Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Passenger power is the only solution. If everyone refused to renew their annual season tickets (most come up at the end of the year) and continued to travel on the old ones then that would bring it to a head.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Passenger power is the only solution. If everyone refused to renew their annual season tickets (most come up at the end of the year) and continued to travel on the old ones then that would bring it to a head.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
How do I get through the barriers with an out of date ticket?

Yoda

English & European
Where SOME of the extra days have come from.

Yes, Southern cocked up here as they have cocked up many things but 1 in 6 conductors had sick leave in May. That's exceptionally high. It's clear that the unions have used sickness as a weapon against Southern and exploited the new rules.

Yes, used in the 'Work to rule' part of a strike. In other words, to not work rest days when already rostered on.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
After three days of closed ticket offices (Southwick not open during advertised hours twice and Worthing closed due to staff shortages), broken ticket machines (2 at Southwick alone) and rude/stupid/couldn't be arsed/ignorant staff at Worthing, I was finally ALLOWED to buy a monthly ticket by Southern/Network Rail this morning. Utter twunts all of them, SASTA, GTR, GoVia, RMT, ASLEF whatever they call themselves. The head of the snake, Southern, should be decapitated, and the cancerous bit in the middle that is rotten to its core, the unions and their members, should be cut out by dismissing the striking staff and not recognising the unions when re-employing.

Personally would love to see any of the organisations involved try to prosecute non paying passengers. It took me THREE days to buy a monthly card, on those days I bought a full priced (hideously expensive) daily ticket. It will not happen again.

And before you ask EnRest, I have moved, so my freebies caused by the rail operators negligence have ended.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yes, but to get out of working a rest day when you are already rostered on after a stike is called, you phone in sick.Its not that difficult to work out and understand.
But according to the unions and a leaked memo published in all the papers at exactly the same time as the published figures, there was effectively an overtime ban.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
FFS!!! How would you get out of working a rest day if you were meant to be working to rule for a strike? YOU CALL IN SICK!!!!
Yes. I'm bloody well aware of that but if sickness rates were high when there was overtime and remain high when there isn't overtime it suggests that there's a problem not related to frigging overtime. Comprendez?

Yoda

English & European
Yes. I'm bloody well aware of that but if sickness rates were high when there was overtime and remain high when there isn't overtime it suggests that there's a problem not related to frigging overtime. Comprendez?

But there wasn't. There was an increase in sick leave compared to prior to strike action, as you link showed.
94cd575a84f8038a5119e6b8711ed247.gif

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
But there wasn't. There was an increase in sick leave compared to prior to strike action, as you link showed.
94cd575a84f8038a5119e6b8711ed247.gif
Eh? They only published May's figures but according to the unions and Southern sickness rates have remained high throughout the strike. From that I'm going to take a leap in the dark and guess that sickness rates were still high in the following months.

Yoda

English & European
Eh? They only published May's figures but according to the unions and Southern sickness rates have remained high throughout the strike. From that I'm going to take a leap in the dark and guess that sickness rates were still high in the following months.

Let me lay it out in simple terms:

1. Guards are already rostered in for working rest days (Overtime)
2. Strike is called and guards are working to rule from first day of strike.
3. To keep to working to rule, guards have to call in sick (hence increase in sick rates at start of strike)
4. At some point (thought to be mid May) Southern ban Overtime anyway (even though they tried to deny this).

The charts Southern show on you link only cover 2 weeks either side of the start of the strike. We have nothing to prove that sickness level returned to normal when overtime was banned or if they increased when the ban was lifted as they have never bothered to try and prove this. Just besmirch the name of the staff & union.

Luckily, my lunch break has finished and I need to get back to work.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

3. To keep to working to rule, guards have to call in sick (hence increase in sick rates at start of strike)
4. At some point (thought to be mid May) Southern ban Overtime anyway (even though they tried to deny this).

The charts Southern show on you link only cover 2 weeks either side of the start of the strike. We have nothing to prove that sickness level returned to normal when overtime was banned or if they increased when the ban was lifted as they have never bothered to try and prove this. Just besmirch the name of the staff & union.

Lucky you getting a lunch break some of us have to work through their lunch break to make up time because they got to work late or have to leave early because of all this bollox that the unions are part of.

Unions, Southern, Government department responsible utter disgrace....

All this is hurting the paying public and all you want to do is hold your hands up and go not my fault mate, you are partly to blame.

And people are losing any sympathy they had with the unions....

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

What do you mean there's nothing to indicate if sickness levels dropped or remained high afterwards?

Southern have said it, the unions have even said it, us commuters know it for a fact because we've been moaning about it for months.

Its probably the only thing that all sides are in agreement about (except for you).

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What do you mean there's nothing to indicate if sickness levels dropped or remained high afterwards?

Southern have said it, the unions have even said it, us commuters know it for a fact because we've been moaning about it for months.

Its probably the only thing that all sides are in agreement about (except for you).

Can you find the quote from the RMT which, after the end of May, states that staff sickness levels have been 'high' (however you define 'high' to be)...?

You keep saying 'according to the unions' sickness has remained high throughout the dispute. They acknowledge higher (not high - it rose to about 8% of staff) levels of sickness in May. But since then, that claim hasn't been made by the RMT - in fact, it has been refuted.

When questioned by the Transport Select Committee in August, Charles Horton, stating there was 'compelling evidence' that staff sickness levels were a form of unofficial industrial action, could produce no actual evidence to show this. And GTR hasn't been able to do so since.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here