Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southwick

Barry M

Jan 21, 2011
I have lived in Southwick my whole life from north of old shoreham road to my current residence on the green. It's a great place to live if you have family as there are 2 great primary schools and an exceptional academy at shoreham now. Also a few boozers, and clubs to join if that's for you. And in the summer you can watch the cricket on the green whilst sipping a beer at the cricks. Also I know a good builder if required. :thumbsup:

Jan 30, 2008
Didn't they use to have a para military force called the southwick soldiers :facepalm:, some nice flats near the train station as well :eek:
regards
DR

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I live in Southwick now after living the majority of my life in Portslade and Hove...streets around the Green are very good and close to he Square which has a good chippie and most of what's needed food wise with a butcher greengrocer sandwich shop and a small Co-op.

You should work for an estate agents
SOUTHWICK an affluent place to live with a decent chippie & greengrocers, you've really sold the place there

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
7 pages of posts about Southwick and no-one has mentioned the stroll over the locks and a bracing walk on the beach followed by breakfast or a coffee at Carats Cafe.

Its part of my routine every time I go down to my Dad's - but sadly soon to be curtailed I fear. He's been moved into a Nursing Home (now there's a subject for discussion!) and sadly will probably stay there. So there may be a house for sale on The Green sooner or later...

I'll miss watching the sun go down over the cricket on the Green.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
You should work for an estate agents
SOUTHWICK an affluent place to live with a decent chippie & greengrocers, you've really sold the place there

I did at one time....but I digress....of course there's more to it than what I posted but a lot of the important stuff had already been posted.....

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
7 pages of posts about Southwick and no-one has mentioned the stroll over the locks and a bracing walk on the beach followed by breakfast or a coffee at Carats Cafe.

Its part of my routine every time I go down to my Dad's - but sadly soon to be curtailed I fear. He's been moved into a Nursing Home (now there's a subject for discussion!) and sadly will probably stay there. So there may be a house for sale on The Green sooner or later...

I'll miss watching the sun go down over the cricket on the Green.

Walk the dog over there most days, 400 yards from our front door. Large bass massacring whitebait in the lock a couple of days ago. Dog eats horrible things on the beach, then I have a coffee at Carats. Shame about the sewage outfall a few hundred yards east - big flounders round there though, no wonder flatfish are called 'bottom feeders' :)

Walk the dog over there most days, 400 yards from our front door. Large bass massacring whitebait in the lock a couple of days ago. Dog eats horrible things on the beach, then I have a coffee at Carats. Shame about the sewage outfall a few hundred yards east - big flounders round there though, no wonder flatfish are called 'bottom feeders' :)

Keeps the temp steady for all year round bathing though,DOG LOVES THE LOW TIDE,PLENTY OF SAND TO CHARGE AROUND ON.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I have lived in Southwick since I was 13, a few more than 30 years :( . Here's my take on it;

Schools: Eastbrook was very good when my children were there, unfortunately the local vicar in the methodist church didn't get on with the schoold head, so she left. The school then merged with Fishersgate. Friends of mine have kids there and they say it has gone down hill big time. Glebe, my two younger brothers went there 30 years ago but nobody I know since, so cannot offer comments. Shoreham Academy, knocked down the old school and built a fantastic new one, it is only a shame that the teachers didn't get knocked down with it. If your children are in the top 10% for their year, they will do marvelously, just hope they aren't further down. They are now an Academy and looking after their own budget, god knows what they will do with it because they have consistently said we have not paid for such and such trips etc. when we have not only email prove from them but they have an online system that shows it! I am a little bitter about the school so others may offer a different opinion.

Area, there are a number of nice roads where you can get 4 bedrooms or enough room to build in loft etc, try Croft Avenue, Oldfield Crescent, St Julians Lane, Park Lane, Roman Crescent or around the Green to name just a few and they are all a couple of minutes walk to the Square. These are the most expensive in the area but there is a reason for that. Do not look south of the station. King Charles II apparently took refuge on a cottage on the Green, if it is good enough for Royals it is good enough for me.

Pubs; My local is The Cricketers, so I may be biased here, it has always been the best and most popular pub around, at least for one reason because it is on the Green. I have been drinking there for 30 years! The Ship, drink there off and on, if you like real ale and old fashioned pubs this may be for you, don't worry about the dirty classes :D. Pebbles on the Port (it's at the Lady Bee Marina in the harbour), live music most Sundays and if you go there on a sunny day it is like being in Spain. Romans, landlord left last Sunday and was/is a jerk. A number of friends go there but I have never liked the atmosphere or the beer (especially the prices) but this may change now he has gone. Schooner, again a number of friends go here although I haven't for a long time but here it is on the up. The Royal George, technically Shoreham but just don't eat there, enough said! Shoreham is one stop on the train or around £7 taxi with many many pub's and I don't know if it still is but had the most pubs for the population of the town in all of Britain (used to be 32 I think), a few have shut so not sure if it still is but trust there are a lot!

Area, all the shops you could need in the Square plus Marks, Tesco's and Next on your doorstep. Four or five stops on the train and your in Brighton for shopping etc. Football, no problem, mid-week games, stay till the end have another beer, stroll to the station and home before 11pm.

Ignore Nibble :thumbsup:

Any more info, let me know.

Pretty good asses

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Hampton as in Court?

I lived there for a year as a student and it was a terrible mistake - a truly drab and dreary suburbia of the like you seem so opposed to.

Aye, you won't get any argument from me there. You can only walk along a river bank so many times. However, it's close to London which is where I need to be atm.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I live in Southwick, and as it happens I live next door to Glebe. Me and the better half moved here about 2 years ago and have no complaints :) Not the most detailed response but their isn't too much to report, if you want to live somewhere busy live in Brighton, if you prefer the slightly quieter life you can't go wrong.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003

Dont forget surfing off the hotpipes.

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
Have lived in Southwick for the last 20 years and no complaints. Good transport links with Brighton & London (although the later trains don't stop here), historically very good schools and pubs okay, close to Beach, Downs and apparently largest number of Albion season ticket holders outside Brighton & Hove. Must have been at least 100 got off my train last Tuesday night.

wigangull

Jul 19, 2013
Wigan Lancs
Was born and bred in Southwick,lived The Gardens until i was 26.I now live in Lancashire and miss the the place like crazy.Back in the 50's along the Twitten used to be my old infants school/junior school.Anyone remember RAF air crash near Southwick FC?
As has already been said a great place to bring up kids,green places,sea places all the things i miss and used to take for granted.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
Thanks for nudging the old grey matter. I remember Miss Peck (ruled her domain quietly but firmly with a fist of iron, or so it seemed to this sprog at that time) - but had forgotten about Morag!

My teacher was the delightful Miss Weatherley. Blimey what innocent days, if only they could see me now.......it all went wrong after that.

I remember the school having an open air swimming pool which seemed really exotic back then - but also it was chuffing freezing! I wonder if the little dears have the benefit of an indoor pool these days?

Miss Weatherley..... now my fav ever teacher at Flora McDonald in dear old LA was called that.. I wonder what era you are talking about? abt 1980 for me.. wonder if it was the same person.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here