Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
you are being STUPID of course they have support from the public. everyone hates SASTA so they support the union in their FIGHT.

What the guards and Drivers are too ignorant to understand is that they themselves are SASTA, they are viewed as and are part of the organisation and therefore a huge part of the problem. Personally I'd like to see the whole lot sacked from CEO to guards. Start over with some competent people who are willing to actually work.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Stupid idiot of the day award winner . No clue at all about the dispute.

Second point you make is equally STUPID
When everyone loses their jobs through computers and automaton like Mark Carney said earlier this week what work or jobs will there be ?

Sorry, but your views on this matter are unfortunately negated as you cannot be objective.

I do understand the dispute, you have bleated on about it for months. Yes, yes, we know you think trains without guards spells disaster. It doesn't for hundreds of rail companies across Europe and it on't in the SE.

Automation will happen to many industries. Your industry wastes vast amounts of money, staff are generally moody and useless. I am sorry you lot will lose your jobs but frankly, over the past 2 years you've proven to be quite shit at them anyway.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Sorry, but your views on this matter are unfortunately negated as you cannot be objective.

I do understand the dispute, you have bleated on about it for months. Yes, yes, we know you think trains without guards spells disaster. It doesn't for hundreds of rail companies across Europe and it on't in the SE.

Automation will happen to many industries. Your industry wastes vast amounts of money, staff are generally moody and useless. I am sorry you lot will lose your jobs but frankly, over the past 2 years you've proven to be quite shit at them anyway.

Shame you can't be SACKED from whatever you do for being a STUPID idiot

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Shame you can't be SACKED from whatever you do for being a STUPID idiot

Shame indeed. However I turn up and do my work without deliberately wrecking the lives of others so unlikely to get binned. Don't take it personally, you lost the public sympathy vote when you decided that because your livelihoods are being threatened you decided to **** everyone else's up too. Nobody likes that I'm afraid and you lost the public when you announced this latest round of strikes. Utterly cretinous to push your luck like that.

Luckily I rarely have to resort to the shambles that is rail travel but once a week is enough to make me realise how utterly shit your company is from top CEO to Guards. You must have got the message by now? The shit company you work for is going to get rid of guards. Simple.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Shame indeed. However I turn up and do my work without deliberately wrecking the lives of others so unlikely to get binned. Don't take it personally, you lost the public sympathy vote when you decided that because your livelihoods are being threatened you decided to **** everyone else's up too. Nobody likes that I'm afraid and you lost the public when you announced this latest round of strikes. Utterly cretinous to push your luck like that.

Luckily I rarely have to resort to the shambles that is rail travel but once a week is enough to make me realise how utterly shit your company is from top CEO to Guards. You must have got the message by now? The shit company you work for is going to get rid of guards. Simple.

It shows what a STUPID idiot you are as I'm NOT a MEMBER of any union nor am I on STRIKE

Yoda

English & European
What the guards and Drivers are too ignorant to understand is that they themselves are SASTA, they are viewed as and are part of the organisation and therefore a huge part of the problem. Personally I'd like to see the whole lot sacked from CEO to guards. Start over with some competent people who are willing to actually work.

So you'd be happy to have no rail network for however many months (possibly years) it takes to train everyone to have a fully functioning rail network again?

That really helps us that rely on the trains.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It shows what a STUPID idiot you are as I'm NOT a MEMBER of any union nor am I on STRIKE

good for you. tell the numpties that are to get on with their jobs please, it's embarrassing now.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So you'd be happy to have no rail network for however many months (possibly years) it takes to train everyone to have a fully functioning rail network again?

That really helps us that rely on the trains.

Just hand the whole thing over to a decent company that can run the rails. Not that hard to train somebody to stroll up and down the aisles in an ill fitting uniform and undone shoelaces occasionally mispronouncing rail station names in an unintelligible Nigerian accent?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Just hand the whole thing over to a decent company that can run the rails. Not that hard to train somebody to stroll up and down the aisles in an ill fitting uniform and undone shoelaces occasionally mispronouncing rail station names in an unintelligible Nigerian accent?

And performing an important safety role.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Mick Whelan, general secretary of ASLEF, the train drivers' union, has written to the Daily Telegraph today in response to a piece the paper published written by Nick Herbert, Tory MP for Arundel & South Downs.
Mr Herbert seeks to blame everyone for the failings of Southern Railways except those who are really to blame – the management team at the company, known to long-suffering passengers as Southern Failways.
We have done our best to reach a sensible and workable compromise with Southern in the interests of passengers and management) as well as of staff. We have always been happy to talk, and we have always believed it is, or should be, possible to do a deal – just as we did with ScotRail in Scotland –* but it takes two to tango and the company has never been prepared to negotiate with us.
Because the company cares only about profit, and not about passengers. The company knows, as we know,that there are serious problems with the platform/train interface and that DOO,on these lines, is inherently unsafe.
It has been our policy for more than 15 years to try to eradicate driver only operation. DOO is old, not new, technology, designed for four-car 317s on the Bedford to St Pancras line in the early 1980s when it was all about managed decline at the fag end of British Rail. But an increase in the number of passengers we are carrying on the railway every day means there are 1,100 passengers on a 12 car train in peak travelling time and just two seconds to check 24 sets of doors and that’s simply not adequate to deal safely and properly with the travelling public.

problem with his postion is he make two erroneous claims. firstly, he ignores they have agreed to DOO on other lines other than the recent ScotRail. secondly, im sure the DOO for old 317 trains is old, but its newer on the 377, 387 and 500 trains. why not be more specific about addressing exact issues needing remedy?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And performing an important safety role.

So important that 70% of the worlds railways can do without it and suffer no problems whatsoever. Yep, that'll be the one. Anyway Southern have just had a huge recruitment drive to appoint hundreds of new On Board Supervisors. Doing the job of the guard for cheaper. Makes good business sense to me. So you're not having your jobs automated, you are being gotten rid of for a cheaper option.

Last edited:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I think if Southern can come out and say that all stations will be updated with the technology to allow DOO or the station will be manned during it's operating hours so no reduction in service then they can move towards phasing out guards.

At the moment they can't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here