Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton v Brighton & Hove Albion **** Official Match Thread ****

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
You had a plan to play for a draw and in the first half it worked. I don't think we were inept at all, after all a game is 90 minutes long and so we may have been less effective in the first half but more than made up for it in the second. Anyway, every team has off days. The difference is that our off days like today (arguably) and Reading have yielded results. That's why we are top of the league and well clear of third.
Well done :shrug:

Chin Strain

Oct 21, 2011
On the bus
My view, from the perspective of a Saints season ticket holder is:

1st half BHA kept the ball ok, but seemed to be trying to stifle the game and hit on the break (much like last season at SMS). We took 25 minutes to get into it. Can't comment on the penalty claims - too far away.

2nd half, we changed our tactics, and BHA didn't. The goal was coming and, at 1 nil, and considering the lack of shots on target (nil) that BHA had I was reasonably comfortable that we'd win (especially considering our home record since Jan). I felt that BHA would have to change tactics and come and have a go which would open up the game and give us more opportunities - that's been the way so far this season with 24 goals scored and only 5 conceded at home.

The Hammond penalty claim - dive IMHO (my seat is in that stand behind the goal, but the other side of the goal. Fair booking and not what I want to see my players do. It's not typical of him from what I've seen.

The 1st penalty. Laughable. One of the worst refereeing decisions I've ever seen at SMS (not as bad as Pahars 'scoring' v Sunderland, crossing the line by about a yard and the ref not giving it). Taricco....sure he was upset, but he'd been winding the ref up the whole game, and if he stepped out of line and did call the ref a f***ing cheat then what does he expect. He should have more self control at his age, and considering his managerial position.

The Lambert penalty claim. One of the worst decisions I've ever seen at SMS (again!). Shocking, shocking decision not to give a penalty.

2nd penalty - nailed on. No reason to complain from Calderon. He tripped him, end of story. Quite what he was arguing about I have no idea. What Walton was doing blowing the whistle when Harper wasn't ready was bizarre.

Tactics. If I'm honest I thought Poyet came up short. You were still playing the short ball to the centre half from the keeper, even though we had a man more. How many times did we nick the ball from him? It should have been a cricket score, and Harper made 3 or 4 great saves from Chaplow, Barnard and Lambert, plus the ones we missed. Peterborough played an hour with 10 men at 2-0 down a few weeks ago against us, and were very, very well organised. They nearly nicked something at the end. BHA, IMHO, lost all discipline and shape with 10 men. The Navarro lunge on Cork, for example, should have been a straight red - shocking tackle.

I felt like there was no plan B from Poyet. I think everything is based on keeping the ball, running the clock and opposition players down and having a go in the last 20. As soon as we scored the plan became redundant, and we'll never know how it would have turned out if the 1st penalty and red card hadn't have happened - my view, based on our record, is that we would have won anyway.

Adkins swapped things around at half time and we played more of a diamond with Lallana just behind the front 2.

I don't think we played particularly well but still think we were worthy winners, irrespective of the 1st penalty. I wonder whether CMS is the right player for you. He played in a Peterborough team that were gung-ho and he suited that style. You don't seem to play like that and, on the face of it, Poyet seems to have spent £3.25m on a player that doesn't suit his system.

Just my honest opinion....I'm long enough in the tooth to say what my eyes see, not what my heart says.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
We were 1-0 up and dominating though. And you are conveniently forgetting the two stonewallers denied to us in the first half.

So us being top of the league (and winning 20 home games in a row) is a fluke then. OK.

:lolol:

But how many times has a team who have been playing for a 0-0 draw suddenly become far more attacking and produced far more of a threat after going 1-0 down. One goal doesn't mean the game was over, and can fire the opposition to attack which could have led to an equaliser or more. It doesn't mean that that was going to happen though but having a very dodgy ref incorrectly giving the 1st penalty and then as a result of the crap decision sending off one of our players for protesting the decision meant we had little chance to get anything from the game. We were poor 1st half against Leeds and 2-0 before turing it around and leading 3-2 before their late equaliser, so because you had gone 1-0 up and were playing better up til then doesn't mean that would have been the pattern of play for the rest of the game.

I don't mind it when we lose because we were outplayed and the other team deserved it, but in this case those decisions spoilt it as a contest, it may have ended up with the same score line but we didn't get to see if we could fight back and get something from the match due to a crap reffing decision which is what was disappointing.

Last edited:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
A fairly honest view from Chin Strain.

Totally agree that Gus does not have an effective plan 'B', its been said on here before that when things don't go right for us we lose our purpose and things tend to unravel. Any decent manager (and his captain on the pitch) should instill his team with the character and spirit so they are capable of digging deep after going down to 10 men and or losing a goal by getting stuck, grinding out a draw or at worse show some grit and go down fighting. Having played amateur footie for many years it was always more satisfying for our team to come back from adversity and grind out a result.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

1st half BHA kept the ball ok, but seemed to be trying to stifle the game and hit on the break (much like last season at SMS). We took 25 minutes to get into it. Can't comment on the penalty claims - too far away.

2nd half, we changed our tactics, and BHA didn't. The goal was coming and, at 1 nil, and considering the lack of shots on target (nil) that BHA had I was reasonably comfortable that we'd win (especially considering our home record since Jan). I felt that BHA would have to change tactics and come and have a go which would open up the game and give us more opportunities - that's been the way so far this season with 24 goals scored and only 5 conceded at home.

The Hammond penalty claim - dive IMHO (my seat is in that stand behind the goal, but the other side of the goal. Fair booking and not what I want to see my players do. It's not typical of him from what I've seen.

The 1st penalty. Laughable. One of the worst refereeing decisions I've ever seen at SMS (not as bad as Pahars 'scoring' v Sunderland, crossing the line by about a yard and the ref not giving it). Taricco....sure he was upset, but he'd been winding the ref up the whole game, and if he stepped out of line and did call the ref a f***ing cheat then what does he expect. He should have more self control at his age, and considering his managerial position.

The Lambert penalty claim. One of the worst decisions I've ever seen at SMS (again!). Shocking, shocking decision not to give a penalty.

2nd penalty - nailed on. No reason to complain from Calderon. He tripped him, end of story. Quite what he was arguing about I have no idea. What Walton was doing blowing the whistle when Harper wasn't ready was bizarre.

]=45689

raZSXG#
Tactics. If I'm honest I thought Poyet came up short. You were still playing the short ball to the centre half from the keeper, even though we had a man more. How many times did we nick the ball from him? It should have been a cricket score, and Harper made 3 or 4 great saves from Chaplow, Barnard and Lambert, plus the ones we missed. Peterborough played an hour with 10 men at 2-0 down a few weeks ago against us, and were very, very well organised. They nearly nicked something at the end. B
]=['[
A, IMHO, lost all discipline and shape with 10 men. The Navarro lunge on Cork, for example, should have been a straight red - shocking tackle.

I felt like there was no plan B from Poyet. I think everything is based on keeping the ball, running the clock and opposition players down and having a go in the last 20. As soon as we scored the plan became redundant, and we'll never know how it would have turned out if the 1st penalty and red card hadn't have happened - my view, based on our record, is that we would have won anyway.
]#
Adkins swapped things around at half time and we played more of a diamond with Lallana just behind the front 2.

I don't think we played particularly well but still think we were worthy winners, irrespective of the 1st penalty. I wonder whether CMS is the right player for you. He played in a Peterborough team that were gung-ho and he suited that style. You don't seem to play like that and, on the face of it, Poyet seems to have spent £3.25m on a playerthat doesn't suit his system.

Just my honest opinion....I'm long enough in the tooth to say what my eyes see, not what my heart says.

Nice to get an honest view from a Saints fan, cant disagree with most of what you say

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Tactics. If I'm honest I thought Poyet came up short. You were still playing the short ball to the centre half from the keeper, even though we had a man more. How many times did we nick the ball from him? It should have been a cricket score, and Harper made 3 or 4 great saves from Chaplow, Barnard and Lambert, plus the ones we missed. Peterborough played an hour with 10 men at 2-0 down a few weeks ago against us, and were very, very well organised. They nearly nicked something at the end. BHA, IMHO, lost all discipline and shape with 10 men. The Navarro lunge on Cork, for example, should have been a straight red - shocking tackle.

I don't think we played particularly well but still think we were worthy winners, irrespective of the 1st penalty. I wonder whether CMS is the right player for you. He played in a Peterborough team that were gung-ho and he suited that style. You don't seem to play like that and, on the face of it, Poyet seems to have spent £3.25m on a player that doesn't suit his system.

I thought the tactics of Gus were OK. Just that Paynter and Harley were not good enough. Playing 4-4-2 as the manual says does leave a gap between the defence and attack. Never realised how much before this game. Adkins maybe ahead of Gus, but this was an away match against the leaders. Got to have a B2B midfielder. Links between the two.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here