Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern railway train service tonight

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sorry I've allowed 30 mins to go about 5 miles and it took over an hour and you are saying it's my fault. Have I got that right?

Let's look at that.

It's a football match, at a location on the edge of town, with 28,000 people attending (twenty eight thousand, to be clear), all trying to get to the same place at once. It's not your FAULT, as such, as the trains were a bit bollocksed tonight. But sometimes that kind of shit happens, and perhaps allowing a little extra time might have been wiser in the circumstances.

I've never once left as late as half an hour before kick off to get from the city centre to the Amex.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sorry I've allowed 30 mins to go about 5 miles and it took over an hour and you are saying it's my fault. Have I got that right?

Well, there were several thousand people all wanting to make the same journey at the same time. Were you expecting to stroll onto an empty platform ?

The amount of time it took WAS ridiculous by normal standards this time, but you were still cutting it fine regardless and would have done well to make kickoff even under normal matchday circumstances. This IS Southern we're dealing with.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Forget about the subsidised train crap and pay for Seagulls Travel instead. No queuing there or back.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Six hours to watch 51 minutes of football. It is only 12 miles each way.

5 miles and I would cycle even though the route is awful.

Last edited:

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Well, there were several thousand people all wanting to make the same journey at the same time. Were you expecting to stroll onto an empty platform ?

The amount of time it took WAS ridiculous by normal standards this time, but you were still cutting it fine regardless and would have done well to make kickoff even under normal matchday circumstances. This IS Southern we're dealing with.

'Would have done well to make Ko'. Come on. We have done this journey a few times and never come across this before and the fact that the club put out a statement sort of apologizing for the FU would make me think that maybe I am not totally to blame. 'even under normal matchday circumstances' we have done the same trip for the last 3 seasons and only once came across such a FU and it was well documented on here. No I'm sorry this was not my fault.

Boston28

Feb 7, 2014
Racecourse park and ride ran like a dream like it pretty much does every game. Sometimes it takes 10 minutes longer on the way to the ground if the traffic isn't clearing quickly but that's as bad as it gets. I strongly recommend it

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
'Would have done well to make Ko'. Come on. We have done this journey a few times and never come across this before and the fact that the club put out a statement sort of apologizing for the FU would make me think that maybe I am not totally to blame. 'even under normal matchday circumstances' we have done the same trip for the last 3 seasons and only once came across such a FU and it was well documented on here. No I'm sorry this was not my fault.

Fair enough if you've made it every time previously. But if you're going to leave it till the last possible minute to get a train from Brighton station every time (and 30 minutes is pretty tight, given the matchday queues), then sooner or later you're gonna come a cropper. Because you are actually relying on Southern (SOUTHERN!!) running like clockwork.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Let's look at that.

It's a football match, at a location on the edge of town, with 28,000 people attending (twenty eight thousand, to be clear), all trying to get to the same place at once. It's not your FAULT, as such, as the trains were a bit bollocksed tonight. But sometimes that kind of shit happens, and perhaps allowing a little extra time might have been wiser in the circumstances.

I've never once left as late as half an hour before kick off to get from the city centre to the Amex.

You are right, we all know that Southern can't cope with evening games and so people who imagine that they will get to the AMEX from Brighton in 30 mins are in dreamland.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
No, half hour before kick off should be enough time. The trains did screw up. It wasn't normal for a 28k crowd to have about 3k not in the ground at kick off.

Um. When my WSU neighbour arrived fifteen mins in due to same reasons no one around had notice massive gaps.

Granted the scenario was less than ideal but it didn't seem empty before kick off

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Sounds like the trains were shocking (no surprise) but I'm in the 7.15 is far too dodgy camp. I've always aimed to be at the station an hour before kick-off just in case - then get a pint at the ground, not a big deal. But then I hate getting into grounds last minute anyway - maybe just a habit developed from the days when you always needed to get there with a bit of time to spare to bag a good spot. Going to football was never just a 90 minute thing.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I think getting to the station at 7.15 is cutting it very fine.

Getting to the Amex 10 minutes before half time is obviously shitness of the highest order on behalf of Southern, but then I've come to expect that, and so would never, ever trust them to get me from Brighton station to Falmer inside 30 minutes on a match day.

This. especially on an evening game - where the trains are always (repeat ALWAYS) complete crap. got on the 6.38pm train having waited for 20 minutes or more. the next one at 6.59pm had been cancelled due to staff shortages.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Um. When my WSU neighbour arrived fifteen mins in due to same reasons no one around had notice massive gaps.

Granted the scenario was less than ideal but it didn't seem empty before kick off

It seemed pretty random TBF. There were masses of empty seats round me at the back of the WSU at kick off. The people in front of me are always there first but they got there 10 mins after kick off this time. My mate who's always fashionably late was again. It didn't really fill up til 25 mins. I think the players were waiting until everyone got in to start!

WSU

Jan 17, 2012
Exactly this. I think you do need to build a bit of trainshittery into your travel time, as 7:15 doesn't leave a lot of margin for error if it's One Of Those Days on the railways.

Superb!! My mission for today will be to get 'trainshittery' into at least 5 conversations!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Surprised anyone leaves it that late to make the trip.........got to leave some sort of contingency, particularly on evening games when the trains are so susceptible to the slightest issue causing knock-on trainshittery. I'm usually in the ground an hour before KO when I can be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

You didn't learn from the first time then?

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
I always leave Brighton station at least an hour before kickoff, leaving half an hour is madness especially for a night game when there are less carriages. Additionally we were playing a London team who would bring 2000+ supporters mostly who would travel by train and being a Friday night with the Albion playing well most season ticket holders would have turned up as well so it was always going to busy even before any train cancellations.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
I left my office in Guildford at 5:00 to pick up sister at Hickstead as always. M25 bolloxed and estimated arrival time at Hickstead creeping towards 7:00 (2 bloody hours!!) thought I would go A281 towards Horsham and managed 5 miles in 90 minutes!!!! This country can't run a road or rail network if it rains!!! Actually Southern can't run a rail network full stop. Got back to home at 7:30 and watched twitter. Last time it was sh!t for a night game we did QPR last season and I missed it so hoping for the same again on Tuesday :)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Got in the queue which was down to budgens at 6.50, got to my seat in the 37th minute.

The police were shocking and handled the situation very poorly. Good statement from club, can't understand how they did not know given the 30 or so police that would have seen the queue, the problems, trains being cancelled yet didn't think to pass the message on.

To make it worse, some of the BTP numpties decided to tell everyone kick off HAD been put back to 8, so you can imagine the atmosphere and reaction when it kicked off at 7.45.

Hopefully we get a good explanation from the Sussex football liaison chap

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here