Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spanish Dave - What exactly does he do?!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
What can I say... I love Spanish Dave..

I cannot understand why he attracts such a backlash on here.
The continual moaning when he makes the team is beyond belief.
Dave has the potential to make and score exquisite goals, more so than any other player available to us IMHO.

Yes his performances are not at the level of last year.. The same is true of many other players.
However I would argue his highlight reel for this season eclipses anyone else in the squad... If he was performing at that level in every match... well he wouldn't be playing for us, would he?

For the (admittedly infrequent) moments of magic and for the entertainment value of this thread... Spanish Dave is worth every penny in my book.

Viva Dave! :albion2:

Hey, Dave is the most talented player in our squad, those who bemoan him show a lack of understanding of the game and his game. His ability to place the ball where he wants on the pitch is exquisite and at times he finds himself in a dogfight in the championship. He is a game changer and a game winner and those who criticise him for not getting stuck in should look around the midfield areas of the world and find a creative technical playmaker that is a constant ball winner. People on here are wanting to much. As he was last year with his goals and assists, he will be this year, the difference between us getting there and not. How many of his goals this year have won us the game and as comparison how many assists and goals did LB complete last year. Two different players.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Hey, Dave is the most talented player in our squad, those who bemoan him show a lack of understanding of the game and his game. His ability to place the ball where he wants on the pitch is exquisite and at times he finds himself in a dogfight in the championship. He is a game changer and a game winner and those who criticise him for not getting stuck in should look around the midfield areas of the world and find a creative technical playmaker that is a constant ball winner. People on here are wanting to much. As he was last year with his goals and assists, he will be this year, the difference between us getting there and not. How many of his goals this year have won us the game and as comparison how many assists and goals did LB complete last year. Two different players.

This is your opinion and that is fine. However in my opinion and the opinion of many (I assume) is that he has offered very little this year, far too many games he is innocuous and unfortunately, although technically he probably is within the the top 3 players, he is lightweight and too much of a luxury player. The odd quality goal or quality pass is vastly outweighed by mediocre performances.
To say that that those who don't rate him have a lack of understanding is quite frankly a very ignorant comment. This game is about opinions and we all differ. Personally I don't beleive he is good enough and would pick Solly above him ever day of the week. I will qualify this by saying I haven't seen a better penalty taker and would want no one else taking these but we can't have him on the pitch just in case we get a penalty.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
His ability to place the ball where he wants on the pitch is exquisite and at times he finds himself in a dogfight in the championship. He is a game changer and a game winner and those who criticise him for not getting stuck in should look around the midfield areas of the world and find a creative technical playmaker that is a constant ball winner.

This sums it up for me....

The constant moans of him bottling 50/50 challenges is ludicrous.
Oscar regularly picks Dave, he sees him as having a role within the side.
I seriously doubt that it is for Dave to put himself about and get stuck in son.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
yeah, but when he does what he does he's GREAT

It's a bit like going to see 'The Fall'

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Well that's that. Farewell and the best of luck for the future Dave, brilliant on your day, if not so much this season. Thank-you for some brilliant goals, great assists and of course, a rather amusing thread :clap2:

Spanish Dave.jpg

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Goodbye Dave.

Harshly treated this year IMHO.

Thanks for everything you have done for us.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Cheers, Dave - I'll sing the song I composed for you one more time. TBH it never quite took off, but it was worth a try:
[to the tune of Days by The Kinks
"Thank you for the Dave
He's Spanish Dave
You'll never save
His spot kicks"
Adios, amigo

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Agree

His passing was sublime in the Leicester game, he was played in the wrong way for others and his free kick against Donny was top drawer.

Adios Espana Dave

Just this played in the wrong position this season, when he was played correctly two brilliant assists against Leicester, pushed out of the side by Andrews? Not using Dave showed that OG had bottled out of pressing forward. Never missed a penalty, passed the ball sublimely and the goal that will forever live in our memory against Palace. Good luck Dave sorry to see you go.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I feel that at times DL and AO were receiving criticism generally when the others in midfield were perhaps not pulling their weight. I guess I can't back that up with any stats but I always felt that at different times Andrews, Buckley, JFC and Ince just weren't necessarily on the same wavelength as the two Spanish maestros........just a clash of footballing cultures I think, not that I am directly criticising them, horses for courses.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
lets hope there is no petition to get him back this time

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
lets hope there is no petition to get him back this time

He was played out of position every game bar a 20 minute cameo. He has been lambasted for not being a tackler. When you have Andrews and Ince do you need another one? His best position should have allowed him time to spread passes around the pitch, and not having to be tackling everything that moved. One of my favourite players and will always remember him for that classic freekick against Palace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here