Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Southern Water - massively reduced bill

KLF

Albion Boleh!
Oct 27, 2004
Living next door to Gully
Just received my latest water bill from Southern Water which has reduced from £850 to £239 in one year. Obviously great news, but it got me thinking… last year they worked on the pipe work and meter to my house. We’ve not done anything different so it does seem like whatever they’ve done has fixed some kind of leak from our meter. The prior years were also higher but not as much as last year. Question is how do I go about proving we have been paying for water that we haven’t been using? Anyone else had a similar experience?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Just received my latest water bill from Southern Water which has reduced from £850 to £239 in one year. Obviously great news, but it got me thinking… last year they worked on the pipe work and meter to my house. We’ve not done anything different so it does seem like whatever they’ve done has fixed some kind of leak from our meter. The prior years were also higher but not as much as last year. Question is how do I go about proving we have been paying for water that we haven’t been using? Anyone else had a similar experience?
That seems very low to me for a 6 or 12 month bill to a house. I live in Wiltshire (not a perfect comparison!) and we pay closer to your 800.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
if the leak was between the meter and your house, then I am afraid its your responsibility, just like with gas. Unless it was leaking at the meter then its down to you. If you think the leak was at the meter, then you can contact them and querry it. They may look at pre and post work and agree a rebate based on the difference

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just received my latest water bill from Southern Water which has reduced from £850 to £239 in one year. Obviously great news, but it got me thinking… last year they worked on the pipe work and meter to my house. We’ve not done anything different so it does seem like whatever they’ve done has fixed some kind of leak from our meter.

My meter says that in the 5 months from March to August, we used 540,000 litres of water :ROFLMAO:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
if the leak was between the meter and your house, then I am afraid its your responsibility, just like with gas. Unless it was leaking at the meter then its down to you.

It needs to be on your land for it to be down to you. So if it's between the meter and your land, then it's them. And if it's down to you, you pay to fix it, but they make an allowance for the water usage.

KLF

Albion Boleh!
Oct 27, 2004
I agree it does seem low now, but it’s based on actual readings right? They came to work on the meter (not my land) so repair wasn’t my responsibility as far as I am aware. Since then my usage has plummeted. Are they likely to accept last years bill was high due to them?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I agree it does seem low now, but it’s based on actual readings right? They came to work on the meter (not my land) so repair wasn’t my responsibility as far as I am aware. Since then my usage has plummeted. Are they likely to accept last years bill was high due to them?
Talk to them

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Thanks for your words of wisdom. Nice in theory but almost impossible in reality having tried recently. However, yes of course that’s the aim, just wondered if anyone had had similar experiences and what the outcome was, that is all.
Only issue we had recently was with Affinity Water.
Got up one morning and found the cold water was light yellow, phoned them and they said run water for 10 mins, roughly about 1000 ltrs.
Did this, cleared the yellow stuff and got a waste water credit.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003

Depends how many in your family, how much water you use etc. We're in Thames Water, there's two of us here, all appliances use eco washes, two showers and maybe a bath a day. Water the garden with a sprinkler if there's a couple of weeks without rain. Ours is £30 a month and I'm still in credit.

As to your proving the last year was because of a leak outside your responsibility, the best thing to do is phone/email them with your evidence and they usually offer some kind of resolution/refund.

If that doesn't work I'm there's an independent regulator that can adjudicate on a dispute. Just depends on how much time you want to invest.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Talk to them
This 100%. We had a similar problem. We were using "allegedly" as much water as 9 flats which is just ludicrous. It was a leak on
our property. But talk to them - in a nice way (don't get shirty even though I know that's hard) and you'll be amazed what they can do.
We had the leak fixed for free and a refund. Took a few months mind.

Reactions: KLF

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
We had a bit of a scare a few years ago (wife misread the meter!), but ever since I’ve recorded monthly readings in a simple spreadsheet.

It shows our daily usage trending downwards (we’ve been careful since), and I can quickly spot any anomalies.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
£800? That's insane, are they making the water or something? We pay £24.65 a month - just under £300 for the year.

Not metered though.

KLF

Albion Boleh!
Oct 27, 2004
This 100%. We had a similar problem. We were using "allegedly" as much water as 9 flats which is just ludicrous. It was a leak on
our property. But talk to them - in a nice way (don't get shirty even though I know that's hard) and you'll be amazed what they can do.
We had the leak fixed for free and a refund. Took a few months mind.
Thanks, will give it a go.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Might be a ballsache but worth persevering to talk to them. We went on holiday a few years ago and came back to find our en suite shower was in full flow and couldn't be turned of!! Turned out the valves had failed and dropped down in the unit in the loft. Explained to South East water and they gave us a credit (and also got a credit from Southern Water who deal with the drains).

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Thanks for your words of wisdom. Nice in theory but almost impossible in reality having tried recently. However, yes of course that’s the aim, just wondered if anyone had had similar experiences and what the outcome was, that is all.
I wasn't meaning to sound like a smart arse, sorry.

Reactions: KLF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here