Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Speed awareness course

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I got a letter for speeding in Birmingham. It could have been me, it could have been my daughter. West Midlands police could not (or would not) give us any more help in identifying who it was. My daughter was doing a year camper-vanning round Australia with her (non-driving) boyfriend - had it been her, the West Midlands police would have got in touch with the Aussie police, who would confiscate her licence on the spot and post it to West Midlands police, effectively ending her holiday (immediately, not after her year in Aussie which they'd saved up for years). She could, of course, have paid a £thousand quid and more to come back and do he course in the time allowed, but no time extension would be allowed, certainly not enough to enable her to complete her holiday of lifetime - some decent deal? .....no!

So, we made a family decision; it must have been me driving at the time. I did the course. As someone who had been involved in delivering training courses for years, I wasn't much impressed - but hey, job done. A month later I had my first ever (very minor) collision with another vehicle, which was my fault. My first in over 50 years of a faultless driving record. I can only conclude that the course was rubbish!

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Yep.

I was also surprised by the difference 1 mph can make, but that aside, I didn't like the course. I found it patronising and disingenuous.
Ditto.

Some interesting stuff, but the course leader was a total knob on a power trip, seemed to love having a captive audience and lording it over the attendees.

I'm totally cynical though about many speed traps being genuinely about road safety and more about stealth taxing.

I get nobody is above law, but it's low hanging fruit financially for the police and too much police time is diverted on catching motorists who go over the limit slightly than on major crimes.

I got done on M1 with cruise control on 70, at 3am, in heavy pissing rain, I was going past an artic lorry, spray off it, windscreen wipers on full and the gantry above dropped to 60, was the first indication of speed reduction and conveniently also had a speed camera on it, got me at 70, exactly as programmed.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
The one at the Coldean Lane / Lewis Road is the 7th highest earning in England. Thats the one that did me.
Course was ok, generally stick to limits now, but struggle with the 20 limited roads. Used to be 30, and used to do around 35. Now do between 20-25 in a 20.
Also often struggle to understand why some 40’s are not 30. They are residential, pavements right next to roads, street lights, but still 40?
Back to question, yep, quite informative. Did mine over zoom.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ditto.

Some interesting stuff, but the course leader was a total knob on a power trip, seemed to love having a captive audience and lording it over the attendees.

I'm totally cynical though about many speed traps being genuinely about road safety and more about stealth taxing.

I get nobody is above law, but it's low hanging fruit financially for the police and too much police time is wasted on catching motorists who go over the limit slightly than on major crimes.
Why not just make it illegal for car manufacturers to make and sell cars with a top speed more than 70 mph? It's illegal to go faster than that - so what's the point when a 12 year old Nissan Micro 998cc can do the ton?
The motor press, and the industry, would heap scorn and laugh themselves half to death at the very idea of a new car coming on to the market with a top speed of 70mph - and public opinion would go along with them. Limit ny Range Rover* to 70mph? - f*** that! But why? Why should any car on the road be able to go faster than 70mph - where would they be supposed to do it?

*or any other two ton plus killer car.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm doing the course later this month having been caught by the same camera. It was switched from a red light camera to a Speed on Green one. What I would say is the signage is very poor, the first two signs are for a traffic light camera and they have now added a small speed camera sign just before you get there. Not an excuse but these things are meant to be about safety rather than making money so I feel the signs should be more obvious to make people slow down.
Surely it would be safer if people didn't know where the cameras were and therefore drove as if they could be caught at any time. Advertising where the cameras are just means people slow down as they approach that spot then speed up afterwards.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've enjoyed all the ones I went to. I wouldn't class myself as a fast driver, just really bloody unlucky. Who gets caught speeding doing 25 ? It's a curse I tell ya
You're supposed to listen as well...

:ROFLMAO: Sorry, that just tickled me.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I did the course about 10years ago, It was great and a real eye opener. I still believe it should be compulsory for everyone to do it every 10-12years. As the guy said where else do you learn a skill or trade and do no further development or training on especially when the Highway Code changes over time

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Why not just make it illegal for car manufacturers to make and sell cars with a top speed more than 70 mph? It's illegal to go faster than that - so what's the point when a 12 year old Nissan Micro 998cc can do the ton?
The motor press, and the industry, would heap scorn and laugh themselves half to death at the nery idea of a new car coming on to the market with a top speed of 70mph - and public opinion would go along with them. Limit ny Range Rover* to 70mph? - f*** that! But why? Why should any car on the road be able to go faster than 70mph - where would they be supposed to do it?

*or any other two ton plus killer car.
Well quite. I've got a little Aygo and it's perfectly happy on the motorway at 65mph. I don't get why folks have big cars- excepting that they have to cart family around.

Low insurance, no tax, half price residents parking. What's not to like ?

theboybilly

The one at the Coldean Lane / Lewis Road is the 7th highest earning in England. Thats the one that did me.
Course was ok, generally stick to limits now, but struggle with the 20 limited roads. Used to be 30, and used to do around 35. Now do between 20-25 in a 20.
Also often struggle to understand why some 40’s are not 30. They are residential, pavements right next to roads, street lights, but still 40?
Back to question, yep, quite informative. Did mine over zoom.
That's the one that caught me. The filter to go up Coldean Lane was green so I knew I had time as the 'straight ahead' lights were still at red so had a fair bit of time. Trouble was I had to move over from the outside lane where the Bus Lane ends and still get across for the left turn. Unfortunately 2 buses were occupying the stop with a car behind so I couldn't move over into the Bus Lane to allow them to move. I must have just pushed on thinking I was still inside the limit. But I was nowhere near (36 in a 30) . It didn't feel like I was pushing it and it wasn't a stressed left-turn. Then 3 weeks later.....

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Nothing in front of me, late for work, pushed it to 36 to get through before lights changed. Photo showed I needn’t have bothered…..

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Who has had one?

I got done for doing 45 through the traffic lights at Hillbarn on one of the very rare occasions I have actually got through the lights before they changed.

I received the letter a few days later offering me a speed awareness course at £90 or three points on my licence and a fine as well. Of course I opted for the course thinking it would be 2 and a half hours of mind numbing lecturing.

As it happens I quite enjoyed the course and found it interesting.

Since then, about three weeks ago, I have been far more circumspect in town driving. I was quite amazed by the difference 1 mph an hour over 30 can be in regard to stopping distances.

I have been driving since Noah was a boy and thought I knew exactly what I could and couldn’t do when driving in town traffic. I was wrong and am now far more aware when in 30 and 20 mph limits

What are your thoughts if you’ve done a Speed Awareness Course?
They are brilliant. I've done two now.

Edit: One thing I learned is there is no such thing as an accident. It is always some fugger's fault.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Did one last week. Hightight was some moaning female lorrry driver getting thrown off the course for not paying attention, nodding off etc.
The course was OK. The course leader was an ex driving instructor rather than an ex cop on a power trip, which made it a little more palatable, if deathly dull.
I was definitely a stealth tax catch. Caught coming off an A road out of town. Limit goes to 40, then 30 within 100 yards. Mobile unit was positioned just after a blind bend immediately after the 30 sign. Fuming, but guilty as charged.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I did one many years ago, it was interesting in places and I have changed my driving style accordingly.

The biggest gripe from attendees was the huge variety of speed limits on any given road, anywhere from 30 to 60 with frequent changes for short sections etc.

The people running it were a bit holier than thou but I guess it goes with the job in some ways.

A couple of interesting things outside of the actual course were:

1) I attended the morning course and it was around 80:20 males to females. Apparently mothers tend to go to the afternoon courses because it is easier to get childcare after school etc. than before. PM courses are nearer 50:50

2) I was the only person attending the course who correctly described the shape and colours of a STOP sign...

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I think 75% of the people on mine got caught by the new limit/camera at the junction of lewes road/ coldean Lane. I'm certain there were no signs up for weeks

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ditto.

Yeah, mine seemed ok as a person, but was saying things like 'it's never safe to break the speedlimit' (which is just plain wrong) and since we're there to listen and not question, I just switched off.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think 75% of the people on mine got caught by the new limit/camera at the junction of lewes road/ coldean Lane. I'm certain there were no signs up for weeks
Did you turn up in person to yours? Mine was during covid, so was an online course. I looked at booking locally, but then found it was cheaper to book up north, so I selected Liverpool. I didn't mind the extra travel since it was online.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here