Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Interesting claim from Stephen Lloyd (former Eastbourne MP) :

https://www.facebook.com/StephenLloydEBN/

The Evening Standard is backing that claim.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...aff-when-workers-were-available-a3417226.html

Southern Rail has been accused of cancelling trains and blaming industrial action even though drivers and other crew members were available.

Services from the beleaguered operator are being disrupted because of a ban on overtime by the drivers' union Aslef.

The company will go to the Court of Appeal on Monday in a bid to stop strikes by drivers next week and in the new year which will halt all Southern services.

Union officials claimed that a number of trains from Eastbourne in Sussex were cancelled on Saturday morning even though drivers were available. "There is a crew room full of frustrated drivers and guards who are puzzled as to why the company would create this disruption and blame it on us," a source said."

albionite

May 20, 2009

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...aff-when-workers-were-available-a3417226.html

Southern Rail has been accused of cancelling trains and blaming industrial action even though drivers and other crew members were available.

Services from the beleaguered operator are being disrupted because of a ban on overtime by the drivers' union Aslef.

The company will go to the Court of Appeal on Monday in a bid to stop strikes by drivers next week and in the new year which will halt all Southern services.

Union officials claimed that a number of trains from Eastbourne in Sussex were cancelled on Saturday morning even though drivers were available. "There is a crew room full of frustrated drivers and guards who are puzzled as to why the company would create this disruption and blame it on us," a source said."

The evidence is being collected but it's nothing new they have been doing this for months. No dirty trick they won't try

Jul 7, 2003
There had better be Eastbourne to Victoria trains tomorrow - it is Plumpton races and I need to get home after racing!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Thought that was common knowledge, you have to feel sorry for some of the junior managers just given the orders whether they agree or not

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thought that was common knowledge, you have to feel sorry for some of the junior managers just given the orders whether they agree or not

IT is for those who've been keeping an eye on things, but there are those who still believe it's a strike about guards keeping their jobs.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I see all the Gatwick Expresses seem to be cancelled this morning. Although they don't even show up online as cancelled, they're simply not there.

Ho-hum, another few WFH days then. Glad I have such an understanding boss though.

trains.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I see all the Gatwick Expresses seem to be cancelled this morning. Although they don't even show up online as cancelled, they're simply not there.

Ho-hum, another few WFH days then. Glad I have such an understanding boss though.

View attachment 80129

I thought the Gatwick Express trains have reverted to not running South past Gatwick for the duration on the ASLEF driver's overtime ban.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I thought the Gatwick Express trains have reverted to not running South past Gatwick for the duration on the ASLEF driver's overtime ban.

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant. I see they are still running between Gatwick and London, but that's no use to commuters south of Gatwick.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

View attachment 80129

What a crock of Sh.... Cancelled all the main line trains to London 6.30 ..6.40 vic and 6.37 LB said it was scheduling as part of new emergency timetable.. Whoever did that sitting in their comfy office at Southern , just shows that they have utter contempt for passengers .

I predict a Riot !! I predict a Riot !!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
When is the appeal in the high court by Govia, must be some time today surely ?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
RMT calls for ORR investigation into Southern sabotage of rail services.
RAIL UNION RMT will today write to the Office of Road and Rail demanding an urgent investigation after it emerged that Southern Rail cancelled up to 90% of its services from the south coast over the weekend due to "staff shortages" when in fact there were train crew in the depots ready to work and awaiting instructions.

RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said;

"Southern have moved from a position peddling lies to one of deliberate sabotage of services just to give them another excuse to stick the boot into their own staff. That is a disgraceful and cynical development that proves that the company could not give two hoots about the travelling public, running a safe and reliable rail service or resolving the current dispute.

"Throughout the past year the Office of Road and Rail, supposedly an independent regulator, have either sat on their hands or sided with Southern Rail. It is now time for the ORR to get off their backsides and thoroughly investigate this scandal on Britain's biggest rail franchise."

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
RAIL UNION RMT will today write to the Office of Road and Rail demanding an urgent investigation after it emerged that Southern Rail cancelled up to 90% of its services from the south coast over the weekend due to "staff shortages" when in fact there were train crew in the depots ready to work and awaiting instructions.

"Southern have moved from a position peddling lies to one of deliberate sabotage of services just to give them another excuse to stick the boot into their own staff. That is a disgraceful and cynical development that proves that the company could not give two hoots about the travelling public, running a safe and reliable rail service or resolving the current dispute.

"Throughout the past year the Office of Road and Rail, supposedly an independent regulator, have either sat on their hands or sided with Southern Rail. It is now time for the ORR to get off their backsides and thoroughly investigate this scandal on Britain's biggest rail franchise."

**** me I've heard it all now. Mick Cash saying that "deliberate sabotage of services" is "disgraceful and cynical". What a complete and utter :tosser:

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
What a crock of Sh.... Cancelled all the main line trains to London 6.30 ..6.40 vic and 6.37 LB said it was scheduling as part of new emergency timetable.. Whoever did that sitting in their comfy office at Southern , just shows that they have utter contempt for passengers .

I predict a Riot !! I predict a Riot !!

They've removed the 7:04 Uckfield to LB from the timetable which is by far the busiest train on the way up. A lot of people from Crowborough are riding the 7:11 down to Uckfield to ensure they get a seat coming back up.

This really is getting beyond a joke now.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There appear to be no direct trains from London Bridge to Littlehampton via Hove going home anymore. They've all disappeared on national rail enquiries. Is this the new norm?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

You couldn't make it up.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here