Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Southgate

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I am still #teamsouthgate

No change of manager required

Certainly not team Southgate, whose a decent enough bloke but tactically inept imho and often just pics favourites despite form.

That said, as a proud Englishman, I'd sooner Southgate stays if losing him meant losing Potter at this juncture. If it was guaranteed FA would look elsewhere I'd gladly see the Palace stooge get his P45.

Wonder if Smug could be tempted away from Chop Chop United.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Certainly not team Southgate, whose a decent enough bloke but tactically inept imho and often just pics favourites despite form.

That said, as a proud Englishman, I'd sooner Southgate stays if losing him meant losing Potter at this juncture. If it was guaranteed FA would look elsewhere I'd gladly see the Palace stooge get his P45.

Wonder if Smug could be tempted away from Chop Chop United.

If Potter wasn’t potentially in the frame I’d be SCREAMING for him to get the boot

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
And he brings on an out of form defender at 3-0 down, which is just plain weird :shrug:

Carry on Gareth, I hope we’ll have a great World Cup (I am being serious, the better he does the less chance of our manager being approached) :thumbsup:

Does anyone else scratch their head as to why Phillips is so highly rated?

If it is accurate that Pep is after him for Citeh I can only assume he has a lot of untapped potential. Currently, he doesn't look remotely in the same class as Rice (or Bissouma). His role under Bielsa was to patrol in front of the back 4 and kick anyone that came close wearing an opposition shirt.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
I think there is some truth in assertion that Southgate is limited tactically however, when he tries to go a bit more attacking we look vulnerable because (despite some saying this is the best crop of players we've had) defensively it really isn't. Our current back 4 isn't anywhere near; Neville - Ferdinand - Terry - Cole, and there in lies the problem. We have the best set of forward players we've probably ever had in terms of depth but Southgate has rightly identified that he needs to help the back 4 hence it looks cautious, therefore IMHO he's probably overachieved and deserves a shot at the World Cup where I think he will do well.

The game v Hungry was a freak football occasion like Chelsea losing 2-5 to WBA or Liverpool losing 3-0 to Watford on their way to winning the league. A bunch of players not really suited to or used to playing together played Ok but came unstuck (Southgate admitted his mistake in selection) he also mucked out with tactics over the 4 games as well as changes, these were friendlies to him clearly.

As for Potter as England coach, I disagree with the idea he isn't suited to the job. I think he's EXACTLY the kind of football brain and person to adapt to the challenge, he'd find a way to get the best results because thats what he does. I don't want him as England coach of course but he'd be excellent.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Looking at the PP odds for next England manager and Smug is the current favourite with Potter lurking around the 8-1 mark,you could get 50s on Michael Owen as he's definitely not signing for Brighton now,the one name that stands out @50s the same as Owen is David Moyes,I've no idea why he's such a long shot but it would not suprise me at all to see him get the gig.

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
Looking at the PP odds for next England manager and Smug is the current favourite with Potter lurking around the 8-1 mark,you could get 50s on Michael Owen as he's definitely not signing for Brighton now,the one name that stands out @50s the same as Owen is David Moyes,I've no idea why he's such a long shot but it would not suprise me at all to see him get the gig.

I don’t think England would employ a Scottish coach.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here