Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southend Manager Placed On Gardening Leave

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
For some reason the BBC article isn't working but the description says Southend have relieved him of his duties. Doesn't sound like gardening leave to me (unless it's reported elsewhere!).

Edit: Just seen Ev's link below!

Last edited:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Assuming it is for purely footballing reasons that is very strange timing.

He could have moved onto some very good jobs a few years ago.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Maybe he's taken over from the groundsman

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
what actually IS gardening leave?

cos it sounds quite nice, but probably isn't

Gardening Leave is the Holy Grail of my working life. You carry on getting paid full time but don't have to go to work. Heaven.

Just thought it was strange that SSN reported it as gardening leave rather than the usual "sacked" line

what actually IS gardening leave?

cos it sounds quite nice, but probably isn't
Gardening leave is where you get full pay for staying at home and doing nothing BUT you can't get a job elsewhere. Second only to pay in lieu of notice where you get paid in advance for working but can get another job straight away. Sadly, my lot won't give me either in full although I will get PILON for a month at the end of my notice which is the ultimate - a month's pay for doing no work with the option to get paid elsewhere for the same month. :banana: The only downside is the not having a job at the end of it for either option. :angry:

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
“Garden leave” is the term given to a situation whereby an employee is required to serve out a period of notice at home (or “in the garden”). During this period the employee continues to receive all salary and benefits but is prohibited from commencing employment with new employers until the gardening leave period has expired. It is a practice which employers often adopt with employees who have a certain status whereby they have access to confidential information or customers and where they are leaving to join a competitor. During the gardening leave period the employee’s access to such information or customers is either restricted or denied.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I just finished 3 weeks of gardening leave, I think I preferred to call it Golfing Leave. Start my new job tomorrow morning, got to get to Exeter for 9.30am.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
They've only got about 8 players at the moment and two winding up hearings in the next few weeks. Big problems for Southend.

Hockley Blues

Feb 3, 2005
Southend
Absolutely gutted. Tilson was the only good thing we had left at this club. It's safe to say we're f****d.

Ron Martin has systematically destroyed our club, all because he wanted to chase his Fossetts Farm pipe dream. I genuinely fear we may not make it to the start of the season, let alone avoid relegation...

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
Anyone want to go and bounce the "Lets all laugh at Brighton" thread on the Southend Messageboard?? :laugh: :laugh:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Absolutely gutted. Tilson was the only good thing we had left at this club. It's safe to say we're f****d.

Ron Martin has systematically destroyed our club, all because he wanted to chase his Fossetts Farm pipe dream. I genuinely fear we may not make it to the start of the season, let alone avoid relegation...

Is that not happening now then? I thought you were getting a sack full of money from Sainsbury's?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Anyone want to go and bounce the "Lets all laugh at Brighton" thread on the Southend Messageboard?? :laugh: :laugh:

Time to let that one drop? They did get relegated after all.

Perhaps they can't afford to pay Tilson but can't afford to sack him due to compensation clauses. So they give him notice then tell him to stay away so he can't sign for another club in the meantime and nick Southend's players.

Either way, they do sound a bit screwed.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Big surprise but by all accounts it sounds like Sarfend are f***ed & destined for the football club graveyard

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here