Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sport Relief : How long before a celeb dies ?

DavePage

The problem is that you really have to do something that is difficult or scary.
Drinking beer is exactly that to me so tonight I have made the sacrifice.
I am exhausted now and to be honest emotionally drained but I have at least made the effort. Maybe some of you others who spend all your tine scoffing at other peoples efforts should get out and make a similar contribution instead of sitting on your fat arses.
Thinking of trying this, how did it go? I’ve been truing on a bottle of home brew Red a day, thinking about a little sunshine and some beers next step.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Thinking of trying this, how did it go? I’ve been truing on a bottle of home brew Red a day, thinking about a little sunshine and some beers next step.

Well, I can honestly sat I feel dreadful this morning but I am proud that I went out and did it on a school night. I could have stuck on low abv beers but decided to drink only beers above 5. I told people in the bar what I was doing and they pushed me further than I thought I could ever go on a Thursday night.
I'm already thinking of next year when I am going to do back to back piss ups during midweek.

Thanks everyone for your support.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
If I was moved to donate to charity it would be to a very small organisation doing some visible good close to home.

Wow, I wait with baited breathe as to what event might 'move' you enough to give something to charity.... obviously tsunami's, cyclones, starvation, local uk issues, someone close to you affected by cancer ....are just not moving enough yet for you. Do let us know when you feel empathy or sympathy for the first time in your boring life.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I am unable to participate in any such physical challenges, much as I would like to, as I suffer from indolence.

It does appear now that unless fund raising combines extreme masochism then it is somehow not worthy. Youngest Potting's school has some parents doing a 10km run for fund raising shortly. Not content with just running, these events now feel the need to involve mud, barbed wire and a degree of physical risk. Another acquaintance of ours did a similar event last year. It to involved large quantities of mud, water and discomfort and culminated in her impaling her leg on a submerged piece of metal and an A & E visit. She seemed to still view the event as a huge laugh rather than the (to me) more rational attitude of "b*gger that for a lark, I am sticking to sponsored walks in future".

Isn't it ironic that the moron choosing to run through a recreation of the Somme is referred to as "raising money", when in fact it the lazy b*stards who pay the "not me mate"-fee so as to avoid having to do the same that actually donate the money!

In reality these are more Sponsored "Don't" Run events as this is where the money comes from.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Some great gags told by football managers last night - Ian Dowie was good in the telling, Bryan Robson came across as thick as pig shit. Worth a watch if on IPlayer if you missed it.

Isn't it ironic that the moron choosing to run through a recreation of the Somme is referred to as "raising money", when in fact it the lazy b*stards who pay the "not me mate"-fee so as to avoid having to do the same that actually donate the money!

In reality these are more Sponsored "Don't" Run events as this is where the money comes from.

Good point well made!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Biggest moneymakers in these contrived events are the organisers

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I get that the whole event thing raises awareness/money etc but I can't abide the whole pantomime. Every single BBC outlet has been banging on relentlessly about it for weeks. Jo Whiley, whom I find irritating at the best of times has been gasping and preening her way through 26 hours walking on a treadmill. Why? I always make certain I am nowhere near a TV set on the nights Sport/Comic relief are broadcast. Nauseating dross.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Funny how we see things differently. I thought myself it was an amazing effort from Davina. It was a very very tough week in appalling conditions and the girl done well, very well. 130 miles on a bike in a day is very tough in good conditions and I believe she fought over Windermere due to her iron will and determination. I don't think it was tv hype as she was clearly in distress. To do this and then do a 60 mile bike ride within an hour later was incredible. Of course it could all be lies, but I doubt it. It came across last night that she pushed herself to the very limit and beyond and for that she has my respect. For this I think tonight it will be found she raised on her own over £ 2 000 000 for good causes. She may be an annoying woman, maybe not but her achievement was superb imo.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Not a big fan of Davina, but fair play, that was unbelievable. Good programme tonight too, lots of inspirational people & of course deserving causes.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The problem is I guess we are all charity weary and look at the downside especially with a celeb, and find it irratatiing but McCall did something very special and pushed herself to the very limit and beyond for what she believed in. So for me it is a big WELL DONE and I will let my cynicism take a backburner on this one. It was an amazing effort for me.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The biggest bugbear for me is that there are so many charities and there is so much cash floating about.

According to Forbes, there are 1,565 people worth more than $1bn (One thousand million).

Who needs that much cash?

(I know that is an over-simplistic viewpoint)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My point is all the criticism is from people who would probably get in a weeze reaching for their remote tv control pad. She did very very well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here