Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spiders in the Garden

Benson

Jan 31, 2012
near water
A female house spider by the looks of it. Usually only seen in the Autumn whilst looking for a mate. Has some spring- cleaning been done nearby? The poor thing may have been disturbed.

They are good to have as they consume all sorts of critters you'd rather not reside in your home.

Pretty harmless as well. Even if you get one crawl into your ear while you sleep like I did!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Like several species of Spiders native to Britain it can cause a significant bite.

When I worked in A&E we used to see one or two a year. Like a wasp sting.
I did not know that.

Incidentally, when you see a spider scuttling across the floor and then it suddenly stops, as if someone has pressed the pause button, it's because it has used up all the oxygen in its blood. When it stops it's actually breathing through its KNEES to re- oxygenate then off it goes again.
I didn't know that either, I thought it was because they didn't want to be seen.

My other half thought they were stopping because they could hear her screaming. Silly cow.
:lol:

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I simply don't get most people's irrational fear and hatred of common garden and house spiders, that isn't anything special and is less dangerous than a wasp or bee and I have handled hundreds over the years and never been so much as nipped by one let alone bitten. Curiously most children are not remotely scared of spiders and will happily pick them up and prod them until their screaming pathetic parents start transferring their fear to them.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Got the shout last night when my Mrs went upstairs,had to put a biggie outside.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I simply don't get most people's irrational fear and hatred of common garden and house spiders, that isn't anything special and is less dangerous than a wasp or bee and I have handled hundreds over the years and never been so much as nipped by one let alone bitten. Curiously most children are not remotely scared of spiders and will happily pick them up and prod them until their screaming pathetic parents start transferring their fear to them.

I was scared of spiders when i was a kid - I am not now.... just to be contrary.

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
My GOD I wish I hadn't clicked on that

You and me both. I never get it when people say the fear is irrational. It would only be irrational if on closer inspection it was a fluffy toy or a rabbit. The fact that it is huge, a spider and probably lives in my house make its really bloody rational in my book!!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I bloody hate spiders. Always try and catch them if I find them in the house (with a glass obviously) and chuck em outside. Better than clearing up squashed arachnid!

You know if you catch a spider in your house and release it within 25m of your house it'll go straight back to where you found it, right?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Spiders are fabulous, don't really get what people have against them. They look pretty cool and they help to keep the house clean.

edit: although I don't live in an area with the kickboxing spiders.

Last edited:

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Lovely specimen

I've just spent 10 months in India with a cobra living 10 meters from my bedroom. Saw her everyday eating vermin.

Scorpions and massive spiders don't even register!

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
My Springer usually gets them before i do if they run across the lounge floor. He sits there crunching them with all the legs hanging out of his mouth.

Breesy1

Mar 14, 2013
London/Hove
A sizeable Huntsman once came back from Australia with me and nestled in the bathroom. Gave my mate the shock of his life when he was laying a cable with this monster staring back at him!

Bloody hate the things and that's rational!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
A sizeable Huntsman once came back from Australia with me and nestled in the bathroom. Gave my mate the shock of his life when he was laying a cable with this monster staring back at him!

Bloody hate the things and that's rational!

This "huntsman" you speak of, was he a Ray Mears type ( chubby and affable) or the Bear Grylls type (lean and buff). Either way I'm not surprised your friend got a shock when he saw a bloke with soot on his face clutching a home made bow and arrow crouching in the bath.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here