[Misc] Speed awareness course

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Who has had one?

I got done for doing 45 through the traffic lights at Hillbarn on one of the very rare occasions I have actually got through the lights before they changed.

I received the letter a few days later offering me a speed awareness course at £90 or three points on my licence and a fine as well. Of course I opted for the course thinking it would be 2 and a half hours of mind numbing lecturing.

As it happens I quite enjoyed the course and found it interesting.

Since then, about three weeks ago, I have been far more circumspect in town driving. I was quite amazed by the difference 1 mph an hour over 30 can be in regard to stopping distances.

I have been driving since Noah was a boy and thought I knew exactly what I could and couldn’t do when driving in town traffic. I was wrong and am now far more aware when in 30 and 20 mph limits

What are your thoughts if you’ve done a Speed Awareness Course?
Icy got caught at exactly the same junction on 9th January, as it was a company car I've had to confirm it was me driving, so waiting to hear.

I went on a Speed Awareness Course many years ago at Fontwell, thought it would be full of boy racers and it was the complete opposite, like a Last of the Summer Wine fans convention, with lots of 70 plus drivers not wanting points on their licence as it would effect their insurance, one old bloke claimed as he was moving to France (this was pre brexit) it would have seen his French car insurance double with points.

I found it informative, and in the main do drive more thoughtfully, clearly there's been a slip on this occasion but I would wager that junction at Hill Barn will be a huge income stream re fines in the next few years.

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
Most days I drive through Richmond Park I’m happy to do the 20mph as I like to look at the deer. Cyclists don’t think the speed restriction applies to them, what particularly narcs me is the plod do nothing about it.
Sorry to stray slightly off topic... On the one hand, kudos for driving no more than the limit, but two things to note. You really should not be driving (rat running) through Richmond Park. It's a nature reserve and you're spoiling the nature and air. Please leave your car at home or the A3, A203 that exist for a purpose.
You're right though that far more drivers go way over the limit, and there really should be more enforcement.
Next, there's no public highways in Richmond Park, the roads technically are bridleways. Royal Parks have their own peculiar byelaws, one effect of which is there is no speed limit for cycles so you are incorrect to say they 'speed'. Some do go a bit too fast of course and the police do enforce some limits to 'recklessness' but for their own protection down some hills occasionally.

Which brings me to the main point of false equivalence. Cyclists do not present anything like the degree of harm as any motor vehicle. The scale in terms of kinetic energy is something like a factor of 2000 in terms of potential for harm in fact. They also do not pollute (except when driving to the park in their range rovers with the carbon frame in the back for a few laps, idiots).

So, enjoy the nature. Thanks for taking care to reduce roadkill. Even better, cycle to work.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Icy got caught at exactly the same junction on 9th January, as it was a company car I've had to confirm it was me driving, so waiting to hear.

I went on a Speed Awareness Course many years ago at Fontwell, thought it would be full of boy racers and it was the complete opposite, like a Last of the Summer Wine fans convention, with lots of 70 plus drivers not wanting points on their licence as it would effect their insurance, one old bloke claimed as he was moving to France (this was pre brexit) it would have seen his French car insurance double with points.

I found it informative, and in the main do drive more thoughtfully, clearly there's been a slip on this occasion but I would wager that junction at Hill Barn will be a huge income stream re fines in the next few years.
Slow down!

Last edited:

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Yeah, done it a couple of times. First I thought was patronising, box-ticking rubbish. Guy doing it made us all feel like naughty children and it felt weirdly confrontational. Wasn't helped by me thinking I was unfairly done: 1am on a completely empty motorway, suddenly goes to a 50 with very little warning and absolutely no reason. Just didn't cut my speed quickly enough. Second time the course was done remotely and I got a lot more out of it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah, done it a couple of times. First I thought was patronising, box-ticking rubbish. Guy doing it made us all feel like naughty children and it felt weirdly confrontational. Wasn't helped by me thinking I was unfairly done: 1am on a completely empty motorway, suddenly goes to a 50 with very little warning and absolutely no reason. Just didn't cut my speed quickly enough. Second time the course was done remotely and I got a lot more out of it.
I would suggest that would be down to the attitude with which you approached the course.

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
I took the course rather than points having being caught doing 35 near Halnaker.

Although I considered myself a safe driver I can say the course did change my behaviour. Not for the obvious reasons of thinking more about the consequences of speeding, but not wanting to be associated with drivers so sociopathicly unthinking and irresponsible to risk other people's lives out of habit (although you have to feel sorry for some professional drivers forced into risky behaviour by irresponsible employers).

Speeding, or rushing about through, is a symptom of being out of control, having some external influence dictate your timetable at your risk. Personally, I think it smarter to think ahead for a less stressful, less harmful rate of progress through life and other people's neighbourhoods.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I would suggest that would be down to the attitude with which you approached the course.
It’s that mainly male thing (touched on, on another unrelated thread) of people who hate being told what to do. Hence the animosity by a stubborn hardcore of disliking the police, traffic wardens, teachers.

On the course I did there was a bloke about 70 who’d been caught doing 85mph, late for a family ‘airport run’ to Gatwick. He thought the whole thing an injustice and waste of his time “due to empty roads at 6am”.

Some people thing they’re the best driver and laws shouldn’t apply to them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I took the course rather than points having being caught doing 35 near Halnaker.

Although I considered myself a safe driver I can say the course did change my behaviour. Not for the obvious reasons of thinking more about the consequences of speeding, but not wanting to be associated with drivers so sociopathicly unthinking and irresponsible to risk other people's lives out of habit (although you have to feel sorry for some professional drivers forced into risky behaviour by irresponsible employers).

Speeding, or rushing about through, is a symptom of being out of control, having some external influence dictate your timetable at your risk. Personally, I think it smarter to think ahead for a less stressful, less harmful rate of progress through life and other people's neighbourhoods.
Leaving home earlier is a helpful action.

The last minute Charlie thing leads to speeding, stress, annoyance at setbacks such as heavy traffic.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It’s that mainly male thing (touched on, on another unrelated thread) of people who hate being told what to do. Hence the animosity by a stubborn hardcore of disliking the police, traffic wardens, teachers.

On the course I did there was a bloke about 70 who’d been caught doing 85mph, late for a family ‘airport run’ to Gatwick. He thought the whole thing an injustice and waste of his time “due to empty roads at 6am”.

Some people thing they’re the best driver and laws shouldn’t apply to them.
99% of which are consequence free middle age, and older, drivers.

Very few 'kidz' turn up on these courses because they've had recent training, they face serious ramifications for their actions, and they aren't in top specced cars designed (and advertised) to be the safety place on the planet...

...For all those on the inside.

clivebuckley

Jul 28, 2011
Beware if you get caught speeding in Scotland there’s no speed awareness courses they think they don’t work apparently!
Hence I got 3 points £100 fine and £60 extra on my insurance!

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Most days I drive through Richmond Park I’m happy to do the 20mph as I like to look at the deer. Cyclists don’t think the speed restriction applies to them, what particularly narcs me is the plod do nothing about it.
No issue with cyclists speedin. As a cyclist you are vulnerable, cause negliganble risks to others (when compared to cars) and speed is limited anyway. It's the twats hurtling about in cars that are the issue (or those watching the wildlife as they poodle along;);)).

Have to say that the number of cyclists in Richmond park is problematic though, constant stream means its really difficult to cross the road when out for awalk there. Ultimately, there are too many people, whatever mode of transsport is used.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Completely agree with you there. I've also done it twice and whilst I thought the course was pretty good the two worst things about it were the people hosting it (first one wasn't too bad but the second couple of guys were as you say making you feel like you've been sent to the headmasters office) but worse were the people on the course. The first one was a pretty small group 10-15 at most there was one guy who just had to be the best at everything and got right up my nose. At one point he claimed he owned 5 copies of the highway code.

The second one was at Brighton Racecourse one Saturday morning and there must have been 100+ people. Seemed everyone bar me had a hard luck story.

I'd happily do a remote one again. Not sure I'd want to do it again in a classroom. Think I'd rather take the points.

I also find it odd how they vary from police force and from venue. My dad did one several years back at Wellshurst golf club and it was the best part of a day and involved you going out for a drive with an instructor. Another pal did one under the City of London police and it only lasted an hour.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Completely agree with you there. I've also done it twice and whilst I thought the course was pretty good the two worst things about it were the people hosting it (first one wasn't too bad but the second couple of guys were as you say making you feel like you've been sent to the headmasters office) but worse were the people on the course. The first one was a pretty small group 10-15 at most there was one guy who just had to be the best at everything and got right up my nose. At one point he claimed he owned 5 copies of the highway code.

The second one was at Brighton Racecourse one Saturday morning and there must have been 100+ people. Seemed everyone bar me had a hard luck story.

I'd happily do a remote one again. Not sure I'd want to do it again in a classroom. Think I'd rather take the points.

I also find it odd how they vary from police force and from venue. My dad did one several years back at Wellshurst golf club and it was the best part of a day and involved you going out for a drive with an instructor. Another pal did one under the City of London police and it only lasted an hour.
Was half expecting you to say the instructor took him out for 9 holes after misreading “best part of (the) a day”

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Did you turn up in person to yours? Mine was during covid, so was an online course. I looked at booking locally, but then found it was cheaper to book up north, so I selected Liverpool. I didn't mind the extra travel since it was online.
Yeah did mine at the greyhound stadium just before first lockdown. Was like being back at school, a smart arse asking the most basic questions and no one answering, I put my hand up on several occasions as it was embarrassing 😅

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Surely it would be safer if people didn't know where the cameras were and therefore drove as if they could be caught at any time. Advertising where the cameras are just means people slow down as they approach that spot then speed up afterwards.
We now have reliable average speed camera technology often seen on stretches of motorway road-works.
I foresee, that this technology will eventually become installed on every A road and all motorways.
This will eliminate the slow-down, speed-up, yo-yo driving you mention.
Sure it will bring in a King's ransom in fines to begin with, but when drivers learn that there is nowhere where they can get away with exceeding the speed limit, speed limits will be adhered to.

I'm not advocating I want this, just saying that I think it will come ... eventually.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I think 75% of the people on mine got caught by the new limit/camera at the junction of lewes road/ coldean Lane. I'm certain there were no signs up for weeks
Yep, this camera got me in December 2021.
39 mph - I thought it was a 40 zone, dual-carriageway, housing set well back, no pavement, etc. but I was wrong
Did the course via Zoom

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Yep, this camera got me in December 2021.
39 mph - I thought it was a 40 zone, duel-carriageway, housing set well back, no pavement, etc. but I was wrong
Did the course via Zoom
That camera was a red light camera for years and turned into a speed camera over night, I swear it didn't have the yellow sticker on or signs put up for weeks. Caught loads of people out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here