Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spanish striker

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Numancia is the club our Jonah used to play for in Spain, so maybe he's made the suggestion we look at him (yes, okay, he recommended Jon Obika), but this bloke does look to be slightly more skilful. Some of the defending (particularly on the earlier goals) was comical though. From what I can gather, rather than relying on Burke's database, the emphasis now is for the scouting team to go and watch players, so that gives hope we might see some better quality players signed. Sadly, though, I think signings like Ulloa are a thing of the past. Either Premiership or La Liga clubs will be after them, or they're on loan from La Liga, such as the fellow who got a load for Zaragoza, Borja Baston. I thought we might have had a look at him, until it was pointed out that he was on loan from Atletico Madrid.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Thought we had moved on from the Burke school of recruitment !!??

#Burke4Lyfe

Except not really at all.

For what its worth FM is used as a scouting tool by some clubs in the lower leagues such is the accuracy of its database. It also proves to be a pretty cheap option for clubs who can't afford to hire an actual scout.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
I would be genuinely excited if we did sign Enrich. I've seen him a couple of times and done the classic 'search him on youtube' and i've been quite impressed. My Spanish friend (Murcia fan) told me that he is a good player and teams in La Liga are rumoured to be in for him but he want to come to England. He's just over 6ft tall, strong, good in the air and has decent pace. The same friend also told me that he'd do even better in England due to his size & strength, as he does tend to give soft free kicks away in the Spanish league - he told me exactly the same thing of Ulloa. Comfortable on both feet and would do well for us i think!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I know this is revolutionary but could we consider playing 2 strikers as strikers up top? Works for successful teams in our league, so why not? Assuming this guy is a number 9, maybe Sam B could play as a number 10 off of him?
Most teams that go up play two strikers up front and if we play one then we need some seriously good attacking midfielders who can score loads and finding them could be difficult.
Enough's enough of this lop sided tactic and players being played out of position season after season

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
But that's because we had;

Baldock
Colunga
CMS
Best
Bent - for a bit
O'Grady

ALL on our wage bill. Rather than, say, 3 QUALITY strikers. We'd rather have LOADS of mediocre strikers than a few good ones. Especially logical seeing as we play ONE up front.

This is what's key. Yes, our squad is short given the returned loanees and released players. But last summer we just accumulated too many average players. I'd rather we played this season with a smaller squad, with some quality additions, and relied on the DS in emergency situations.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Coming from Spain to Brighton has to be much more attractive than Bolton geographically. We are a good first step in the UK and any player wanting to get a break over here only has to look at what we did for Ulloa.

Very true but you could also say look what we did for David Rodriguez & to some extent Colunga

Last edited:

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
I would be genuinely excited if we did sign Enrich. I've seen him a couple of times and done the classic 'search him on youtube' and i've been quite impressed. My Spanish friend (Murcia fan) told me that he is a good player and teams in La Liga are rumoured to be in for him but he want to come to England. He's just over 6ft tall, strong, good in the air and has decent pace. The same friend also told me that he'd do even better in England due to his size & strength, as he does tend to give soft free kicks away in the Spanish league - he told me exactly the same thing of Ulloa. Comfortable on both feet and would do well for us i think!

Thought he was 5ft 11"

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
3755829.jpg

Typical blooming Argus. They could have chosen a picture that didn't have an opposition player scoring against a team wearing blue and white stripes, with a dejected player and fans in the back ground.:ffsparr:

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
But that's because we had;

Baldock
Colunga
CMS
Best
Bent - for a bit
O'Grady

ALL on our wage bill. Rather than, say, 3 QUALITY strikers. We'd rather have LOADS of mediocre strikers than a few good ones. Especially logical seeing as we play ONE up front.

Nailed it! - all about quality not getting very ordinary/poor strikers

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Given we outspend most of the Championship in terms of our wage bills (reports indicate we're in the top 10 or thereabouts) then we can.

There's no way our playing wage bill would have been in the top 10 for last season. During the summer transfer window players were turning us down for the likes of Brentford and Charlton.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There's no way our playing wage bill would have been in the top 10 for last season. During the summer transfer window players were turning us down for the likes of Brentford and Charlton.

Play off losers Brentford then.
Bloom spent. Millions. But we came 20th. Because we had a miserable season doesn't mean he didn't get his cheque book out. Anyway the accounts are out early in 2016. We'll know for certain then.
NB: We were in top 10 in 2012/13 and accounts show playing budget increased in 2013/14...and TB said it increased further for 2014/15.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bloom spent. Millions. But we came 20th. Because we had a miserable season doesn't mean he didn't get his cheque book out. Anyway the accounts are out early in 2016. We'll know for certain then.
NB: We were in top 10 in 2012/13 and accounts show playing budget increased in 2013/14...and TB said it increased further for 2014/15.

If that is the case, which I do not doubt, a lot of people had questions to be asked by TB of their judgement. I suppose that was shown by Burke and Hypia going.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
What's that thing called where one of your players put's the ball in that net like thingy?

Can't remember.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina

Every club's playing budget increases each year as that's the nature of players contracts these days. However, from the signings we made last summer compared to most other Championship clubs it's clear that our budget did not increase as much as the rest of the league.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
What's that thing called where one of your players put's the ball in that net like thingy?

Can't remember.

Do you mean what they do with the footballs after training? They end up in something like this 10ballbag1.jpg

I think it's called tidying the balls away. No idea what you are on about otherwise.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Every club's playing budget increases each year as that's the nature of players contracts these days. However, from the signings we made last summer compared to most other Championship clubs it's clear that our budget did not increase as much as the rest of the league.

Why is it clear ? Because we came 20th in the league and Chris O Grady didn't find the back of the net much ?
I'm fairly certain we still paid him handsomely every week and he cost more to buy at a reported £600K than half the top ten strikers in the Championship last season. (small fees, frees or loans for the most part)
NB: In 2013/14 a number of championship clubs reduced their playing budgets (according to their accounts). We don't know about 2014/15 yet but not every club increases their playing budget every year although of course wage inflation , partly because of the Prem and parachute payments, is a factor.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Being negative would be saying something like 'I don't think Hughton is doing well, I don't think we've bought the right players and with our limited budget I don't think we can fix the problems over summer to give us a good season next year'. That's negative. Whereas saying "Our Chairman let us down badly too broken promises and bullshit" is factually incorrect and bedwetting.

So where is the blame to lay then ? Mildred the tea lady ?
I see you are one of the confirmed Bloom " lickers" Oh he who can do no wrong,
well Im sorry but this mess this season especailly IS his fault.
Then the next thing you get then is " oohh he's put soooo muuuuch of his own money in "
Hmmm ? Well so have I and thousands of others so we deserve better than the shite we have witnessed this season.
It would take the sting out of it had he not kept telling the media he though Hyypia was doing a great job, and he hopes he is
here for years to come, and that Albion should be in the Premier League.
It makes us look so feckin stupid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here