Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Southend Utd pitch invasion

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Anybody remember when we went to Southend in September 1987 ?
Seem to remember we invaded the pitch, we lost 2-1 i think, whole day was total mayhem

My first ever away game!

The first time I'd seen fighting in the ground for a long while. It kicked off in the big corner of the away end a couple of times.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think it probably was. His team never looked the same again, stopped winning, got relegated and he got sacked - progressively lower and lower levels ever since. Anyway, there's some football on the tele now, somebody's trying to open up Andorra's box, I think ............................

To be fair Phil Brown's stock had started to fall long before his arrival at Southend, having previously managed clubs much higher up the football pyramid.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
My first ever away game!

The first time I'd seen fighting in the ground for a long while. It kicked off in the big corner of the away end a couple of times.
Its always been the same down there especially in the 70s (1976). Fights and arrests aplenty. I think it made the mainstream newspapers that weekend.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Where was PPF when you needed him? :lolol:

Didn't need him , I was wearing a Sergio top and red Lois jumbo cords, wearing this sort of clothing in the 80s made you instantly wellhard, plus I had a wooden spork in my pocket knowing I'd probably need to be tooled up for the walk to the pub.

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
Where was PPF when you needed him? :lolol:

i would of been their that day but i had a heavy cold and my mum would not let me go and i had to sniff some vick nasal rub to make it better

if i had been their it would of been carnage and i would of taken on there top boys no problem

Regards

DF

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I used to put all the Save Our Seagulls and Bring The Albion Home type stickers on my rear windscreen back in the day. Parked up in Brighton one day two mid twenties walked past the car, one pointed at the stickers and said to his mate “Why bother” and they walked off laughing with each other about this highly amusing comment. I was so used to it I said nothing, why bother? :wink:

I hope they were Pompey fans

I wouldn’t be surprised if they were from Brighton but plastic fans of Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea etc.
Probably got season tickets at the Amex now :rolleyes:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Not only have Southend been on the slide, Phil Brown has come a long way (down) since that day he sat his players in the centre circle for their half time roasting ...............

Not as far as Peter Taylor

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Didn't need him , I was wearing a Sergio top and red Lois jumbo cords, wearing this sort of clothing in the 80s made you instantly wellhard, plus I had a wooden spork in my pocket knowing I'd probably need to be tooled up for the walk to the pub.

Punching a child and taking their scarf …. the making of a real man :lolol:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
i would of been their that day but i had a heavy cold and my mum would not let me go and i had to sniff some vick nasal rub to make it better

if i had been their it would of been carnage and i would of taken on there top boys no problem

Regards

DF

Are you doing that deliberately?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Are you doing that deliberately?

It’s spoof account. Look for the I or i in fairy to see which one it is. It’s bloody annoying sometimes! But is a funny account.

Apr 9, 2020
Charming. I know several, myself included, who appreciated the plight of Brighton in your dark days, and on several occasions visited the Withdean to support you guys where possible. But thank your support.

Jan 30, 2008
Anybody remember when we went to Southend in September 1987 ?
Seem to remember we invaded the pitch, we lost 2-1 i think, whole day was total mayhem

Yes, caught the train from Fenchurch street with GD and a load of others didn"t see any Southend untill after the game when the OB kept them back by a pub just up from the ground

Was this the game with the wheelie bin being thrown down the terrace and Brighton going across the segregated area ?

Regards
DF

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, caught the train from Fenchurch street with GD and a load of others didn"t see any Southend untill after the game when the OB kept them back by a pub just up from the ground

Was this the game with the wheelie bin being thrown down the terrace and Brighton going across the segregated area ?

Regards
DF

Do you really imagine anyone gives a tiny shit what you did, thought or saw ? ??? :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here