Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Southend high street

tommyseagull

Jan 11, 2012
I used to live in Southend , everyone are west ham fans mainly. How effing strange! Where abouts is that on the high street?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
This is obviously a thin attempt at 'franchise' football, similar to sport in the States and to a lesser extent places like Australia. I dont like it, our football is community based, our community identity defines the club and visa versa. In Brighton it would be trashed ( not condoning it), though I think even the unpredictable B&H city council would give plans the elbow.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I remember going to a pub right on the front at Southend before an Albion match there in the 90s (Kuipers first game for us) and the pub was covered with West Ham and Spurs scarves and memorabilia.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I remember Brighton had a Man UTD shop, think it was connected to Clinton Cards? It was next to Churchill Square.

Yes I remember that - early 90s definitely. Just along from Churchill Square towards Hove. I think it was "Birthdays" rather than Clintons though

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I was in Southend today and didn't notice this grim sight. It's not surprising though is it? Everyone in these parts seem to support West Ham, Spurs or Arsenal..you even see a fair few Liverpool tops knocking about for some reason.

You get what you deserve I suppose.

This is true, but was the situation so very different in Brighton prior to our move to the Amex? In fact it wasn't until we left the Goldstone that we had our own presence in the city centre, prompted of course by the move to Gillingham. So l'm surprised in a way that one or two of the big wealthy London clubs didn't try to muscle in with a shop of their own here.

It has only really been the last few years that has seen young kids, playing football in the parks and streets in their Albion tops.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here