Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Southend On Sea Granted City Status

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Blair/New Labour granted B&H city status in 2000, also Wolverhampton. Both included marginal seats :wink: If nsc had existed then, Blair would've been accused of the same thing.

Easy to deem every possible decision as dastardly party politcial, but shirley all large settlements with a wide sphere of influence deserve a similar status.

NSC predates that, comfortably.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Very true, though this was in the 16th Century.

Leeds became a City in 1893 and doesn't have a Cathedral.

There are also quite a few places that have Cathedrals that aren't cities, including Guildford and Blackburn.

:rotlf:
I've been on here since 1997 and I'm a newbie.

Leeds has a Catholic cathedral although that doesn’t count for the charter. It does, however, have the university.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Blair/New Labour granted B&H city status in 2000, also Wolverhampton. Both included marginal seats :wink: If nsc had existed then, Blair would've been accused of the same thing.

Easy to deem every possible decision as dastardly party politcial, but shirley all large settlements with a wide sphere of influence deserve a similar status.

Indeed.

Get them to jump through some hoops to show willing, perhaps, but, yes :thumbsup:

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I'm waiting for Batley to be retrospectivly made a City in memory of Jo Cox or will it not happen as she was a Labour MP?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm waiting for Batley to be retrospectivly made a City in memory of Jo Cox or will it not happen as she was a Labour MP?

It’s true Batley is a town, but the constituency is Batley and Spen(borough). Spenborough is larger consisting of three towns, with Batley only being named first alphabetically. The demograph of the areas is very different.

I’m no Tory, but to be fair on this issue, David Amess had been campaigning for Southend to become a city for over two decades.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
My wife was part of the 3 person council team that put the bid together for B&H city status. I tell people that she loves me so much she turned my home town into a city and put it on the map. With 2 universities and Churchill Square surely it must be a city. As for fecking ancient charters, are New York and Sydney just towns then?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My wife was part of the 3 person council team that put the bid together for B&H city status. I tell people that she loves me so much she turned my home town into a city and put it on the map. With 2 universities and Churchill Square surely it must be a city. As for fecking ancient charters, are New York and Sydney just towns then?

Our ancient charters apply to the United Kingdom. Other countries have their own constitutions.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Our ancient charters apply to the United Kingdom. Other countries have their own constitutions.

We don't really have a constitution though. If we're gonna allow Medieval understanding of the world to guide us we might as well let the Tories rule forever and bring back the ducking stool and scold's bridles for gossips.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We don't really have a constitution though. If we're gonna allow Medieval understanding of the world to guide us we might as well let the Tories rule forever and bring back the ducking stool and scold's bridles for gossips.

Whatever you do, don't mention the idea to GB News

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I think Thunderbolt's point was that other countries have their own way of deciding city status - even former colonies.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Certainly bring back the stocks for taggers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here