Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
So I have a question. When I go to open my shop in Brighton I find a homeless person camped in front most mornings. They stink, leave an absolute mess, use shop entrances as toilets, refuse to move and swear at me because I've a business to run.
What would you do? And if you say 'ask them to leave nicely' what would you do on day 2 or 3 or 4 or a week later when once again you have to wash down the shop front.
Well?
Pipe classical music at them. A bit of Shostakovich's 9th always worked when I lived in Liverpool and the local teenagers would hang around on the street corner near my house.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So I have a question. When I go to open my shop in Brighton I find a homeless person camped in front most mornings. They stink, leave an absolute mess, use shop entrances as toilets, refuse to move and swear at me because I've a business to run.
What would you do? And if you say 'ask them to leave nicely' what would you do on day 2 or 3 or 4 or a week later when once again you have to wash down the shop front.
Well?

As others have said, try and help them? Either directly, or by contacting the authorities (not the police, by the sounds of it, but SOMEONE must be able to do SOMETHING to help them?)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When I was a steward at Withdean it was in my job descripton to get people to sit down. I assume you'd have been happy if I'd thrown dirty water over you if you stood up ?

Stupid comparison.

Rough sleepers do not have a right, God-given, legal or whatever, to dump themselves down where they like and obstruct people from doing their job. End of. Now I'm not going to waste any more time arguing the toss with people who - unless they are complete hypocrites - would be quite happy to welcome any homeless person shitting on their doorstep.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Well?

Agree with you 100%. Ask them once to move, if they don't and they're in the way, just carry on with your shopfront washing. Well done Southern.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Stupid comparison.

Rough sleepers do not have a right, God-given, legal or whatever, to dump themselves down where they like and obstruct people from doing their job. End of. Now I'm not going to waste any more time arguing the toss with people who - unless they are complete hypocrites - would be quite happy to welcome any homeless person shitting on their doorstep.

That's quite an assumption.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Stupid comparison.

Not one person has claimed these people have a God-given or legal right to be where they are. People are not affronted by any suggestion that Southern Rail, or their staff, ask these people to move on. But with the inhumane treatment of them, that you not only seem to be fine with, but you seem to believe these members of staff would have a legal justification in committing assault against these people based on a job description about keeping the station (and walkways around it) clean and clear.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Jesus christ some people on this thread need to give their head a wobble

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
But a railway station isn't a public place in the same way that a street is. He is not a rail user, so has no business there, and if he has refused to move on when asked to do so he can have no complaint. And the staff have a duty to keep the station clear, and they have duties clean it too. In the unlikely event of being sacked, they would have a cast iron case for unfair dismissal.

Assault of a member of the public is a fair reason to have your employment terminated.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Call the police.

Gotta laugh. Assume this is a parody reply.

So you go to the bottom of the non-emergency list and if you’re lucky a PCSO wanders by in the afternoon and politely asks the smackheads (they know on first name terms - “social policing”) to move on.

How much will that cost the business owner in lost revenue?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Bring them a cup of tea, maybe a bacon roll or something. Treat them with kindness and respect so that they don't see you as some nameless representation of the rich who think they are better than them because life hasn't kicked you in the balls yet, and then perhaps they'd treat your shopfront with respect and not use it as toilet, thus not needing to have it washed down every few days or a week later (though really, if you're only needing to was it once a week, that seems pretty standard).

If you give a stray dog a biscuit it will remember you and expect a biscuit every time you see it.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
When I was a steward at Withdean it was in my job descripton to get people to sit down. I assume you'd have been happy if I'd thrown dirty water over you if you stood up ?

There is a reason nobody liked this analogy. It is stupid.

People had paid £20 to be at Withdean. They weren’t sat drug addled and/or drunk refusing point blank to move in a public space.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

People had paid £20 to be at Withdean. They weren’t sat drug addled and/or drunk refusing point blank to move in a public space.

Not sure you’re right on the ‘being sat drunk/drug-addled’ bit......[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Not sure you’re right on the ‘being sat drunk/drug-addled’ bit......[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I suppose we had to be to pay £300+ for a season ticket at an athletics track, in a stand with no roof watching us struggle in League 1.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Gotta laugh. Assume this is a parody reply.

So you go to the bottom of the non-emergency list and if you’re lucky a PCSO wanders by in the afternoon and politely asks the smackheads (they know on first name terms - “social policing”) to move on.

How much will that cost the business owner in lost revenue?

If you give a stray dog a biscuit it will remember you and expect a biscuit every time you see it.

All homeless people are smackheads and less than human, eh?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

Speak for yourself denton. Drug addled and drunk was the //only// way i could get through to 5pm most saturdays at withdean! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here