Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Space Shuttle and ISS Visible Overhead This Week

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
The Space Shuttle Discovery will undock from the International Space Station tonight (Tue 8/9/09) between the first and second sighting opportunity from the UK. It should therefore be possible to see them as separate objects, weather permitting, on each pass until Discovery lands in the first few minutes of Friday morning, providing 1 pass Tuesday, 2 passes Wednesday and 1 pass on Thursday - each one lasting between 2-5 minutes.

See http://esa.heavens-above.com/esa/iss_step1_3.asp?CountryID=UK to see what time they will pass your location. On Thurs they should be at their brightest and most visible.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ooh, thanks for the heads up

(do you see what I did there ?)

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Excellent. So at just before 21;45 it should be visable?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
20.11 till 20.13 and 21.44 till 21.45 tonight in Saafwick.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Thats what I thought. Hope it's clear, it looked amazing last time I saw it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Quick, someone tell the UFO-conspiracy-theorists on here. I don't want them getting all in a tizz come Friday morning.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Quick, someone tell the UFO-conspiracy-theorists on here. I don't want them getting all in a tizz come Friday morning.
Absolutely. Don't forget the Space Shuttle is actually faked, the Americans haven't really invented a reusable spacecraft, it was all a ploy by NASA to get money so that they could fund 9/11. So if you see something that the Americans want you to think is the Space Shuttle it must be something else.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
One of the few nights when the sky is clear for these events and well, they could have waved! :wave:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wow, that thing was SHIFTING.
Roll on 21.44, I want ANOTHER look. Should be able to see it a little bit clearer as well now its darker.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Probably a stupid question but do I need a telescope or can I just go stand outside and look in the sky?

No telescope needed. Just look to the south-west at 21.44. Should be visible (and travelling) for about a minute this time.

Its kind of like a shooting star, goes right across the sky. No flashing lights on it though - if you see flashing lights, you're looking at an AIRCRAFT.

Or a traffic light.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Same time according to the chart (give or take a few seconds)

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
oohh I might pop up the DOWNS to watch it now

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Tomorrow will be PRIME TIME

It'll be visible from 20.34 through till 20.38 (or 3 and a half mins to be more exact), travelling from SSW to ESE. Hopefully it'll be clear skies again like tonight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here