Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speedway: Anyone watching?

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Blimey, that's sad news, I didn't think things were that bad.

Despite my complete indifference to F1, and indeed all motor sport, surprisingly I find I really quite like speedway. Plus in Sussex we've got one of the top sides - although perhaps not for much longer it seems. Also one of the joys of speedway on TV is that you get to hear Mr Seagull Line himself, Tony Millard, I love his voice as it takes me right back. (Although he seems to have given it up this season as I haven't heard him once so far).

Erm maybe because he died last year.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Erm maybe because he died last year.

**** me, I just googled him and you're right, he died last year. Bugger me, that's terrible. I see it was last August and I was in America so I missed it. Jeez, what a way to find out. RIP Tony.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I read years ago that Jonas Kylmakorpi (sp) who used to race for Eastbourne is actually very well off himself and just rides because he loves the sport.

He still races for Eastbourne. Missed last night's meeting because he was in France competing in the World Long Track Championship, which is speedway on a massive grass/mud track, which was postponed from Sunday.

At lot of Eastbourne fans would say his focus is more Long Track than speedway, as he is 4-time World Long Track Champion, and his scores for the Eastbourne Eagles lately have been very poor :-(

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
The sale of the Arlington racetrack would be very disappointing. I enjoy the occasional visit to the banger racing. I cant imagine permission being given for a housing development there anyway. Strangely its in the depths of the countryside.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
The Dugards must have made huge losses over the years by supporting the Eagles and I'm sure Bob must be getting to the point where he'd like to get out.

I'm not sure whether his recent statements about turning Arlington into a housing estate are just a way of galvanising people into action - either by attending in greater numbers or by maybe buying the business outright.

Can't really see Arlington being a viable site for housing, but then again it's not exactly the likeliest place in the world for a speedway track, is it? Imagine getting planning permission for that now!

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Well i doubt they would make things up, especially like that. There is a very real chance of it happening, especially when the land the track is on could be worth millions.

Speedway is a sideline business for the Dugards family.
It'll still be going this time next year, don't worry about that.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Wouldn't it be fantastic if the Amex could somehow be converted into a multi-purpose stadium hosting speedway and ice hockey, and be in use several weekdays throughout the year. Probably wouldn't take huge amounts of money to make it happen, though would doubtless fall foul of numerous bye-laws and planning bolleaux.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Speedway in Poland attracts 15,000 - Eastbourne only had just over 600 the other night. Unfortunately the track is in the middle of nowhere unlike Poole which you can walk to from station and town centre.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Wouldn't it be fantastic if the Amex could somehow be converted into a multi-purpose stadium hosting speedway and ice hockey, and be in use several weekdays throughout the year. Probably wouldn't take huge amounts of money to make it happen, though would doubtless fall foul of numerous bye-laws and planning bolleaux.

The pilot field in Hastings used to hold speedway many years ago. In fact in places you can still see parts of what is left of the track around the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here