Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southend Utd v Brighton & Hove Albion U23s Roots Hall Checkatrade Trophy 30th Aug 19.45 ko

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Eh? Southend didn't play "a lot of youngsters".

Apologies. I was listening to those Southend commentators rabbiting on about how well all their youngsters played and how tthey would have benefited by the experience. Appears they could have only been speaking about Goalie Smith 20 and Kyprianou 19. Teach me to jump to conclusions:dunce:

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Apologies. I was listening to those Southend commentators rabbiting on about how well all their youngsters played and how tthey would have benefited by the experience. Appears they could have only been speaking about Goalie Smith 20 and Kyprianou 19. Teach me to jump to conclusions:dunce:

Since when has a lot been two? It was 80 percent of Southends first 11. Not a bad result probably means our u21s are a bottom half league 2 side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Since when has a lot been two? It was 80 percent of Southends first 11. Not a bad result probably means our u21s are a bottom half league 2 side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty much agree with that and with a target man we would be a hell of a lot better , we played some nice stuff and had 2 clear cut chances to score , i love the outrageous flicks and attempted passes that i could only dream of , that the youngsters were trying , the most important thing about last night was game time for Goldson and Uwe and from what i witnessed they both came through ok though Connor came off early .

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Results

http://www.skysports.com/football/competitions/checkatrade-trophy/results

U23 teams did not do very well, apart from Norwich

Strange analysis, there were twelve U23 teams competing.

4 outright winners (Leicester U23 0-0 then winner on pens) ( Everton U23 win 2-0 ) ( Norwich U23 win 6-1 ) ( Reading U23 win 3-2 )

8 losers (Southampton U23 0-0 then lost on pens) ( 3 games lost 1-0 ) ( 2 games lost 2-0 ) ( 1 game 4-2 loss ) ( 1 game 3-0 )

Nothing to suggest it wasn't competitive every single game, although I would think that it was a particularly nice development environment for many hardened lower league players to play within, similarly an insight for many young U23 players too.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Strange analysis, there were twelve U23 teams competing.

4 outright winners (Leicester U23 0-0 then winner on pens) ( Everton U23 win 2-0 ) ( Norwich U23 win 6-1 ) ( Reading U23 win 3-2 )

8 losers (Southampton U23 0-0 then lost on pens) ( 3 games lost 1-0 ) ( 2 games lost 2-0 ) ( 1 game 4-2 loss ) ( 1 game 3-0 )

Nothing to suggest it wasn't competitive every single game, although I would think that it was a particularly nice development environment for many hardened lower league players to play within, similarly an insight for many young U23 players too.

So THREE 'outright winners' then. A 'win' on penalties in this competition is NOT a win.

I'd say three winners from eleven, backs up the statement that they 'didn't do very well', tbh.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So THREE 'outright winners' then. A 'win' on penalties in this competition is NOT a win.

I'd say three winners from eleven, backs up the statement that they 'didn't do very well', tbh.

If there were results like 4, 5 and 6-0's then maybe, but clearly there isnt, take a look at the results.

Bit like saying saying teams beginning with the letter 'S' didnt do very well, there isnt anything in-particular that makes it a damning night for U23 teams.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
If there were results like 4, 5 and 6-0's then maybe, but clearly there isnt, take a look at the results.

Bit like saying saying teams beginning with the letter 'S' didnt do very well, there isnt anything in-particular that makes it a damning night for U23 teams.

Sure. I'm not damning anyone. But loony Perseus' assertion that they 'didn't do very well', when only 3 of 12 (not 11, my mistake) actually won, is hardly damning, either. They didn't.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I've seen a lot of dev squad games and the tempo of that game and the pace/power/high balls they had to deal with was nothing like an Dev squad league game. Tremendous experience for them and a great example of the levels they need to reach if they want to cut it in the football league.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Sure. I'm not damning anyone. But loony Perseus' assertion that they 'didn't do very well', when only 3 of 12 (not 11, my mistake) actually won, is hardly damning, either. They didn't.

The point must be an overview of the legitimacy of having the U23 competing in the competition, it is clear most lost but not all did and nothing to suggest they are not qualified to compete.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here