cascarino one, Duncan Hamilton's Clough biography.... Have been racking my brains to come up with something different. For a bit of nostalgia, how about "All Played Out" by Pete Davis. Excellent book about the 1990 World Cup although it's a long time since I last read it. Also, with the World Cup in mind, Futebol by Alex Bellos is a good insight into Brazil's love of the game.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
The Football Business by David Conn is well worth reading as well.

as is David Conn's Richer Than God: Manchester City, Modern Football and Growing Up, a really riveting read that. I think I need to look into those 2 earlier books he wrote....

Also, All Played Out by Pete Davies documenting both Italia 90 and his desperate time covering the tournament, probably the best sports book I've read.

patcham seagulls

Jul 9, 2003
patcham
Thank you for your suggestions and input.

I've toyed with the Paul lake book on several occasions without actually purchasing.

I'm also pretty keen to buy the blue Brazil/Cowdenbeath story, a supposed classic.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Please Don't Go by John Hartson on his remarkable recovery from testicular cancer that spread to his lungs and brain. As a footballer I thought he was a short-tempered aggressive thug and he explains the bad incidents throughout his career. As a person what has happened to him and his determined recovery with his supportive family shows what life now means to him and how humble and appreciative he has become. He ignored the cancerous lump for five years and it almost killed him. His message to males was don't ignore something if it doesn't feel right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here