Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Speed camera switch on

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There are thousands of narrow / bendy rural roads in this country where even in the most perfect conditions imaginable, it would still never be safe to drive that stretch at 60mph. What sense is there for the legal limit on those stretches to be higher than it would ever be safe to drive them?

BIt more time now so to clarify my facepalm, when I refer to conditions, I not limiting that to weather. It relates to the layout of the road, eg bends in the road, condition of the road surface, traffic etc, etc. I can't believe anyone thinks that when driving along country roads you are expected to drive at the limit and that's the reason why the are there. Common sense should be applied.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Now I'm on my soapbox regarding motorway speed limits, I also agree with some of the points raised here, but wish to add a couple of my own. As one of the more ''mature'' members of the forum I remember owning vehicles in the past that are now considered classics such as a Triumph Vietesse MK 1, Ford Cortina Mk 1, Ford Cortina Mk 2 1600E, and an old Norton Jubilee and Commando for the bikies amongst us. I also seem to remember somewhere in the back of my mind that the speed limit was brought in about 1970 ish due to the fuel crisis at the time but could be wrong.

Its fair to say that there was far less traffic on the roads in the late 60's early 70's so there were less things to bump into, but compared to vehicles on the road today the vehicles I owned then were absolute death traps. Try doing 70 MPH in a MK1 or 2 Ford Cortina (If they would reach 70 mph) its frightening, they didnt steer, hold the road or stop, tyre technology was still in its infancy and drum brakes!!!!!!!!!! no traction control, no braking aids, no collision warning, anti skid, airbags etc.

I dont have data but I know my current vehicle which is a saloon car will stop at least in half the distance my old Triumph did and that was a sports machine at the time. Its time in my view that the motorways are controlled more sensibly and at times 70 MPH should be able to be exceeded, they have been doing that on autobahns in Germany for years on selected stretches outside of areas where there are no intersections or other narrower or more dangerous locations, bridges etc.

I do believe though that people should drive at a speed safe for the conditions of the road, weather and traffic flow at the time, if that is less than 70 mph so be it, but the same stands if its safe to drive over 70 mph.

Just adding: The 70mph speed limit definitely came in in 1965 though. The 'oil crisis' one you're thinking of was in 1973 when speed limits were temporarily set at 50mph for all roads. This time it WAS just temporary!

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
And it's when the authorities make idiot statements like that people roll their eyes and their advice becomes defunct. Using that theory every motorway speed limit should be dropped at night to 50mph "to allow pollution to settle" :facepalm:

I don't condone speeding but our speed limits are too low and we have an obsession with raising funds via cameras. Should at least be the same as French motorways.

With the cheapness of cameras these days, its about time the limits were raised to something sensible, say 80 mph, and zero tolerance, so if you speed you get fined. If every miles of motorway was covered no one would do it. But if you 70mph at the moment, I doubt you'll ever over take anyone. Even 80 you'll be just keeping up with everyone else.

kjgood

Old age has set in thank you for clarifying that. But wasnt the Jaguar speed tests of the E Type on the M1 to prove it could do 150 mph (which was fixed because it couldnt) something to do with having a speed limit as well or have I really lost it?

Just adding: The 70mph speed limit definitely came in in 1965 though. The 'oil crisis' one you're thinking of was in 1973 when speed limits were temporarily set at 50mph for all roads. This time it WAS just temporary!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Old age has set in thank you for clarifying that. But wasnt the Jaguar speed tests of the E Type on the M1 to prove it could do 150 mph (which was fixed because it couldnt) something to do with having a speed limit as well or have I really lost it?

Dunno! I'm nerdily pleased that I remembered all the speed limit date stuff! (I googled it to check)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here