Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Speed awareness course

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Done the course, now every trip I use the Waze app alerts you to all speed restrictions and camera positions. I got caught doing 34 in a 30 most on my course were either red light camera or just over the speed limit offenders. I guess if you get caught doing 60 in a 30 you just get the points?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The courses should be mandatory every 5 years.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The one at the Coldean Lane / Lewis Road is the 7th highest earning in England. Thats the one that did me.
Course was ok, generally stick to limits now, but struggle with the 20 limited roads. Used to be 30, and used to do around 35. Now do between 20-25 in a 20.
Also often struggle to understand why some 40’s are not 30. They are residential, pavements right next to roads, street lights, but still 40?
Back to question, yep, quite informative. Did mine over zoom.
All the folk on my latest one were caught in 20 zones, I was doing 25 with some agitated tosser tailgating me (who I saved as a result).

They are aggressively policing 20 zones now. A good thing I believe, but wish it was more widely known. I now always use the speed limiter in my car, impossible to stick to 20 (ish) without it I find. Most of my area is 20 now and it's great, so calm and I get to piss off other drivers behind me.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I’ve slowed down on m-ways and dual carriageways, often setting cruise control to a gentle speed.

I now get to the destination/home stress free. Whilst loads bomb past at 85mph or more, gifting extra profits to the petro companies.

Also far more economical ... thus saving money in these tough times.

The long term average fuel consumption on my 12 year old BMW 320d ED is 50mpg ... lots of short trips. Had to go to Cambridge a couple of days ago so reset the computer and drove mostly around 70mph on motorway with a gentle right foot. Average by time I got to Cambridge was 70.6mpg!

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
It's beight caught that makes you think more, not the course. More speed traps in built up areas would have more impact. 20 zones are great, so much better for pedestrians and cyclists, barring sodding busses and council vehicles that seem to be excused from speed limits.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why? They aren’t that great or particularly informative.
The attitude which perfectly emphasises why they should be mandatory.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It's beight caught that makes you think more, not the course. More speed traps in built up areas would have more impact. 20 zones are great, so much better for pedestrians and cyclists, barring sodding busses and council vehicles that seem to be excused from speed limits.
Most days I drive through Richmond Park I’m happy to do the 20mph as I like to look at the deer. Cyclists don’t think the speed restriction applies to them, what particularly narcs me is the plod do nothing about it.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Did a defensive course at work, mandatory for all company car drivers to reduce the number of crashes!! and improve insurance costs. Brilliant information, well worth the time. Will stay with me till I die...........of old age hopefully!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So what actually is the limit now on the A24 at Hill Barn?

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
One thing that we learned on the course was that some speed limits are actually higher than we previously thought. It wasn’t all about reducing speed.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Sat one before, a whole day of some dullard being condescending towards me, like 67 in a 60 (on a motorway) is a violent crime. Better than the 3 points and insurance hike but pointless otherwise. Told the wench she's taking the fall on the next one.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sat one before, a whole day of some dullard being condescending towards me, like 67 in a 60 (on a motorway) is a violent crime. Better than the 3 points and insurance hike but pointless otherwise. Told the wench she's taking the fall on the next one.
Did they tell you that 60 wasn’t a target, but a maximum?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Done the course, now every trip I use the Waze app alerts you to all speed restrictions and camera positions. I got caught doing 34 in a 30 most on my course were either red light camera or just over the speed limit offenders. I guess if you get caught doing 60 in a 30 you just get the points?
60 in a 30 is a ‘Band C’ offence - v likely to go to court, could be 6 points or a ban, plus a much bigger fine (150% of weekly wage)

el punal

Yep.

I was also surprised by the difference 1 mph can make, but that aside, I didn't like the course. I found it patronising and disingenuous.
I’m not sure that you’re there to like it - after all it is a form of punishment. If if means, that for a minor traffic offence, you retain a clean licence (okay, it sets you back £90) and you don’t have to go to court then it’s worthwhile. I must admit when I attended the course the people that ran it were informative and helpful. They certainly brought it home to me how a minor transgression on the road could lead to something a lot more serious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here