Spineless Sainsburys and all that is wrong in today's society!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
If you are on the phone, talk on the phone, if you are paying for shopping, pay for you shopping. Why are some people so stupid, selfish and rude.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
If you're going to lecture me on what's rude or not, you might want to begin with a different opening.

Fair enough and I was acting like an arse.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
And following it up by demonstrating to as many as you can what rudeness is. You sir, are a :tosser:

Eh? What are you on about - a question. Nothing rude about it, though alluding to your self hypocrisy which you've amply confirmed with a cherry topping insult and emoticon toboot. Clever stuff. First one to swear and all that...you loser!!! Now go away, I'm about to watch Question Time. You could go and watch your adult programmes too.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
If you are on the phone, talk on the phone, if you are paying for shopping, pay for you shopping. Why are some people so stupid, selfish and rude.

American culture in my opinion. We used to be a nation renowned for manners & respect, whilst looking at loud, rude American's with dismay. (I don't mean all Americans are like that before anyone starts)

We have been catching up with them fast over the past couple of decades and become a lot more selfish as a nation.

This is all just my opinion of course.

Premiership Dream

Nov 16, 2011
Sainsburys in my town don't surport local events like many of the chains the independent shops are more community spirited but suffer from these big shops killing local business .

I work for sainsburys.........every store supports a charity within the community....and raises a lot of money in fund raising, we also sponsor sports relief

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Needs a poll, this, if there isn't one somewhere already. Personally my sympathies are with the checkout girl* - if she'd been having a conversation with the next-along checkout operative, the customer would not doubt have complained about it. There are, as has been said, certain interactions which are necessary during the checkout process - how many calls are genuinely so urgent that they can't wait for what's usually a 5- or 10-minute process? One of the problems with mobiles is that all-pervading culture of immediacy they've helped foster. Many people think their calls simply can't wait, even if they're utterly mundane.

*Full disclosure - I'm biased, being one of the last few adults in the Western world who does not own a mobile phone.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think this is more about self-importance than anything else. I consider myself no better or worse than anyone. Whereby others look down on anyone with a so called menial job.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I always take my calls, it could be a job coming in and I would rather get paid than talk to a check-out girl. I will happily say, excuse me I have to take this and be courteous if it's not work I'll call them back if it is work I'll have that conversation and if Shaznzy from Tesco's thinks I'm going to miss potential work it goes a long way to explaining why she's a till jockey. Yes people are rude and in a rush and trying to do many things all at once. That's the public for you and I suggest if you are not prepared to witness that on a fairly regular basis you may want to find another job?

I always do self checkout unless the fit cashier who never does her top 4 buttons up is on a till, then she gets my custom, lucky girl.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I did some Verbatim acting training for all Sainsbury's staff a couple of years ago. I hope they pay their staff well because they hired out all the conference centres, 40 cabins, catering etc in each of the Centreparks in the UK, four days a week, every week for 3 months over one summer. Plus paying actors and facilitators a lot of money. It must have cost them millions. They were training staff on the importance of Trust.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I always take my calls, it could be a job coming in and I would rather get paid than talk to a check-out girl. I will happily say, excuse me I have to take this and be courteous if it's not work I'll call them back if it is work I'll have that conversation and if Shaznzy from Tesco's thinks I'm going to miss potential work it goes a long way to explaining why she's a till jockey. Yes people are rude and in a rush and trying to do many things all at once. That's the public for you and I suggest if you are not prepared to witness that on a fairly regular basis you may want to find another job?

I always do self checkout unless the fit cashier who never does her top 4 buttons up is on a till, then she gets my custom, lucky girl.
You're right....if only she was answering the phone.....according to all reports SHE was phoning her brother to pick her up....something that couldn't be done after going through the till...?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I always take my calls, it could be a job coming in and I would rather get paid than talk to a check-out girl. I will happily say, excuse me I have to take this and be courteous .

nibble hits the nail on the head,that is all it takes a little politeness and everyone is happy,as opposed to rabbiting on the phone and ignoring all around you.

out of interest nibble you are another one on here saying " talk to the check out girl"......where has this notion come from the cashier just wanted a friendly chat? surely she just wanted to converse with the customer and do what she is paid to do as in ask the questions about bags, packing,loyalty cards and vouchers etc. etc.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
What happened to "the customer is always right?" She is paying for a service, i.e. the cashier scanning her items, so why can't she talk on the phone whilst it is done? It's hardly a job which requires customer input...

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
American culture in my opinion. We used to be a nation renowned for manners & respect, whilst looking at loud, rude American's with dismay. (I don't mean all Americans are like that before anyone starts)

We have been catching up with them fast over the past couple of decades and become a lot more selfish as a nation.

This is all just my opinion of course.

An opinion I share 100% :thumbsup:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There is nothing I hate more than this sort of forced small talk in shops. Say hello to me, say thank you and that willl do. However, to continue my phone conversation or continue listening to my music is exceptionally rude. The same goes for staff talking to each other whilst serving me. All part of the me me me society we live in-no one gives a monkeys about anyone else. A please or a thank you or an excuse me cost nothing and make everyone's life easier. Likewise if you receive a call whilst being served a quick, "would you mind holding on" or "I'll call you back in a couple of minutes is surely common courtesy.

Perfectly put. I'll add that I've found this great new bit of technology that I think might catch on and they should put on every mobile - it's call voicemail !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports