Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Spare wheel or no spare wheel and where to buy them

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
My car doesn't have a spare wheel - full size or space saver. I used one of the cans of filler when I got a flat but didn't feel comfortable driving with it and would like a spare wheel. Any recommendations for local places to get them please, cheaper than the £192 from Kwikfit?
Ta.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
That price doesn't sound too bad. My Mazda CX30 was new only 4 years ago and had no spare at all. I, like you, didn't fancy not having some sort of spare and bought one from Mazda for £450. It sounds a lot but having spent £30k on the car I thought it was worth the extra. My feeling that £192 seems fairly reasonable. Not sure how much cheaper you can get one but hope you get one sorted soon.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
That price doesn't sound too bad. My Mazda CX30 was new only 4 years ago and had no spare at all. I, like you, didn't fancy not having some sort of spare and bought one from Mazda for £450. It sounds a lot but having spent £30k on the car I thought it was worth the extra. My feeling that £192 seems fairly reasonable. Not sure how much cheaper you can get one but hope you get one sorted soon.
Do you carry a jack in your car and does the spare/jack fit in the boot space where the inflator and foam live?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Had a blow out on the M23 like others no spare, called an emergency company came out within the hour with a new tyre £180 all in. Not bad considering the tyre is £80

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Mine doesnt have one either. I guess the theory is that the fuel cost of lugging round the extra weight exceeds the cost of the occasional callout. I carry a pump and one of these puncture repair kits: https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/bens...MI76W4_OzIgwMVvpCDBx0fegAwEAQYCyABEgKTMPD_BwE. It'll deal quite happily with a nail type puncture but obviously not any major trauma to the tyre that you're likely to get from a pothole.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
My car doesn't have a spare wheel - full size or space saver. I used one of the cans of filler when I got a flat but didn't feel comfortable driving with it and would like a spare wheel. Any recommendations for local places to get them please, cheaper than the £192 from Kwikfit?
Ta.
Presumably this is a space saver thing not a 5th wheel matched to the vehicle?

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
My Fiat Panda didn't come with a spare wheel as standard, just a can. I paid an extra £120 for a full size spare which I thought was very reasonable. Only needed it once in 7 years, but the peace of mind has definitely been worth it.

SkirlieWirlie

Jan 6, 2024
Used these guys earlier in the year.

19 inch wheel was £170 delivered with jack, wrench and cover. Researched online and good reviews on several car forums. Bought it to swap out one wheel for a couple of days while being refurbished and did the trick. Good quality and I recall smaller sizes were around the £150-£160 mark.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
My Yaris came with a spray can and pump ! I didn’t trust it so bought a second hand space saver wheel and tyre plus a jack and wheel wrench from eBay I think, can’t remember now, but the lot only cost about £60/70 ! Was about 8/9 years ago.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Do you carry a jack in your car and does the spare/jack fit in the boot space where the inflator and foam live?
The jack was part of the install with the spare wheel, although can't help but feel it's just another way of many manufacturers making further money by selling you an essentially necessary extra.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Ta.
Hi Andrew, if you ever get issues when yr up this way, these guys are great.
Southall Discount Tyres
020 8578 3757

https://g.co/kgs/BfFpXsZ

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Where would you put it? Presumably the car doesn't have a dedicated space in the boot.

Even my Aygo has a proper spare wheel, and it's a tiny car

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I bought a fairly new Tiguan from Caffyns VW - huge boot with a pump and a small bottle of glue. Cost a small fortune but being old school I got them to fit a housing, spare wheel, Jack and the rest of the gubbins. I hope I don’t have to use it but personally it’s a weight off my shoulders.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I enjoy driving and still drive a lot and have probably had two flats in the last 10 years (one my daughter hitting a kerb, and one a pothole). In both cases there was 10 mins of really bad language involving myself and a scissor jack, but we were on our way. Me and Mrs Wz currently have three cars and the one that didn't have a spare, I bought a spacesaver off Ebay and threw it in the boot.

Kids today :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here