Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speed Cameras -

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No, don't. I've read this advice a lot and it doesn't work like that.

you can ask for the evidence before going to court, just as you would with any other case.

if you are under the limit you wont receive anything about it, defective radar or something else triggered it. or someone not doing their job properly and verifying the speed...

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Barrel,a unmarked will follow that car and 'Nail' them. All a speed cam does is slow u down till you pass it. IT DOES NOTHING TO PREVENT BAD DRIVING.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
This morning I got flashed (by a speed camera!) on the opposite side of the road to the markings and going in the opposite direction. I was being naughty and doing about 40 in a 30 zone. I can't get done for this, can I?

Not for the camera hit, however, your confession on here is a different matter :jester:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Mt wife has just been zapped doing 55mph on the A24 going north towards Bucks Barn. There was no other car on our lane but one speeding down the other lane, southbound. We travel down this road regularly and she is well aware of the cameras and maintains that she was doing 55 mph on the 60mph.

I seem to remember somebody saying the same happend to him/her on that stretch of road but cannot find it on here anywhere.

Years ago i had a mate who was taken to court for speeding, they were shown a picture and asked to say how fast the image showed them going - 35mph was his answer, they then asked him what the image showed the speed limit for that stretch to be and he said 40mph meaning he was doing 5mph under the limit.

The camera had malfunctioned and had snapped evereyone bfore running out of the remaining film in it. They had to recheck all of the other cases and of the 30 or so other cases due at court, they found just 1 person was actually speeding through this camera.

It is always worth checking and asking for proof if you have any doubt over a ticket and whether you were speeding or not.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Why? They cover a lot more ground than the police can (with cuts to come). I really don't see the problem of speed cameras. Don't speed and you won't have to pay a fine.

Trouble is they don't detect all the dickheads driving dangerously by tailgating,overtaking on bends and generally behaving like prats, that a plod patrol may do.
Speeding is not the be all and end all of bad driving!

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
This is quite interesting! A Number Plate Flash Reflector! Is it actually legal? And how would the police go about catching a car without knowing the registration?

http://www.wellcoolstuff.com/Mercha...t_Code=NPFR&Category_Code=OFG&Product_Count=4

reflector-strip-one.jpg

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I remember seeing some show, which may have been american and not apply, where they examined a range of products. Legally, your registration has to be visible. Some of these products (I believe there's a spray available that coats the plate instead), work by reflecting the camera flash back at the lens.

I'm not sure if it only has to be visible to the naked eye or also on film, but if it's not visible on camera I can't see how they can identify you (assuming you don't have something distinctive on display).

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Anyone know if the one on the Old Shoreham Road by BHASVIC works? Got 'flashed' a week ago coming past it. How long does it usually take for letter to arrive and how much is the fine? I can't have been doing much more than 38mph, if that.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
This morning I got flashed (by a speed camera!) on the opposite side of the road to the markings and going in the opposite direction. I was being naughty and doing about 40 in a 30 zone. I can't get done for this, can I?

Of course you can, doing 40 in a 30 zone is an offence!

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
Anyone know if the one on the Old Shoreham Road by BHASVIC works? Got 'flashed' a week ago coming past it. How long does it usually take for letter to arrive and how much is the fine? I can't have been doing much more than 38mph, if that.

If you have not herd anything within 16 days your fine!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
If you have not herd anything within 16 days your fine!

If you have heard within 16 days, it's still YOUR fine (and points)

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Are the Notice for Intended Prosecution letters sent out recorded delivery? If not, how can it ever be proven that you received notification within the legal period?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Are the Notice for Intended Prosecution letters sent out recorded delivery? If not, how can it ever be proven that you received notification within the legal period?

I'm pretty sure they don't go out recorded delivery, but there must be some official position on it, because otherwise everyone would claim they never received their fines presumably.

It's like if you've moved house but don't tell the DVLA. They will send any speeding fines etc to the address you've given, and then if you don't receive it and thus pay up, it's your problem and you'll be summonsed to court for non payment of fines. And if you don't turn up for court because you still didn't receive the summons, you're in further trouble.

All they have to do is send the paperwork to your registered address, then it's deemed to be served.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
All I can say is that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Don't believe everything Nick Freeman says and don't waste your money on reflective plates - they don't work. don't exceed the speed limit and there is no problem but never plead guilty if you are not. Stories never tend to be totally accurate when they originate from a mates friend's wife who heard something at a party.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Reflective numberplate film might work, might not, but if you're caught with it on then you face a possible charge of Attempting to Pervert the course of Justice. That's a biggun and could see you in the big house with the nasty men.

As for not receiving the NIP, as Edna says, the law considers first Class post "deemed served"; if you genuinely didn't get it and then get summonsed for not paying the fixed penalty you can go to court and make a Statutory declaration. You could then ask the bench to fine at the same level as a fixed penalty and they may be sympathetic.
If you've done the speed, pay the fine, take the points and be more careful.

[please note, I am not a lawyer and any any advice is worth whatever you pay for it]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here