Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton Saved (what a shock)

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
From the BBC:

Swiss seals Southampton takeover

Swiss Markus Liebherr has completed his takeover of League One Southampton.

The Saints' future had been uncertain following the collapse of the proposed takeover by Matt Le Tissier's Pinnacle group on 30 June.

Liebherr is expected to have finalised his boardroom line-up at St Mary's by August, before the new season begins.

"I believe we have a superb opportunity to rebuild this great club. This will require resources, planning, hard work and patience," he told BBC Solent.

"We should not expect instant success, but our fans, employees and stakeholders can expect 100% commitment from me and my team.

"We will assemble a strong management team at every level of the club. We will act rapidly, but also plan for the long term, because I am here for the long term.

He was attracted by the club's rich sporting heritage, loyal fan-base, first-class stadium and training facilities

"I also look forward to the club re-engaging with the fans and the local community. We cannot succeed without their backing."

Liebherr was on the board of Liebherr Holdings until 2007 and has been running his own group of companies, the Mali Group, since 1994.

A statement read: "DMWSL613 Limited is pleased to announce that it has acquired the assets of Southampton Leisure Holdings, principally Southampton Football Club for an undisclosed sum."

Saints manager Mark Wotte told BBC South Today: "I think it looks very good, and it's about time.

"It's been extremely difficult, there has been lots of worrying about the future of this great club but hopefully we can look to a better future.

"The most important thing is that the club will be saved and we can look to a better future and start working to get back to the Championship."

Joint administrator Mark Fry's deadline for the sale of the football club had passed on Friday without him carrying out a threat to wind up the club.

"The sale of the Saints to Markus Liebherr is a fantastic opportunity to rebuild the club," said Fry.

"He was attracted to Southampton by a number of qualities which include the club's rich sporting heritage, loyal fan-base, first-class stadium and training facilities and the potential for the Saints to regain their rightful place at the higher echelons of English football.

"I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all Saints' fans for their support and patience in what have been uncertain times for the club. I would also like to wish both Markus and the club well for future success."

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Oh what football has become...

DMWSL613 Limited is pleased to announce that it has acquired the assets of Southampton Leisure Holdings, principally Southampton Football Club for an undisclosed sum

''DMWSL613 Limited''

Oh right.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Makes for a cracking chant

"Give us a D..."

"DEE-EE!!"

"Give us an M..."

"EM-MM."

etc etc

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The Administrator certainly has a high opinion of the club he threatened to wind-up:

"He was attracted to Southampton by a number of qualities which include the club's rich sporting heritage, loyal fan-base, first-class stadium and training facilities and the potential for the Saints to regain their rightful place at the higher echelons of English football."

Bloody stupid thing to say, that was the attitude that saw them relegated in the first place

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
From the BBC:

He was attracted by the club's rich sporting heritage, loyal fan-base, first-class stadium and training facilities

"/QUOTE]

Not the rock bottom give away price then?

Glad they're saved now let's hope they end up with -25 points and get relegated again this season. The arrogant pricks could do with a few seasons in the 4th Division.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Anyone hear the sports news on Talksport today ? They had a fan saying 'We have the biggest/best fan base on the south coast'.. :tosser:

I'm not sure which one it was but either way:

Biggest - Can't be right, The Dell held less than 20k at the end, and only 30k at it's biggest.

Best - Shame about the takeover today, as we might just have seen how many loyal (bestist..) fans there really are when bottom of the 3rd division..

If last year they had to close some stands due to lack of fans, what would have been in store this year... :tumble:

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Anyone hear the sports news on Talksport today ? They had a fan saying 'We have the biggest/best fan base on the south coast'.. :tosser:

Saints fans only tend to think there are 2 teams as their version of the south coast only includes Hampshire. ???

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That is the reason why I was ambivalent about the whole charade. I had not forgotten what happened to our club, but there was patently a few parties playing the game until the eleventh hour to get the best deal. Shame the Stains, despite spending WAy beyond their means, have ended up with a billionaire (I guess the same goes for us). Football is shit.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
As the new owner is Swiss , will the Argus report our wins over Southampton as a roll over ? :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here