Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speed cameras

Jul 14, 2003
BN2
Various speed cameras in the city have been 'bagged up' as if they're working on them.

Does anyone know what the reason is? Are they now disused, or are they just lulling us into a false sense of security before unveiling some state-of-the-art meaner version?

The one I'm mainly focussing on is on the A270 at Moulsecoomb.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Various speed cameras in the city have been 'bagged up' as if they're working on them.

Does anyone know what the reason is? Are they now disused, or are they just lulling us into a false sense of security before unveiling some state-of-the-art meaner version?

The one I'm mainly focussing on is on the A270 at Moulsecoomb.

Re-set as they've changed the speed limit?

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
Being replaced with average speed cameras?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The ones on lewes road are bagged because of a change in speed limit (down from 40 to 30) don't know about elsewhere.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Speed limit is being changed to 30 isn't it? I'm sure I read something in the Argus about it. So they'll cover up the cameras for a while until people get used to it, otherwise they'd be catching almost everyone.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There are lots of small signs announcing the change attached to posts that never had speed limit signs on. The 40 speed limit signs are covered, too (or were when I walked to the amex for the leicester game).

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
If for whatever you have the fortune/misfortune of driving through Scummersville AKA Southampton take care in the dual carriage 30 zones. They have cameras facing you as you come round bends & over hills the dirty scummers!!

Jul 14, 2003
BN2
Thanks for the advice, one and all. I've been happily taking that stretch at 50 in both directions for weeks now, in complete ignorance at a new 30 limit.

Memo to self: Must keep eyes open when driving, especially when overtaking police vehicles.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Thanks for the advice, one and all. I've been happily taking that stretch at 50 in both directions for weeks now, in complete ignorance at a new 30 limit.

Memo to self: Must keep eyes open when driving, especially when overtaking police vehicles.

What, despite the previous speed limit being 40 for years ???

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Speed limit is being changed to 30 isn't it? I'm sure I read something in the Argus about it. So they'll cover up the cameras for a while until people get used to it, otherwise they'd be catching almost everyone.

From the Argus

Brighton speed camera could bring in £1,000,000 in fines

A speed camera in Brighton could soon rake in more than £1million thanks to a change of speed limit.

The camera on the A270 Lewes Road will be turned back on next month after being out of action since the end of last year as part speed limit changes.

Motoring campaigners have argued the speed limit change from 40mph to 30mph will create a “cash cow” in newly-issued fines for unsuspecting drivers.

The speed camera has been hooded since December 15 in preparation for extending the 30mph zone further along the dual carriageway.

Councillors say the changes, which are part of a city-wide speed limit review, have been well-advertised and are being brought in for safety reasons.

In 2010, a change in speed limits along a stretch of the A22 Eastbourne Road in Halland near Lewes created the most lucrative speed camera in the whole county with a 10,000% increase in speeding fines.

Commuters had been given a six-month period to adjust but 3,500 drivers were fined in just 12 months compared to just 33 people the previous year.

If that increase was replicated along the much busier Lewes Road, 20,000 motorists could come a cropper annually raising £1.2million in fines.

All revenue from speed camera fines is collected by the Treasury and redistributed.

Steve Percy, from the People’s Parking Protest, said: “Drivers are creatures of habit and many people have been driving along the road for many years so any changes need to have big signs to make it absolutely clear to drivers."

Councillor Ian Davey, cabinet member for transport and the public realm, said four temporary red signs had been installed to warn motorists.

Speed limit signs had been installed at the start of the new limit on January 18 when the limit officially changed and yellow “now 30” signs were also added last week.

He added: “Lowering of the speed limit along this stretch of road has been done for safety reasons, at the request of local people, and to make the area more comfortable for all road users, including motorists.

“It is not designed to catch anyone out and the safety camera will not be re-instated until users have had the opportunity to get used to the new limit.”

Dec 29, 2011
They're putting in a cycle path.
And a f***ing ridiculous one at that. Stretches of the most used road in Hove closed for (at least) a month or two just so they can take away one car lane and add a bike lane. That road is already jammed in rush hour I can't believe they haven't thought this through. Prepare for carnage.

FWIW I drive a bike, not a car, so this isn't a bias view, i'm just stating the facts.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
They've put a bag over them with the lens poking through a specially made hole. The bag makes people think they are u/s and hence more are caught - kerching!

This is a shit conspiracy theory...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And a f***ing ridiculous one at that. Stretches of the most used road in Hove closed for (at least) a month or two just so they can take away one car lane and add a bike lane. That road is already jammed in rush hour I can't believe they haven't thought this through. Prepare for carnage.

FWIW I drive a bike, not a car, so this isn't a bias view, i'm just stating the facts.

Don't forget the "shared space" they are creating. This so called "shared space" is the place where people stand to wait for a bus which apparently is quite safe to share with bikes because pedestrians will have the right of way. I do have to wonder if you have to pass a stupidity exam to become a councillor or work for the council :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here