Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
4/10 for effort.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I drove past on Monday this week and the camera van was working & positioned 50 metres past the static position (in a seafront parking space) taking shots of those 500m/1000m back down the road towards KA before they slowed down for the static.

Nasty feeling that is where the answer lies :(

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I drove past on Monday this week and the camera van was working & positioned 50 metres past the static position (in a seafront parking space) taking shots of those 500m/1000m back down the road towards KA before they slowed down for the static.

So, the story is unfolding. He noticed the camera he'd seen every day for the last 7 years was in a position that rendered it impossible to take a photo and as he stepped hard on the gas in wild elation, failed to notice the replacement camera van. :whistle:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
So, the story is unfolding. He noticed the camera he'd seen every day for the last 7 years was in a position that rendered it impossible to take a photo and as he stepped hard on the gas in wild elation, failed to notice the replacement camera van. :whistle:
That's about right.

Bit ****ing sneaking aint it!!!

Confirmed it was a mobile one. I suppose I will have to sit on the naughty step and be told how evil I am for driving 36mph on a dual carriageway.

Oh the shame!!! First one in 20 years, so it's not that bad.

I beat they made a nice little amount since the main cameras been out. I'm a bit embarrassed that when I think there's no camera there, that I was only doing 36mph to be honest.

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
That's about right.

Bit ****ing sneaking aint it!!!

Confirmed it was a mobile one. I suppose I will have to sit on the naughty step and be told how evil I am for driving 36mph on a dual carriageway.

Oh the shame!!! First one in 20 years, so it's not that bad.

I beat they made a nice little amount since the main cameras been out. I'm a bit embarrassed that when I think there's no camera there, that I was only doing 36mph to be honest.

have they offered the speed awareness course yes it £85 but no points on licence... that is the only money they make if you pay the £100 it goes to the government. I got caught by a mobile one by the cemetery in the Old Shoreham rd,, my own fault as I knew it was a 30 and was speeding...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I hope they got a fair few, its dangerous speeding along down there, look what happened to the static speed camera.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm a bit embarrassed that when I think there's no camera there, that I was only doing 36mph to be honest.

20% over the speed limit. Had you needed to stop, you'd have taken approx. 10 meters more than someone doing 30 mph. Or to put it another way, had you and someone next to you dead level who was doing 30mph and 23m up the road a kid walked out who you both saw at exactly the same time, the driver next to you would be stopped at the feet of the kid, you'd be still doing about 15mph.

Get on your speed awareness course you naughty boy!*

*yes, I've been on one. I thought it was quite good as it goes, it did change my driving mentality. I'm not a fast driver, my first and only offence in 23 years of driving, but it did highlight some interest points.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I hope they got a fair few, its dangerous speeding along down there, look what happened to the static speed camera.
Yer, lethal. A big wide open dual carriageway with a clear line of sight all the way along it! I don't think the camera damage was down to speeding. I think the person who hit it was pissed.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

It was put thereabouts because 20 years back a retired couple were mown down and both killed by someone doing 70 as they slowly crossed the wide road from the Sackville Hotel

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
20% over the speed limit. Had you needed to stop, you'd have taken approx. 10 meters more than someone doing 30 mph. Or to put it another way, had you and someone next to you dead level who was doing 30mph and 23m up the road a kid walked out who you both saw at exactly the same time, the driver next to you would be stopped at the feet of the kid, you'd be still doing about 15mph.

Get on your speed awareness course you naughty boy!*

*yes, I've been on one. I thought it was quite good as it goes, it did change my driving mentality. I'm not a fast driver, my first and only offence in 23 years of driving, but it did highlight some interest points.
That's bullshit as if a kid was 33m up the road and looked like he was close enough to step out into the road, then any decent driver would have slowed down just in case he did step out, as the road is very open and is easy to see what is ahead of you. In that case, every road that has a pavement next to it, should be 30mph, which they are not.

I'm all for 20mph speed limits on housing estates and outside Schools, but this road does seem to be a bit of overkill. If it has to be 30mph, I'd rather they made it one lane, and put the cycle lane in the other lane, and not on the pavement. But then I suppose they put it on the pavement, as no ****ers walks on it, which makes the need for a safety camera in that location, even more puzzling.

But I have been a naughty boy, so will sit on the naughty step because of those manic 6 extra miles per hour!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's bullshit as if a kid was 33m up the road and looked like he was close enough to step out into the road, then any decent driver would have slowed down just in case he did step out, as the road is very open and is easy to see what is ahead of you. In that case, every road that has a pavement next to it, should be 30mph, which they are not.

I'm all for 20mph speed limits on housing estates and outside Schools, but this road does seem to be a bit of overkill. If it has to be 30mph, I'd rather they made it one lane, and put the cycle lane in the other lane, and not on the pavement. But then I suppose they put it on the pavement, as no ****ers walks on it, which makes the need for a safety camera in that location, even more puzzling.

But I have been a naughty boy, so will sit on the naughty step because of those manic 6 extra miles per hour!

It was just a general point about the difference between 30mph and 36mph.

The only reason we have 20mph limits really is because in 30mph limits, people think it's okay to do 35 or so mph. 20mph limits get people driving at 30 and below.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It was put thereabouts because 20 years back a retired couple were mown down and both killed by someone doing 70 as they slowly crossed the wide road from the Sackville Hotel

I seem to remember a car accident along there when some youngsters drove straight in to one of the big lamposts on the central reservation.2 or 3 killed I think. Speed kills ....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

There were box radar traps on the side of the road some 25 years before that, whenever they started using them. Kingsway had one of the first in Sussex IIRC

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
I seem to remember a car accident along there when some youngsters drove straight in to one of the big lamposts on the central reservation.2 or 3 killed I think. Speed kills ....

We're all travelling around the sun at 30 kilometres per second without it being the cause of anyone's death.

It's change in momentum that kills, not speed.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
When all said and done, here is a huge,wide, mostly straight dual carriageway passing a stretch of Hove mostly devoid of pedestrians, crossings everywhere and long central safety divides and we have 30 mph limit. Ridiculous. Pure money spinning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here