Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speeding!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The problem is, you're doing a mile in 20 seconds. There aren't many places on the a27 where you can even see that far ahead. Unless you're clairvoyant, how do you know that the road ahead is clear?

This. You must be psychic.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
A rare moment in my life with no points on my licence.Got stopped years ago doing well over a Ton in my Lancia Delta Integrale Evo2 southbound on M.23 the Coppers in the traffic car let me off as I let them have a go at driving it.Last summer got a tug on same road for doing 79MPH (6:00 AM) and practically threatened with the death penalty,mind you I was driving an Astra estate so probably deserved it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Respect!

The fastest I got to was 142 on my 750 Honda, then I was worried about running out of open road (and the extremely wide curves suddenly become like hairpin bends at that speed)

Respect to you for achieving that on what I guess was a VFR750?

Have beaten that on a couple of occassions, but you are right, the world starts to go backwards very quickly at 135+!

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
On the news today speeding has risen by 30,000 in the last 2 years in Sussex!!
Can you explain what that "statistic" even means? It makes little sense in itself and just sounds "big" for effect without any supporting meaning.
Is it 30k more caught, 30k more saying they went over the limit, 30k more "incidents" of speeding (is that per person or in total), etc. etc.

For the rest of your post, not I do not have any points on my licence.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Can you explain what that "statistic" even means? It makes little sense in itself and just sounds "big" for effect without any supporting meaning.
Is it 30k more caught, 30k more saying they went over the limit, 30k more "incidents" of speeding (is that per person or in total), etc. etc.

My apologies... People caught speeding!

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Your insurer will still pay out as part of their legal obligations if you have an accident, therefore your insurance will not be void. HOWEVER since you breached your side of the agreement they will generally use legal proceedings against you to recover their monies paid.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Currently being done for speeding on the top road in Lancing near the sports centre, 48 in a 40 apparently. Turned down the chance of doing a speed awareness course. I mailed my driving ticket to the law courts yesterday.

My first offence in almost 30 years, though - I did have one parking ticket once.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
My apologies... People caught speeding!

Aha. We don't know if there's more speeding though, just more of those that were currently speeding getting caught.

Has the accident/crash/death rate gone up or down? Not that correlation means that much, it's causation that's the key. IMO the vast majority of people that crash do so because they are not concentrating properly. Someone speeding (within reason) but concentrating is safer than someone driving under the limit and not concentrating (this is particularly prevalent with artificially low limits as people's concentration "drift off"). Remember, most accidents happen under the speed limit and often in built up areas. A few people going a bit fast on motorways/dual carriageways/quiet trunk & country roads etc. isn't really the underlying problem.

Sir Royston thorne

Jun 27, 2004
I know a bloke who always speeds, cuts corners and has little lane discipline at roundabouts, he finally got done and took the speed awareness course, that worked for about a week then he went back to normal.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
That's probably because the course is only addressing one thing?

I suspect his corner cutting and lack of lane discipline are as much, if not more, the problem. They won't (I guess) have addressed that on his course so, whether he continues to speed or not, he won't be any better/safer a driver as a result of it. I think these courses are possibly a missed opportunity for genuine driver training (although I appreciate there's only so much that can be done in a day).

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Cover is not automatically voided, why give out false info?

YOUR cover will be voided if you try to make a claim and your insurance company find out that you have not told them about your convictions BUT your 3rd party cover will be honoured. In other words they won't pay out for you but they will have to pay for what damage you have caused to somebody else.

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
I have had a clean licence for over 10 years, and then in the past few months, 2 pulls for speeding on my motorcycle.
One from an unmarked police bike, (tatty leathers, battered panniers... more like disguised!), who caught me exceeding 40mph up Snakey hill, and most recently, from a semi concealed hand held gun, in a place they have never been before, got me for 40 in a 30 through Hassocks.

My guess is that Sussex police have been given new targets to raise cash at a time of increased austerity and cuts for the police service.
So my licence will not be clean for much longer.

For the past 2 weeks, I have been religeously driving within the limits.
a) Yes, I have felt my attention drifting while bimbling along an empty dual carriageway at 40mph.
b) I have noticed that I have missed events, (a pheasant), on the road while I was checking my speed.
So I kind of agree that artificially low limits have their own dangers.

Personally, I don't think speed is responsible for even a tiny fraction of road accidents.
However, it is much more easily measured than other, perhaps more dangerous road behaviours.
It is also easy to demonise speeders, because the severity of crash damage rises disproportionally to the speed. i.e. "It stands to reason... dunnit!"

It is worth pointing out that our speed limits were set in a time when most vehicles had drum brakes, and massed twice as much as they do today.
They bear no relation to the physical capabilities of the machines we use, but are used to compensate for the failings some of the dimmest and useless humans in our midst who if properly tested, would not be allowed access to dangerous machinery. They are a prime example of the continuing nannying of the population, as well as being a fine cash cow.

152 on the A27 ehh?
I guess you could get up to those sort of speeds, Northbound, South of Lewes, if you kept a close eye on the Garage entrance/exit to the left.
It would be quite scary though, to reach those kind of speeds on a public road.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
On the news today speeding has risen by 30,000 in the last 2 years in Sussex!!

Highest recorded speed of 152mph on the A27! That is disgusting IMO!

Have you been caught speeding during this period? Has this idea of doing an awareness course instead of receiving points made you less concerned about your speed on our roads?

Are you aware that if you get caught and receive points on your licence that you MUST inform your insurance company for any motoring offence that puts points on your licence, if not and you make any claim, they will not pay out and they will void any cover?

Amazingly, with the mileage I cover per year (approx 60,000 that I do have a clean licence)!

Confess,

How many points have you got on your licence?

What point were they trying to make? Are they saying that the Policing strategy to stop people speeding has failed or were they making the point that the police in Sussex are out to catch more people speeding?

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Got 6 points... from speeding... I didnt realise i had to declare points to my insurance as i thought the DVLA passed these on.

Got my renewal through in November and wasn't that happy with the price (with 13 years no claims) so i asked if there was anything he could do on the price. The customer serivce guy said im sure we can. He ran through some questions again and also asked how many points i have.. I told him i had 6... (which weren't previously on my insurance)

The new quote was £150 more than my initial price :jester:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I expect the number of speeding motorists will continue to rise what with the Lewes Road in Brighton now being a 30mph limit between Coldean Lane and Bear road-far too slow for that section of road..

Edit: mind you once it goes with a bus lane down there,30mph will seem positively fast as the eventual speed on that road will become 5mph..

My thoughts entirely, without a figure of total of number of vehicles checked the figures don't really mean much.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Why is doing 152 on the A27 "disgusting"? If the road is completely clear i.e. 6am Sunday moring what's the problem? If you are putting yourself in danger and no one else I have no problem with it! I used to have motorbikes, say no more! BTW - I have 0 points.

How are you going to know the road is completely clear at this speed?

152 shouldnt be done anywhere but a runway or a racetrack.

i'd say 90mph is a safe-ish speed at that time in the morning. if you need to go any quicker then you're clearly just late or clearly just a f***ing dickhead!

The Autobahn is limitless in sections, and 150mph really isn't that bad when you're doing it. If anything you're more concentrated on the road than when you're cruising at 70mph. In the day we live in with the modern cars, 70mph is nothing. In 6th gear I'm driving at about 2000rpm. The speed limits need to be increased in line with modern cars capabilities. And it's not speed that kills, it's the irresponsible driving.

D

Deleted member 18477

The Autobahn is limitless in sections, and 150mph really isn't that bad when you're doing it. If anything you're more concentrated on the road than when you're cruising at 70mph. In the day we live in with the modern cars, 70mph is nothing. In 6th gear I'm driving at about 2000rpm. The speed limits need to be increased in line with modern cars capabilities. And it's not speed that kills, it's the irresponsible driving.

errrr 152 mph is f***ing scary in a normal car on a normal road with other traffic on the road. even in a nice saloon. what sports car are you driving?

i do agree though the irresponsible driving is the cause of most accidents, although i think 152mph is a tad OTT.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
It is worth pointing out that our speed limits were set in a time when most vehicles had drum brakes, and massed twice as much as they do today.
They bear no relation to the physical capabilities of the machines we use, but are used to compensate for the failings some of the dimmest and useless humans in our midst who if properly tested, would not be allowed access to dangerous machinery.

I went on the speed awareness coure a few weeks ago (ironically at Brighton racecourse!) after getting caught on a road in Bristol that went from 30-40-30 within the space of a mile or so. They covered a bit about the stopping distances in the highway code and that they were set 50 years ago but havent been updated since because cars weigh much more than they do know plus there wouldnt be any change to the thinking distance.

The point that really brought it home for me was that even if you take thinking distance out of the equation, a small difference in speed at the start of braking is magnified later on. For example two cars braking from 30 and 35kph (was a clip from Australia) at the same time, at the point where the 30kph car stopped the other was still doing 18. If you add on thinking distance the difference would be much more.

There was also a bit about why we speed and that every time we do its our choice. When we do it any number of outcomes can happen from nothing at all up to killing yourself and/or others. Its easy to think 'it wont happen to me' when you think of the number of times you have exceeded the speed limit even slightly since passing your test and nothing has happened.

That said by no means do i think that speed is the only reason for crashes.

Gary Gurr

Nov 13, 2011
Eastbourne
Driving home along A259 from Brighton to Eastbourne at 5.00 pm one weekday I doing approximately 5 mph and was amazed to see a mobile speed camera being used by policeman, suspect as he couldn't catch anyone speeding was waiting for the speed to drop to zero before issuing parking tickets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here