Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speeding tickets

Earlybird

Jul 23, 2003
Brighton
I think you still have to declare a speeding offence to your insurance co for 5 years, even if you've paid to have a 'clean licence' after year 4.

I recently had the option of a speeding awareness course and it worked out £15 cheaper and no points and you dont have to declare anything to the insurance people....a no brainer for me.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
I don't understand the point of that (not that I'm saying you're wrong btw). Shirley the date of the offence is printed on the licence. So once the 4 years are up, why do you have to send the form back to them to have it removed, when you can SEE by the date that they've expired ??

Am I missing something, or is it just another moneymaking scam

Still got 3 points on my licence from 2005 , can't be arsed to renew it yet , when it wears away I might think about it , mind you it could be £40 by then .

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
For some bizarre reason some people actually like to SEE that their licence is clean - why I have no idea.

Some people like to see 27 points racked up in speeding offences wiped clean from the their licence after 12 months.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
You need to renew your photo every ten years anyway, so evenif you had done it 12 years ago, it would be due again now. As others have said, if your passport is less than 5 years old yo can use that photo if you apply online. Still costs a bit, but not as much.

Thank you.
TBF it's down to can't be arsed and inconvenience so if I can do it online I will sort it later :thumbsup:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You need to renew your photo every ten years anyway, so evenif you had done it 12 years ago, it would be due again now. As others have said, if your passport is less than 5 years old yo can use that photo if you apply online. Still costs a bit, but not as much.

When they first issued photo ID we were conned into believing that the renewal every 10 years would be at a minimal cost :angry: This year it will be mandatory for UK drivers to hold a photo ID licence as the paper only licence becomes invalid.

el punal

Were you not offered to attend a speed awareness course, costs more but no points?

A couple of years ago I got caught by a speed camera. I was recorded driving at 37mph in a 30mph area, in Fareham. Shortly after I received my notice which allowed me to attend a driving awareness course at a cost of £85, or pay a fine (£60?) and incur 3 penalty points on my licence.

I chose to attend to attend the course, with the view that my insurance premium would be unaffected as this did not involve a motoring conviction.

The other point is, I believe, that only certain authorities offer this alternative to a fine and endorsement. So it could be that the OP was not offered this option, or, as I was told on the course that if the "offending" speed was excessive i.e. more than 40mph, then the choice of attending would not apply.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Ruffy

Jun 24, 2014
As an aside, in July (or thereabouts), the paper counterpart is being abolished for an electronic record, so rental companies etc will only need to see the plastic bit for their checks etc as they'll call it all up online.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
A couple of years ago I got caught by a speed camera. I was recorded driving at 37mph in a 30mph area, in Fareham. Shortly after I received my notice which allowed me to attend a driving awareness course at a cost of £85, or pay a fine (£60?) and incur 3 penalty points on my licence.

I chose to attend to attend the course, with the view that my insurance premium would be unaffected as this did not involve a motoring conviction.

The other point is, I believe, that only certain authorities offer this alternative to a fine and endorsement. So it could be that the OP was not offered this option, or, as I was told on the course that if the "offending" speed was excessive i.e. more than 40mph, then the choice of attending would not apply.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Feel free to read the thread. I was offered the course.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
As an aside, in July (or thereabouts), the paper counterpart is being abolished for an electronic record, so rental companies etc will only need to see the plastic bit for their checks etc as they'll call it all up online.

8th June. You're supposed to destroy your paper licence on that day. Surprised more hasn't been made of this.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
According to the DVLA website the paper counterparts will no longer be issued from June 8 2015, and existing ones should be destroyed.

Also,
Paper driving licence holders (those issued before 1998) will remain valid, and should not be destroyed. The next time you need to update your name, address or renew your licence, you will be issued with a photocard only.
From 8 June 2015 penalty points (endorsements) will no longer be shown on driving licences. This information will be held on DVLA’s driver record, and can be checked online, by phone or post.

So definitely no point in applying to remove existing points

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Last edited:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
When they first issued photo ID we were conned into believing that the renewal every 10 years would be at a minimal cost :angry: This year it will be mandatory for UK drivers to hold a photo ID licence as the paper only licence becomes invalid.

Not so
"Those who have an old style paper driving licence issued before the photocard was introduced in 1998, this change won't affect you, and you should keep your licence.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...at-do-paper-licence-holders-need-to-know.html

goldstone68

Aug 31, 2014
darkside
I was caught speeding a couple of years ago, and chose to take the awareness course. I found the course quite interesting and informative, the surprising thing was, what people did not know and the pig ignorant drivers who thought that they were in the right and the police were wrong, and were more or less telling the instructors that they were wrong too, and I must say that it was quite entertaining to watch.
So having a sort of refresher course on driving and road awareness is a good thing and should be attended by all say every 5 to 10 years, because after all when did you last read the highway code? like me I suspect when i needed to pass my driving test (40 years ago )

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I was caught speeding a couple of years ago, and chose to take the awareness course. I found the course quite interesting and informative, the surprising thing was, what people did not know and the pig ignorant drivers who thought that they were in the right and the police were wrong, and were more or less telling the instructors that they were wrong too, and I must say that it was quite entertaining to watch.
So having a sort of refresher course on driving and road awareness is a good thing and should be attended by all say every 5 to 10 years, because after all when did you last read the highway code? like me I suspect when i needed to pass my driving test (40 years ago )

Good to hear you found it worthwhile :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here