Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Speed awareness course

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Most days I drive through Richmond Park I’m happy to do the 20mph as I like to look at the deer. Cyclists don’t think the speed restriction applies to them, what particularly narcs me is the plod do nothing about it.
It doesn't. Cycles are not obliged to have speedometers and speed limits do not apply to cyclists.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I would suggest that would be down to the attitude with which you approached the course.
Funnily enough, I just did one (via Zoom) earlier this week. There were 9 of us....we had to introduce ourselves at the beginning, and say what sort of car we drove. One guy was slumped in his chair looking completely uninterested. He said he drove a Porsche. He then got ticked off multiple times during the course for either looking at his phone, or not engaging with the little tests we did along the way. At the end the instructor said that 8 of us had passed, but the Porsche driver hadn't. The instructor said she'd be writing a report for the Police, and it was up to them, but she reckoned they'd give him 3 points and a fine for not engaging with the course!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why are you even linking them together?
I'm not really linking them together but SB bangs on about cycling and wants more testing for motorists but never seems to suggest that cyclists should also have some basic training. It's not one or the other, it's about road safety for all.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm not really linking them together but SB bangs on about cycling and wants more testing for motorists but never seems to suggest that cyclists should also have some basic training. It's not one or the other, it's about road safety for all.
The only reason roads aren't safe is because of motor vehicles.

We should be doing everything in our power to promote alternate means of transport. We're not going to achieve a significant increase in cycling if our attitude is 'take a mandatory test because cycling on the road is really dangerous because of all the cars'.

What are you going to do, ban all the kids and everyone cycling who doesn't pass a test? What genius thinking, implement a multiple million pound bike proficiency database, see cycling numbers drop significantly add more car journeys added to the roads. Going on decisions we've made in this country over the last decade or so it will probably happen too. :facepalm:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm with you on this. Done a couple, maybe three, but 5-6 years ago since the last one. I think it is useful although suspect me now driving slower is more to do with my age than the course. But a few take outs that I still have in my mind. What happens if they stop suddenly in front. More paint the more danger. Do you want to go to prison for dangerous driving?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

We should be doing everything in our power to promote alternate means of transport. We're not going to achieve a significant increase in cycling if our attitude is 'take a mandatory test because cycling on the road is really dangerous because of all the cars'.

What are you going to do, ban all the kids and everyone cycling who doesn't pass a test? What genius thinking, implement a multiple million pound bike proficiency database, see cycling numbers drop significantly add more car journeys added to the roads. Going on decisions we've made in this country over the last decade or so it will probably happen too. :facepalm:
So cyclists never hit pedestrians or other cyclists? Motor vehicles are the biggest threat to safety but they are not the only threat.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

No Drew is right we should definitely give cars and bicycles equal billing.

38795542-9211043-image-m-37_1612293027685.jpg

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
2) I was the only person attending the course who correctly described the shape and colours of a STOP sign...
Did you also correctly say that the design of the give way sign is to fit the words in the triangle.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So cyclists never hit pedestrians or other cyclists? Motor vehicles are the biggest threat to safety but they are not the only threat.
The streets of Amsterdam and Copenhagen are awash with injuries from cyclists. It's a nightmare for them.

They're all so healthy too, air is a bit cleaner, traffic moves a lot better. If only they had the foresight to conclude the threat to life between a car and cyclist is of equal billing. That will learn them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The streets of Amsterdam and Copenhagen are awash with injuries from cyclists. It's a nightmare for them.
He's playing the man, not the ball, and looking increasingly silly while doing so.
Really not worth the wear and tear on your thumbs, Bold.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

They're all so healthy too, air is a bit cleaner, traffic moves a lot better. If only they had the foresight to conclude the threat to life between a car and cyclist is of equal billing. That will learn them.
:facepalm:

So you're still on the 'them or us' approach rather than 'them and us'. Truly bizarre as I've never said it is equal billing but you carry on making it up.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Hmm that point is debatable..but not sure it’s allowed …it all gets them and us by the more vociferous

Re speed limits I’ve never taken this course ..I’m not perfect but I try to adhere to them ..have to admit I find the 20mph tricky and do drift into 20/25 range ..30 and above no problem

Does this course cover car parks ..I find some don’t seem to think any rules apply 👀

Jul 7, 2003
Funnily enough, I just did one (via Zoom) earlier this week. There were 9 of us....we had to introduce ourselves at the beginning, and say what sort of car we drove. One guy was slumped in his chair looking completely uninterested. He said he drove a Porsche. He then got ticked off multiple times during the course for either looking at his phone, or not engaging with the little tests we did along the way. At the end the instructor said that 8 of us had passed, but the Porsche driver hadn't. The instructor said she'd be writing a report for the Police, and it was up to them, but she reckoned they'd give him 3 points and a fine for not engaging with the course!!
This is why I have opted for a face to face course - too easily distracted in online work meetings let alone something like this.

They talk about inappropriate speed which makes a lot of people think. However, they are not so keen on people repeating the old Clarkson line about "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That's what gets you" - someone on my course got a nice lecture about this not being a laughing matter after using that line.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
:facepalm:

So you're still on the 'them or us' approach rather than 'them and us'. Truly bizarre as I've never said it is equal billing but you carry on making it up.
No, I don't see a correlation linking a bicycle to a car in that the two things both need mandatory testing of some kind to operate one. If that is truly bizarre and making it up, welcome to the crazy farm.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No, I don't see a correlation linking a bicycle to a car in that the two things both need mandatory testing of some kind to operate one. If that is truly bizarre and making it up, welcome to the crazy farm.
No link other than the fact they share space with several tonnes of metal that can cause them serious harm! Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting they have the same level of testing as a motorist. Kids do a bikeability test at primary school but even if they fail that and don't get a certificate they can still cycle on any road where cycling is permitted. Do you you think that is wise?

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I'm a professional advanced driver who does several hundred miles a day sometimes.

A few years ago I had to travel through a section of 50mph average speed cameras between Sandbach and Knutsfod on the M6 every day for 2 years to go to and from work. Inevitably one day I drifted over what they allow and ended up on s speed awareness course.

I was sceptical prior to attending, but I learned from it despite all the professional driver training I've had.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
:lolol:
Arrogant twat, at the next insurance renewal he'll have to reveal.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
83% of adult cyclists own cars and some of the remainder still drive, but don't own cars.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here