Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I find it extremely worrying that there is a virus or bacteria that has evolved to afflict only Southern train crew.

Or could it be that they just a bunch of overpaid, lazy, skiving four letter chappies?
Neither.

Southern has banned overtime in order to hit striking staff in the pocket - but unfortunately overtime is crucial for the full timetable to run.

Yoda

English & European
I find it extremely worrying that there is a virus or bacteria that has evolved to afflict only Southern train crew.

Or could it be that they just a bunch of overpaid, lazy, skiving four letter chappies?

Neither. SASTA are not paying them overtime for working rest days, so they are rightly working to rule and not working them and in the process highlighting how incompetent SATSA management really are by relying on them due to not employing enough staff to keep their services running.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Neither.

Southern has banned overtime in order to hit striking staff in the pocket - but unfortunately overtime is crucial for the full timetable to run.
The farce there is that virtually everyone knows the actual reason and Southern know that everyone knows, yet they still have to persist with this pathetic 'sickness' lie in what i can only presume is a PR move to make them look less to blame for the whole mess.

Meanwhile, the most important people in all of this (their customers) get screwed left, right and centre and presumably will continue to do so ad infinitum.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The farce there is that virtually everyone knows the actual reason and Southern know that everyone knows, yet they still have to persist with this pathetic 'sickness' lie in what i can only presume is a PR move to make them look less to blame for the whole mess.

Meanwhile, the most important people in all of this (their customers) get screwed left, right and centre and presumably will continue to do so ad infinitum.

Unfortunately that is right, most of the people who were sick are back but no overtime is being worked so it shows how short they are of staff

albionite

May 20, 2009
Don't worry the virus will spread to drivers in coming weeks as they stop working their rest days as well.

33% of trains run on staff overtime.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Don't worry the virus will spread to drivers in coming weeks as they stop working their rest days as well.

33% of trains run on staff overtime.

really? that implies a lot of drivers earning a lot of overtime, how long are they going to take the hit on their pockets?

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Unfortunately that is right, most of the people who were sick are back but no overtime is being worked so it shows how short they are of staff

Coincidently, 'Investing in Staff' is at the very end of GTR's strategy presentation, and merits a scant three bullet points:

http://www.londontravelwatch.org.uk/documents/get_lob?id=3865&age=&field=file

Employees need to feel valued. GTR tries to talk the talk, but walking the walk is another matter entirely (more a case of fail the rail).

And I didn't notice the supposed free wi-fi on the new GX yesterday. I hope this isn't another broken promise,

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I expect they will be having a similar piss up on Southern soon

TUBE UNION RMT today slammed the “disgusting and obscene spectacle” of nearly 50 senior TFL managers decked out in black-tie regalia at Mayfair’s luxury RAF Club as they celebrated the completion of a massive cuts programme that axes 800 safety-critical station staff and trashes 289 tube ticket offices.

In a gloating bulletin circulated to staff the management report the following:

“FftFS Team Celebrate Successful Completion

Almost 50 people from the FftFS (Fit for the Future Stations) team spent an enjoyable evening in the luxurious setting of the RAF Club in Piccadilly as they celebrated the successful completion of the main ticket office closure programme.
All 289 ticket offices were closed, within budget, in an immense team effort throughout 2015.

Mike Bracken, Head of Fit for the Future Delivery Team, spoke of the dedication and commitment of the team and congratulated everyone for their achievement.

“The team enjoyed a three course meal in a private dining room at the RAF Club and a good time was had by all.””

RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said

“It is frankly obscene that nearly 50 senior TFL managers treated themselves to a slap-up beano at the luxury RAF Club in the heart of the West End to celebrate the axing of 800 safety-critical jobs and the smashing up of London's tube ticket offices. The union is demanding to know whether some of all of the cost of this disgusting spectacle was funded by the taxpayer.

“While TFL is talking about further cuts of over £2 billion that would devastate safety and services it is a massive kick in the teeth for the staff across the combine to receive bulletins from the management gloating about their axe-swinging antics. RMT members are furious that while they are being stretched to breaking point the top brass are out on a jolly in a luxury, private members club in Mayfair.”

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I expect they will be having a similar piss up on Southern soon

TUBE UNION RMT today slammed the “disgusting and obscene spectacle” of nearly 50 senior TFL managers decked out in black-tie regalia at Mayfair’s luxury RAF Club as they celebrated the completion of a massive cuts programme that axes 800 safety-critical station staff and trashes 289 tube ticket offices.

In a gloating bulletin circulated to staff the management report the following:

“FftFS Team Celebrate Successful Completion

Almost 50 people from the FftFS (Fit for the Future Stations) team spent an enjoyable evening in the luxurious setting of the RAF Club in Piccadilly as they celebrated the successful completion of the main ticket office closure programme.
All 289 ticket offices were closed, within budget, in an immense team effort throughout 2015.

Mike Bracken, Head of Fit for the Future Delivery Team, spoke of the dedication and commitment of the team and congratulated everyone for their achievement.

“The team enjoyed a three course meal in a private dining room at the RAF Club and a good time was had by all.””

RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said

“It is frankly obscene that nearly 50 senior TFL managers treated themselves to a slap-up beano at the luxury RAF Club in the heart of the West End to celebrate the axing of 800 safety-critical jobs and the smashing up of London's tube ticket offices. The union is demanding to know whether some of all of the cost of this disgusting spectacle was funded by the taxpayer.

“While TFL is talking about further cuts of over £2 billion that would devastate safety and services it is a massive kick in the teeth for the staff across the combine to receive bulletins from the management gloating about their axe-swinging antics. RMT members are furious that while they are being stretched to breaking point the top brass are out on a jolly in a luxury, private members club in Mayfair.”

There's at least two glaring errors in that copy. Just who do these jokers employ to do this stuff?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Could be further trouble for thisose wanting to use the Coastway tonight. There's been a suicide at East Worthing station.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Could be further trouble for thisose wanting to use the Coastway tonight. There's been a suicide at East Worthing station.

Luckily there will be a guard on that service to help deal with the incident, assist what will be a traumatised driver and keep the passengers as informed as possible. Once Southern get their way the only trained person on that train will be the driver who frankly will be too busy and probably upset to deal with helping the passengers although he/she will do their best.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
1 hour 35 minutes late for work yesterday thanks to Southern.

Whilst it isn't their fault if I'm late today why does the Southern Website still say the train I need will be running on time when it's looking highly unlikely that will be the case? Do I take from the fact its supposed to be on time that the problem at East Worthing has been cleared and trains are now running normally? Or have they just not bothered updating their site.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Do I take from the fact its supposed to be on time that the problem at East Worthing has been cleared and trains are now running normally? Or have they just not bothered updating their site.

I'm at Brighton station and they've just announced replacement buses on West Coastway until further notice, if that helps.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
http://www.railmagazine.com/news/ne...n-issues-prompt-gtr-remedial-plan/image/13978

Makes me laugh when they say inherited driver problem when southern and gtr are the same company. More down to they didn't think they was going to win this franchise and let the staff levels go down.

Southern as an organisation have been running the show since 2003, I have my letter from 2005 congratulating me on my 25 years of service SINGED by Charles Horton. They can't blame anyone as the same managers etc been around more than 10 years now

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Southern as an organisation have been running the show since 2003, I have my letter from 2005 congratulating me on my 25 years of service SINGED by Charles Horton. They can't blame anyone as the same managers etc been around more than 10 years now

I got the option of a weeks extra leave or some crap gift when I reached 30 years service

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here